Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyAdvertise on SCON

Thread: Deer and deer minerals

Default Deer and deer minerals

Yall ever wondered which kind of minerals deer prefer? Or what the difference is between each brand? We've got some interesting information here for you regarding minerals. When, how, and why deer use minerals. We're brand new to the YOUTUBE scene and just launching our first of weekly videos. Please like, share and subscribe, as we rely heavily on the hunters and outdoors communities support. Look forward to seeing yall around
    Thanks in advance, Strung Out Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIu...eK2dlFbcj8S6Aw
    Strung Out Outdoors

Tough crowd here, huh
    Strung Out Outdoors

No, but are we just looking at spam here?
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

I enjoyed your video. Looks like you spent some time to research it. I have always used a bag of trace minerals for my salt licks. Good luck with your channel

No, Sir

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by STANLEY View Post
    I enjoyed your video. Looks like you spent some time to research it. I have always used a bag of trace minerals for my salt licks. Good luck with your channel
    Thank you for your time and kind words
    Strung Out Outdoors

Typically when a guy's very first post here is an advertisement, he doesn't tend to receive the warmest of welcomes.

With that being said....welcome and enjoy
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

Quote Originally Posted by muledeer View Post
    Typically when a guy's very first post here is an advertisement, he doesn't tend to receive the warmest of welcomes.

I agree with you muledeer.

I use minerals religiously and agree with him about most are gimmicks and donít really help the deer but the right ones can really make a difference. On other hand Hows the bucks out your way looking Mule?

Just trying to reach out to like minded folks in the hunting community. No harm meant and Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Just trying to reach out to like minded folks in the hunting community. No harm meant and Thanks
    Strung Out Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    I agree with you muledeer.

I use minerals religiously and agree with him about most are gimmicks and don’t really help the deer but the right ones can really make a difference. On other hand Hows the bucks out your way looking Mule?
    Last years buck went 162" on the nose. Got a couple decent prospects showing up but nothing crazy. Neighbors wounded a buck that I had seen on the farm since 2015. Found him 5 weeks later....went 191" typical

Quote Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post

- - - Updated - - -

No harm done bud. Just wanted to shed some light on the situation for you.

Strung out, I’ve noticed on dry years they use our minerals more than when it’s wet. It’s like they won’t mess with them if it’s wet Any idea why? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    Strung out, I’ve noticed on dry years they use our minerals more than when it’s wet. It’s like they won’t mess with them if it’s wet Any idea why? Thanks
    Im not 100% sure, but Ill take a crack it. As we all know, droughts can be stressful on the deer. Some vitamins and minerals are known to relieve stress. If those vitamins and or minerals are in your supplements, then I think that could have something to do with it. I find that interesting because its usually the other way around from my experience. It could also be, that the salt minerals are making them salivate and they find some kind of comfort in that? But in reality, the salt would be dehydrating them. Im really not sure. Do you have water sources near your mineral sites?

Edit: It could also be that the food plots and or natural browse is becoming less palatable due to the dry weather. In turn they seek out the minerals
    Strung Out Outdoors

Tater50
    When I owned some property in McCormick I had a salt lick that I could watch from my cabin. The deer had used it so much the had dug a hole about 2 ft. in dia. and about 9 in. deep. On the years that had a lot of rain the deer would come up to the salt lick and drink the water that accumulated in the hole. Maybe that is why it looks like the deer are not using the lick. They may be drinking the standing water or runoff around the lick.

Quote Originally Posted by STANLEY View Post
    Tater50
    When I owned some property in McCormick I had a salt lick that I could watch from my cabin. The deer had used it so much the had dug a hole about 2 ft. in dia. and about 9 in. deep. On the years that had a lot of rain the deer would come up to the salt lick and drink the water that accumulated in the hole. Maybe that is why it looks like the deer are not using the lick. They may be drinking the standing water or runoff around the lick.
    Your right
    Strung Out Outdoors

great video