Advertise on SCONSwamp Boogers

Thread: Worth Driving down to SC to pig hunt on the gamelands?

Default Worth Driving down to SC to pig hunt on the gamelands?

Hey all, I live in NC and hunt just public gameland. But the wild pigs are tough to find on the GL here as they move off it when they get pressured. I've heard I'd be better off buying a SC license and hunting them down on the Waccamaw area or Pee Dee WMA's...

It'd be a 2-3 hr drive for me, and I guess I could hunt them throughout small game season.

Do you guys know if I'm going to find pigs in that area or is this a waste of time and money? I don't mind the drive, I just want to be sure my odds are better if I'm down there...

Appreciate any input.

Cheers and happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by berryman26 View Post
    Hey all, I live in NC and hunt just public gameland. But the wild pigs are tough to find on the GL here as they move off it when they get pressured. I've heard I'd be better off buying a SC license and hunting them down on the Waccamaw area or Pee Dee WMA's...

It'd be a 2-3 hr drive for me, and I guess I could hunt them throughout small game season.

Do you guys know if I'm going to find pigs in that area or is this a waste of time and money? I don't mind the drive, I just want to be sure my odds are better if I'm down there...

Appreciate any input.

Cheers and happy hunting.
    That area May be flooded out right now.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Went to the Pee Dee Saturday. Gate was closed, website said it would be open. Skeeters were the worst I've ever seen....including Francis Marion in August. Takes a hole heckuva lot to keep me from hunting. I'll wait for a good frost. They laughed at a thermacell. Not even the locals would hunt it.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly stalker View Post
    Went to the Pee Dee Saturday. Gate was closed, website said it would be open. Skeeters were the worst I've ever seen....including Francis Marion in August. Takes a hole heckuva lot to keep me from hunting. I'll wait for a good frost. They laughed at a thermacell. Not even the locals would hunt it.
    Oh yeah I'm with you on that. Ready for a cold front for sure...

New to the forum and joined to meet people who like hunting hogs. I'm really interested in joining a club or 2 in the fairfax, bamberg, ehrhardt area. I live in NC but plan to make trips to SC starting in mid January to take out Ms Piggy and her kinfolk. Replies would be most appreciated

I'd say I'd go in with you but that's a bit far for me. Where in NC are you? You'd think we could find something closer to the state line...

Default SC Ms. Piggy

Quote Originally Posted by berryman26 View Post
    I'd say I'd go in with you but that's a bit far for me. Where in NC are you? You'd think we could find something closer to the state line...
    Replied the other day--you still here?

I saw something about a "robyn's" hunt club that is close to Darlington. Not sure about population (hog) and opportunity to shoot.
    Still interested in meeting forum members and fellow enthusiasts.

Send me a note
    Pete

Never received a message from you.
    I can inbox you.

Anyone else know if I'd have luck hunting this area?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petecooper View Post
    Replied the other day--you still here?

I saw something about a "robyn's" hunt club that is close to Darlington. Not sure about population (hog) and opportunity to shoot.
    Still interested in meeting forum members and fellow enthusiasts.

Send me a note
    Pete
    Roblyn's is an outfitting business that calls itself a hunting club. But I'd bet they have plenty of hogs.

Across the river from them they are thick or was before the flood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SCbowhunter1000; 10-11-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Google SCDNR Feral Hog Map. Take a look at it then find yourself a place to hog hunt. There are also hog populations just East of Charlotte N. C. There is no use driving all the way to Fairfax just to hunt hogs, unless you just want to.

What kinda "hog hunt " are looking for ? There's plenty of places that will let you shoot them off a corn pile for a fee. There's several WMA's that have them, but their not ever easy, you have to really work for them. Depends on what your looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Headdigger View Post
    Google SCDNR Feral Hog Map. Take a look at it then find yourself a place to hog hunt. There are also hog populations just East of Charlotte N. C. There is no use driving all the way to Fairfax just to hunt hogs, unless you just want to.
    I know we have hogs in NC, it's just a matter of finding someone who will let you hunt them. Private land owners rightfully so won't let anyone hunt their land. I've sent letters out asking for permission in return to work their land even, no replies. Been trying to find a place to hunt them this whole year. It's not easy if you don't have the right contacts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly stalker View Post
    What kinda "hog hunt " are looking for ? There's plenty of places that will let you shoot them off a corn pile for a fee. There's several WMA's that have them, but their not ever easy, you have to really work for them. Depends on what your looking for.
    Any kind of hunting. Stand hunting, spot and stalk, whatever. If you know someone who will let me hunt their land I'd gladly do work or set up some agreement.
    I figured WMA's would be tough hunting, but the hog numbers on the WMA's in SC appear to be more plentiful than up in NC- hence this whole forum post...

IMO, pay the extra money for deer tags, a NR big game license, WMA permit and hunt them incidentally to deer season in SC. You'll increase your odds a great deal hunting them when acorns are dropping. I don't like to name WMA's or roads on the web but you study that DNR hog population map and you can figure it out. Study where you can primitive camp, etc, nearby. You'll kill a hog if you hunt the wind, do your scouting in advance, and have multiple plan B's in case other hunters beat you to a spot. Shoot, if you're hunting the edges pigs like, you're just as likely to see a nice shooter buck or a freezer doe. Hogs and deer Both love tight cane brakes, drains, and cutovers. And all those environs have oaks.