Advertise on SCONWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Fox squirrels?

Default Fox squirrels?

Trying to fill up the trophy room. Looking for a place to hunt fox squirrels. Prefer spot and stalk as I donít have dogs but happy to join a hunter with dogs. Looking to pay a trespass fee if neccisary or even a guide fee if using your dogs. I live out by Myrtle Beach and local WMA dosnt allow fox squirrels hunting and where I hunt a small private piece dosnt have any.

Thanks
    Dale

The Sandhills of SC are great habitat for fox squirrels.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Not just your local WMA but all WMA Statewide forbid hunting Fox Squirrels.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

The more you know... which means I have to find private access I guess. Makes it even harder. If only the golf courses wanted me to clean some out

I never understood that. It is not like they are endangered. I was at Dufuski island two years ago and they were everywhere. Never saw a grey squirrel. Va and TN foothills have plenty too. In N.C. and sc they seem to be thick in the Sandhills.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

They're pretty common on all the WMAs I hunt, even when you could hunt them.

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    They're pretty common on all the WMAs I hunt, even when you could hunt them.
    I think squirrels are our most under utilized resource today. I used to hunt them on a regular basis when I was younger and a lot when my boys were starting out, not so much any more. They are ideal to get kids started hunting, much better than deer. More action and more shooting than deer. A lot of fun with less stress. Small game hunting used to be the basis for the majority of hunters but now is declining near nonexistance. May have to break out the old .22 or the .410 I started out with after deer season. We have plenty of squirrels but no fox squirrels.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I never hunted Fox Squirrels to eat. Just hunted them as a trophy. Looked for color phase ones mostly, salt & pepper - all silver - all black - black with white feet, tip of tail, nose and ears. I'd spot them while Deer hunting, then find a friend or a kid and take them to try to shoot it. Only solid black one I ever saw was at Botany Bay WMA crossing the road, at the Fox Squirrel Crossing sign...

Can't wait for our WMAs to open Squirrel season this year, since Lil'Red will be using a 20 ga or a 12 ga to hunt them instead of her 410. Gonna be fun.

One of my employees has squirrels dogs and hunts mostly fox squirrels in VA. He says they eat better than grey squirrels. I have never eaten one. He is supposed to save me a couple to try. We had a lease south of Lancaster a few years back that was loaded with fox squirrels during deer season. Mostly black with white faces and feet. Went after them once after deer season but didn’t see any. That’s the way deer woods squirrel usually go for me. Now days you could kill a limit on the corn piles.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    A lot of fun with less stress. Small game hunting used to be the basis for the majority of hunters but now is declining near nonexistance.
    I really believe this too. I know I started with birds (Robins taste just like Doves in rice), then squirrels and an occasional rabbit, the running rabbits with dogs to running deer with dogs. It was a good life and stress free. I might hate to be a hunter coming up today with all the instant gratification and trophies for everything. I have never actually hunted skunk...but seen my share. Even a skunk hunt is rich with all the other things that go on...they will never see it.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Squirrel hunting was a right of passage when I was a nubbin'. Many fond memories were cultivated growing up hunting tree rats. It was excellent training in the skills of stalking, (motion and noise discipline) not to mention marksmanship, shot selection, patience and most important hunter safety. It is still my favorite type of hunting.The older I get the more I am returning to my "roots". Squirrel hunting I Find, allows me to relax more so than deer hunting and enjoy my surroundings
    byreminding me of a simpler place and time when I didn't need to take things so seriously. Besides, sitting under a giant oak listening to acorns drop with my CZ 17 Mach2 is much more compatable with my 73 year-old bones than humping a 20lb deer stand. Wasn't it Clint Eastwood who said.? ..."A man's gotta' know his limitations. ""

when i google the sandhills it pulls up a housing development. Happy to look on ONX maps and try to contact land owners if i can figure out where i need to look.

Golf course i pass every day on way to the house has a black fox squirrel i see regularly... Some day theyll let me hunt

The sand hills are an area from around Pinehurst, NC down toward Bethune, SC about 50-60 mile wide between the piedmont and the coastal plains. OR that is how I would best describe it. I have seen Fox squirrels all across this area.
    Henry Ford

Not a problem this time of year I guess but that terrain is optimum for big Diamondback rattlers too. I saw the largest one I have ever heard of in the SC Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge back in the mid 90's. You wouldn't believe how big he was. That place is covered up with Fox squirrels of all color phases too. But no squirrel season there.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

the lack of squierrl season is a weird thing to me as you can step on a golf course without seeing 3 of them on each hole. They even run up to towards carts hoping for food. Seem to be great breeders

They have adapted to the new environment of todays world. Their original habitat was the mature yellow pine ecosystem, long gone. They seem to do well at the edges of mature pine plantation and hardwoods. They are fairly abundant now but not in the not to distant past. They would be easy to exploit, so that is why they are not on the menu on public land. For sure they are unique and beautiful animals with each local population having it own unique color patterns.
    Henry Ford

0126140810.jpg

killed in blackstock in 2013 only one I have ever seen anywhere
    buddy has it mounted

Pretty Trophy. That is what the squirrels on our property south of Lancaster looked like. Some had white feet two. I hunt in Blackstock for the last 17 years and have never seen any over our way. We have what appears to be some very small population variations in a couple of areas of the property. All you ever see in those areas are noticeably smaller than the average squirrels.
    Henry Ford

If you ever cross the Peace Bridge (goes from Buffalo to Canada), once you’re in Canada, there’s a road called Niagra River Blvd. This road follows the Niagra River to Niagra Falls. There are several parks along the way. I have never seen any kind of squirrel along this road except for Black squirrels. And they’re everywhere. Pretty amazing to see.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.