Advertise on SCONWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Season/Limits Review/Change for 2019 and beyond...

Default Season/Limits Review/Change for 2019 and beyond...

Have a friend who says he spoke to Charles Ruth...mentioned that they are considering cutting all of March out of season...said that they think the early season is adversely affecting breeding and contributing to our overall population decline. I certainly hope not...what have y'all heard, if anything?

I am fine with cutting out March, wish they would let us go to May 15. I have not heard a thing other than speculation.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.í Isaiah 41:10

Ruth has said that the population decline is all over the southeast. Do all other southeastern states open in March? Plus I thought they were saying the population was declining for several years even when it opened April 1st in the upstate.

I have seen more poults this year than ever before for what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    Ruth has said that the population decline is all over the southeast. Do all other southeastern states open in March? Plus I thought they were saying the population was declining for several years even when it opened April 1st in the upstate.

I have seen more poults this year than ever before for what itís worth.
    Ground birds hatch and survival rates are very dependent on weather. Then you still have to factor in coyotes. This year our weather has been non typical.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Smoke and mirrors folks!!!! March 15 was the start date since I was 11 and before that. I am now 35. We have plenty of birds. Itís all about restricting , controling the people in the population, and first is the money. No population decline. Just wannabe influencers that think they can QDM our turkeys while maximizing profitability and control. After time passes they will squeeze us hunters more and more.
    I am not fine with cutting March. Itís actually the only month that can be good enough temp wise to take a kid hunting for turkey. Moving the dates wonít do crap in the lowcountry except piss off a lot of hunters.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    Do all other southeastern states open in March?
    roughly 15 Mar - 15 May here I think
    Yippee Ki Yay

Well they lowered the limit and lengthened the season?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Length is same in lowcountry from change 3 years ago. Limit lower.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole thing is a PR type hidden agenda move to get upper and lower state the same seasons, limits, etc.
    Infamous Beard Buster

It was a sunset law where the SCDNR was suppose to submit a report on the impact of the change. They were given another year. SCDNR did an extensive study in 70's that showed April 1st was the best date for an opener in the Piedmont. Dave Bauum always pushed for an statewide April opener and lower limits. The DNR wants most of the hens bred before the season starts. I doubt they will say that is the only factor in the decline but one if many that the GA can control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

I’m not in the piedmont.
    Infamous Beard Buster

From what I hear and read the numbers are down on WMA more so than private land. That season opens in April so the March argument makes no sense.

Ill throw this out there, I don’t have faith in DNR when they say that our population of deer and turkeys are down. The woods will be full of jakes next year and the year after that a bunch of long beards will be killed and then they will be patting themselves on their backs telling us how good of a job they did to get our population back up. We get deer tags now and encourage us to lay off the does but here in the upstate I know a place where they have killed 34 deer in the past 4 days with the dep. permits on one small tract of land. Doesn’t sound like a deer population problem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    Iím not in the piedmont.
    Longitudinal, lol.

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

No smoke and mirrors. I've hunted over 35 years as if that has any bearing on the subject. Can kill low state turkeys in April just fine too.
    Sure the season has started March 15th in the lower part of the state. It's also a true statement that All WMAs in any part of the state have always had April 1st openers and still do now. Clear to me what the DNR thinks on when the season should open. There is enough green up by March 15th to warrant the early opener there, that from my opinion only. If there is an attempt to even things statewide then just shorten the season there for specific game zones. Probably won't happen though simply based on enforcement issues. April 1st opener for a month long season in the upstate and would improve hunting quality overall IMO. Worked for a lot of years even with a 5 bird limit too.
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.

The guy in charge of restocking turkeys in SC always opposed a start anywhere in SC before April. Few have a resume' like him and he killed them. Sure restocking worked across SC with a handful states starting 16 days before the rest if the state. But was that optimum date? Would things had been better if they waited. The population has decreased in states with more restricted seasons and limits except Tennessee but their boom was later than most.

What I can't believe is another conspiracy theory. I think DNR sticks their mission statement while dealing with politics. The last change there was a gag order on biologist.

I do not know the answer but I hope turkeys do not go the way of quail.

In managing wildlife I think there are many dynamics not seen. Some that can be control and others that cannot. I went to college to make money and my career is crunching numbers at a desk. So I will defer to the ones that took a lesser salary to be a steward and have 30 plus years managing and hunting.

Been some big brood flock on our place this summer. However I cant help but wonder what effect coyotes are having on turkey. There was a deer study of course but maybe there needs to be a turkey study too. I am not an expert turkey hunters by any means but have had several coyotes come to my set up even charge the decoys. It is hard to imagine there is not effect. We are not really seeing a decline in our woods but massive winter flocks for the last several years. Spring time not so much.
    Henry Ford

SC is complicated. DNR tried to add stakeholder groupd to deer, turkey and stripper. The stripper group worked out, dog hunters ruined the deer committee. I would be good with hunters like Spur, RP (Orangeburg), HG (Bonnuea) and I am sure there are others hunters that could add to the discussion. I trust biologsts to see things hunters miss, but the DNR boards are major donors to the governor and then legislators want votes 1st and foremost. Biologist and stakeholders are about the resource but the next process adds a voter balance.

I really donít understand all this discussion on turkey population being down. I can see the decline on WMA due to all the burns during nesting season but when yíall talked about turkey numbers booming I struggled and would get a limit here and there but would just go hunt and not prepare, but for the last several years I have tagged out in just a few hunts as has buddies of mine and still have lots of birds left. Guess Iím fortunate but we donít shoot jakes and we make the habitat desirable for them.

Goes back to the old saying if you want something done right do it yourself so thatís what we do instead of relying on the state to make the hunting good. Works for us with both deer and turkeys.

Rofl. Thanks, bo.

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Rofl. Thanks, bo.

Go ahead big Whig!! 😀