Advertise on SCONSwamp Boogers

Thread: Feeling on the Remington 280 cal. ??

Default Feeling on the Remington 280 cal. ??

I'm trading for an older model,Browning A-Bolt Stainless 280 Rem -- thoughts if you have owned one ??

From what I read, necked down 30-06 -- ballistics are very close to .270 ( 130gr. bullet ) vrs. using a 140gr. bullet in the 280 ?? -- I've never had one, nor have I ever had a stainless barrel rifle, so it will be something ""NEW TO ME"" --- alway value you guys knowledge & advice -- Monk**

280 is a great round and it has a lot of bullet selections. You can do a lot with it when reloading. It is similar to the 06 and the 7 mag (uses the same bullet). It is a fun cartridge and one that is great to play with.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Hard to find ammo unless you reload.

if i had a choice between that, a 7mm-08, or a 7mm Rem Mag... I think I would choose it.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by vermontlad View Post
    Hard to find ammo unless you reload.
    But not impossible. My father has shot a .280 since the 70s. Never had to look that hard to find ammo off the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    if i had a choice between that, a 7mm-08, or a 7mm Rem Mag... I think I would choose it.
    Hey Jester,that is good news, from you ( since you shoot lots more than I do** ) __ cause that is what I traded ___ BLR 7mm-08 for the A-Bolt .280 ___ we swapped ammo too !!! ___ he was happy & I was happy

Thanks to all ,for the info !!!!!!
    Last edited by Big Monk; 10-01-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Monk View Post
    he was happy & I was happy
    that's what makes it a sweet deal. A-Bolt, A-Bolt II, or A-Bolt III
    Yippee Ki Yay

Ive owned a Browning A-Bolt II 280 Rem for the better part of 20 plus years and have killed scads of deer with my 280 and have hand loaded the whole time for it.. Not saying "factory" ammo is weak, but the 280 will not live up to it's potential unless you hand-load for it due to fact that Remington started this caliber out in a auto-loader and a pump, thereby handicapping it with slightly lower operating pressures but the 280 is capable of the same operating pressure as the 270..

The 280 will generate a little more velocity with a given bullet weight than a 270, but it's really a moot point tho. When shot, Ive never seen a deer tell the difference between 2850 fps and 2925 fps. Both die straightway..

It's a easy caliber to hand load for, if so inclined. I believe the 150 gr class bullets are the cats meow with the 280 but your mileage may vary. Powder in the burn range of 4350 to the slow burners like 4831's, RL 19, RL 22, RL 23, 7828 etc with 140-154 gr bullets will normally get you really good accuracy and medium recoil. Pic below represents accuracy that can be achieved with a little work. Good luck with your new rifle..

thumbnail.jpg
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

I have shot a Winchester model 70 featherweight in .280 for 30 years or so. My load is Sierra's 140 gr Gameking bullet pushed by a healthy dose of IMR 4831. I've killed a boxcar load of deer/hogs and other critters with it. In fact one took a dirt nap from it this evening. I've always shot hand loads in mine.

Well it's for sure I will not have hand loads* -- cause I never have reloaded anything** I will go with something in a factory load ( probably Hornady Superformance SST 139gr. ) since that's what I have to start with, from the swap** Maybe try some 140gr. or 150 gr. later on,if I decide to scope it & keep it ??

Jester it's a 1993 A-Bolt I Stainless Stalker -- ( rifle looks like new*) __ according to Browning site,1993 was the last year the A-Bolt I was made -- then 1994 was first year for the Abolt II **

IMG_3017 (2).jpgIMG_3019 (2).jpg

you just may light a fire for me...one of my buddies has one i bet I could talk him out of...think it is a Stainless Ruger.
    Yippee Ki Yay

I had a Bushnell Sportsview 3x9x32 scope, I had gotten in trade somewhere ??? so I mounted it on the Browning A-Bolt .280, took it to the range and after a few rounds with the Hornady Superformance 139gr. SST ammo ___ she would hide the shots, under a quarter !!!!

I had covered up the target holes,at the range,but tried to uncover them, to show you guys, how well my ""Lead Sled"" can shoot -- explained better from the backside of target*

IMG_3023 (2).jpg IMG_3022 (2).jpgIMG_3021 (2).jpg