Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySwamp Boogers

Thread: Crawdad Color

Default Crawdad Color

Ok, it's late fall, heading into winter, what color would crawfish be this time of year? I'm referring to upper state lakes like Murray, Wateree, Wylie, etc. If I throw a softbait or hard lure which color should I lean towards? I've seen red, blueish, grays, but I don't know how the season affects their color. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
    Ok, it's late fall, heading into winter, what color would crawfish be this time of year? I'm referring to upper state lakes like Murray, Wateree, Wylie, etc. If I throw a softbait or hard lure which color should I lean towards? I've seen red, blueish, grays, but I don't know how the season affects their color. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    I donít think it matters. I see fish in different lake have preference for color. Lake Norman seems to like blue and bright colored crankbaits. Wylie likes flashy colors silver and aqua. Wateree always seemed to like darker colors of green and purple. Trends in lures are not nessisarily preference. I have seen lures go from the traditional shad colors to the small fry type colors then back to the shad colors, then back to bright colors. I think your confidence is what matters most. As far as jigs go I like brown with a black trailer. The tv guys swear by blue and black but I never did good with that. Slow bite go natural colors but for reaction bites go bright. Just my thoughts. I was talking about this earlier in the weeks with a couple anglers and I mentioned spinnerbaits. Many have opinions about what a fish thinks of them cause they donít look like anything in the water. I used to have a sppinnerbait box with just about any combination you could think of. Now I used my confidence spinner bait 99% of the time. Custom made gold deep cupped Colorado blade, thin wire, white and chartreuse skirts, and white head. Catch just as many fish and less tying on new baits.

I use a lot of old baits no longer made. I am probably the only one who has any of them. Fish ainít seen them in years but still catch fish just no longer catch fishermen.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Dark red