Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySwamp Boogers

Thread: Whos goin tomorrow

Default Whos goin tomorrow

Anybody gonna get tbat gator tomorrow. I will be on santee

Stlhunter and I are going in the morning. It’s his tag and my first gator hunt. Hopefully we have something to post about soon. Good luck

Yep, going to the Cooper. Bringing a friend along...incase I need some bait.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Yippee Ki Yay

Launched the boat at 11:15. Went straight across from the landing to sit in the shade and wait for legal hunt time. 11:40, while we are rigging up the boat gear where we wanted it, looked across the Tailrace Canal and see 9 footer swimming down from the bridge, 100 yards up from the landing. It went up near the bank and submerged. Figured it was going to be laying on the bottom in 4 feet of water...so we planned to sneak up on it 12:01.

Well, snuck up where it went down and could see the bottom well in the clear water, but Gator had moved up current about 25 yards. It was laying on the bottom but we didn't see it ( were looking right when we should have looked left ) until it stuck it's head up 20 feet from the front of the boat, saw us and exploded away. We stay around about 30 minutes waiting from him to surface, but boat traffic got bad and we figured he wasn't sticking around.

Went down to the rice fields an searched there, and saw many smaller Gators. Hooked one seven-ish footer but it came off. Stalked a few others, missed one by getting snagged in the grass. Finally seen one about the size we wanted, and we snuck up on it. It was laying in hydrilla where they are difficult to snag because of the g r a s s - so I cast a large top water popper out in front of it to entice it into the open. Don't know if it was because of that, or it was trying to escape us...but it came out into the open water. Big mistake on it's part. I got it snagged up and fought it a few minutes while my buddy got the boat into more open water...then I handed him the rod so he could fight it, while I got a harpoon ready.

I had fun watching the tug of war, while trying to keep the boat between the Gator and the bank so it couldn't get back in the grass. Kept telling my buddy to lean on it whenever the Gator hung onto the bottom. He dragged it up twice, and I missed it both times with the harpoon ( hit it once but the dart bounced off ) and on the third time I managed to slam the dart well into it's back. Fight only lasted a few more minutes after that. A 22 Mag round ended it.

Not the biggest at 7 foot, but a lot of fun and will eat good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

That was quick. Nice gator.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Nice! Glad you didn't have to use all your bait
    Yippee Ki Yay

Got picked for Pee Dee, which I know nothing about that area. Put in at Pole Yard landing in North Santee. Saw tons of gators, but they were all small in the 4-6ft range. Holding out for a trophy!

We tried hard. We literally covered about 200 miles Saturday, Sunday and quit around 4a.m. this morning. The biggest gator we saw was 8-9. This was on Combahee and Ashepoo rivers. Looks like we'll give it another try in 2 more weeks.

Yeah its tough out there! We hunted until sunrise but still couldn't find anything big. Maybe all of the bigger gators have been taken? I've heard it takes them years to get that large.

Quote Originally Posted by MurseHunter View Post
    Maybe all of the bigger gators have been taken? I've heard it takes them years to get that large.
    It's hard to say. It did seem a lot easier to get in range of a big gator back in 2012? And the ones we have taken since then keep going down in size.

About how long it takes for them to get that big.....according to one of the only studies that exists it is actually a lot less time than most people think. From this article:

http://newsstand.clemson.edu/mediare...-reproduction/

"Rainwater and Wilkinson estimate, on average, the male alligators stopped growing sometime between 25 and 30 years of age."

I hope it was just a weather thing, but you can't deny there have been a lot of large alligators taken since SC started alligator hunting. If the population is estimated at 100,000 and there have been (rough guess) 80 gators per year over 10 ft since 2010 = 640 gators over 10 ft.....What was the starting population of gators over 10 ft.....what is the replacement since then? I think someone could get a rough idea if they put some time into it.

Buddy got one Saturday in Georgetown that was 10 ft.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Awesome storys