Advertise on SCONSouthern Junkey

Thread: DNR Turkey Hunter Survey

Default DNR Turkey Hunter Survey

All, donít discard this survey when you receive it in the mail, fill it out and return it as every survey matters. Our population decline isnít contained in just our borders, the entire southeast is seeing a significant reduction in numbers that is quite concerning. Where we all have differing opinions on what may be causing our decline in population I believe we all have the same goal in mind, betterment for spring turkey hunting and turkeys in general, these surveys are a step in the right direction in finding answers.

Thanks,
    Ricky

Got one last week.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Turned mine in. Marked decreasing. Thanks for reminding us, CCLeroy.

Good to hear.

Also, you can sign up for surveys to be emailed to you.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/turkey/turkeysurvey.html

I signed me up online, didn't think to sign Mark up. He got a survey a week ago and I still haven't gotten one. So I wonder should I just wait or call them.
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.

Quote Originally Posted by spur hunter View Post
    I signed me up online, didn't think to sign Mark up. He got a survey a week ago and I still haven't gotten one. So I wonder should I just wait or call them.
    Do they send them to everyone with turkey tags or just a random selection of hunters like the deer survey?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Get your flawed surveys in quick.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Why are they flawed? Pretty straight forward to me. Would be good to know how many gobbling turkeys hunters heard.
    Henry Ford

They use the numbers to come up with opportunities which is how they base success rates and the whole premise of how long a hunter takes to bag a bird but the questions and choices are set up to be flawed. It asks how many days you hunted and it asks how many you kill. Doesnt take into account you may have only actually had a gun in hand 2 days but you may have hunted with others 20 days and watched several birds die. So if I hunted 20 days altogether and killed 3 in the first 2 days but guided others the remainder then it figures 3 birds in 20 days. Not 3 birds in 2 days. The opportunity numbers are completely wrong as the survey sits right now.
    Infamous Beard Buster

I see your point but when you guided others you weren’t the gunner. He would include those days and kills on his survey. I would say your guiding hunts were probably not something they would have thought of. If you and I went fishing and we caught twenty fish, I caught 12 and you caught 8 that is how I would score my card not the 20 even if I was guiding and saw all the fish landed.
    Henry Ford

But it’s flawed unless everyone was to be surveyed which isn’t going to happen.
    Infamous Beard Buster

The way they ask it doesn’t really allow for that. Most turkey hunters I know have this exact situation every year.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Do they send them to everyone with turkey tags or just a random selection of hunters like the deer survey?
    Not sure this year. I guess I'll give them a call this week and find out. I've filled out every survey sent to me over the years and always signed them. Why? Just because I guess. I encourage you all to participate if you can. It's your "vote" of sorts so be honest filling it out and don't let someone try to silence you.

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    But it’s flawed unless everyone was to be surveyed which isn’t going to happen.
    This fact has been discussed several time on this forum. You either believe in statistical analysis or you don't. Statistics are at least as accurate as a 100% survey as it allows for those who lie or don't return the survey. If done honestly it is a good tool. If done with a preconceived outcome it is useless. If all hunters conspired they could essentially skew the results, however most fill it out honestly. Besides you could never get all hunters to agree on anything.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by spur hunter View Post
    Not sure this year. I guess I'll give them a call this week and find out. I've filled out every survey sent to me over the years and always signed them. Why? Just because I guess. I encourage you all to participate if you can. It's your "vote" of sorts so be honest filling it out and don't let someone try to silence you.
    Agreed. Already sent mine back.
    Henry Ford

Good on everyone turning in their surveys. One things for certain, if they are not turned in the numbers canít be used for betterment or research. I personally know some of the people working on turkey research in SC NOW and these surveys DO help. I prefer to turn my surveys in toward the betterment of the resource rather than sitting here and listening to myself complain like a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Good on everyone turning in their surveys. One things for certain, if they are not turned in the numbers can’t be used for betterment or research. I personally know some of the people working on turkey research in SC NOW and these surveys DO help. I prefer to turn my surveys in toward the betterment of the resource rather than sitting here and listening to myself complain like a broken record.
    I signed up on the DNR site weeks ago, and posted the link here...get turkey tags and hunt every year since the 1990s, still have not received a survey yet.

Well, I finally got the online survey via email today, still no paper survey via snail mail. The online survey was very light on turkey population-type questions...only did you think this season was average, above average, below average. The rest of the questions were about where you hunted, how often, what equipment you used, and reaping.

Got the survey and encouraged others to fill it out, but it was disappointing there was not more questions about sightings and what hunters heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.í Isaiah 41:10

Got an online survey today via the DNR website. It was separate from the mailed survey and maybe more an asnswer to some of your questions.
    Henry Ford

Did my online survey yesterday too. The online instructions also said to participate in the mailed version too, but I haven't received that one yet.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Did my part.