Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyUTS Web Solutions

Thread: CVA & Powerbelts

Default CVA & Powerbelts

I hunt with a CVA Accura MR and a 270 grain Powerbelt Platinum with 110 grains of Black MZ for deer and hogs. I have said many times that the most popular SC combo for black powder season is a CVA muzzleloader and a Powerbelt bullet... mainly because they are available at Wal-Mart. How many SC/NC hunters out there shoot these two together,,, what is your CVA muzzleloader/Powerbelt bullet combination for deer and hogs?
    Ruger 77 .243
    Ruger 77 .308
    Ruger No. 1S 30-06
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .41 mag
    Leupold Optics

I havent shot em in a cva but my tc tree hawk, grey hawk and encore all love the 295gr ones over 90gr of pyrodex. Hadnt shot a deer with one yet but hope to this season. Mine shoot same poi with great plains bullets too

I shoot 230 grain Power Belts,100gr of Pyrodex in my CVA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be careful even monkeys fall out of trees. www.whitetailsunlimitedtaxidermy.com www.swampboogers.com

SPONSOR

I use the copper AeroTip 295 gr. in my CVA with 100 gr. triple 7. Shoots fair and easy loading.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

you read alot of bad stuff about em but they sure are easy to load and shoot well to me. I dont know if people are making bad shots or what but i feel like one in the boiler room or high shoulder and you will for sure have venison on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller Ridge View Post
    you read alot of bad stuff about em but they sure are easy to load and shoot well to me. I dont know if people are making bad shots or what but i feel like one in the boiler room or high shoulder and you will for sure have venison on the ground.
    Exactly! You do have to watch your powder load with the light weight Powerbelts, but that's it. For the critters available to us here in SC I like the following Powerbelt/loose powder load combos (I'm not a pellet fan):

The Copper Series:
    295 and 348 grain Aerotip with 90 to 100 grains of powder. For a really big hog or really big bear, I would go with the 405 grain Aerotip with 110-120 grains of powder.

The Platinum Series:
    All of these are awesome with 90 to 120 grains of powder... I like the 270 grain for SC hunting. Again, if you have some big nasty swamp hogs in your area, go with the 338 grain and 110-120 grains of powder. The 338 does not give up a lot of bullet drop compared to the 270.

The Aerolite Series:
    There were designed for 100 grains of powder. The 250 grain works great on deer, but if you hunt were you may get a shot on a big hog or maybe even a bear... I would go with the 300 grain.

Any of these combos will shoot good and kill even better.
    Last edited by Ruger Rebel; 05-18-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    Ruger 77 .243
    Ruger 77 .308
    Ruger No. 1S 30-06
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .41 mag
    Leupold Optics

i bought a pack of pellets and they might be easier to load in a pinch, but i'll stick with loose powder. Ive gotta work up a load for my encore pistol. Hopefully it like powerbelts and great plains like my other ones

They kill deer just fine. They get a bad rap for poor penetration, which has been my experience. From a treestand with no exit means poor, if any bloodtrail. Without my bloodhound, I could have easily lost several deer.

Last deer I shot was with a 295 powerbelt HP ahead of 150 gr. of triple 7 in my Knight disc rifle. Bullet entered the right front shoulder and stopped just under the skin on the left hind quarter. I say good penetration and mase a mess on the internals. ran 50 yards.