Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyCamera Land, Inc

Thread: Moon Phase's and Feeding Times

Default Moon Phase's and Feeding Times

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/vphase.html
    http://www.in-fisherman.com/solunar-...?pid=154#image

This is the best Feeding Chart that I have ever used and have killed quite a few nice bucks (Late in the AM) using this Chart. Try it if you are a chart hunter like me.

Those are also the one's I use !!
    A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in
    And how many want out
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you
    Jesus Christ
    The American G.I
    One died for your soul
    The other for your freedom !

I never used the charts. I don't see how they can tell when a deer is hungry
    and needs to get up and start walking to go and feed. But heck I might try it now! I never had much luck hunting in the morning on a full moon. Am i in the same boat with anyone else?
    GAMECOCK FANATIC

Default Gamecock fanatic

Deer feed according to the moon phase. On a full moon, the deer will feed sometime around midday. Try the solunar charts out one time. A good one is at http://www.in-fisherman.com. Just click on solunar chart link. It's good for fish and game best feeding times. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by congo12 View Post
    and needs to get up and start walking to go and feed. But heck I might try it now! I never had much luck hunting in the morning on a full moon. Am i in the same boat with anyone else?
    I gave up hunting early mornings, on the full moon. Now I get up a tree around 9:30, and hunt till around 2:30. and I see more deer too.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

It has seemed to me for years the closer that moon gets to full the more the deer move in broad daylight.It really seems like they move more in general.Commercial fishermen have always targeted the full moon because theres a marked increase in fish activity as it gets closer to the top of the moon and a steady decline as it falls off on the backside and i think that applies to animals as well.
    I hunt more during late morning to mid afternoon any time of the moon phase far more then i do late and early though and have seen more deer these times then just about any other.I can honestly say i have killed more mature bucks between ten am and three pm than any other time regardless of the moon but it does seem i see more as the moon is growing.

SilentStalker13 Guest

when the cows are feeding, so are the deer. what ive always heard! and it seems to be true from what i have experienced.

SilentS, my father used to say the same about chickens and bobwhites and i swear it was almost always on the money...look out and the chickens were hold up we would'nt go...they'd be out scratching around and off we went.The times we did go with the chickens all laid up we found a whole lot less covies of birds as we would when they would be up pecking around.

I use it with my fishing when I can. It does work!

DNR puts out a good calender.
    CaptRickHiott.com
    Charleston,SC

How do you get to the feeding chart

I want to use the chart but i can't seem to get on them

Just double left click your mouse on the http link......and welcome to the forum!

Ive used them from time to time but never used them with any regularity.....I sometimes go in the woods late during the full moon as well.....Welcome to the forum...
    "Heaven, and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life"

Rev. 21:27

I use Dan Barnett's charted printed in SC Game&Fish Magazine.Also have a Casio Hunters watch thats pretty consistant with deer sightings.

Used to use them years ago but never had any luck. Then I have read 2 studies by major universities that say its hogwash that the moon effects deer behavior. So, I hunt from sunrise until I cant take it anymore. (usually 11-12) Killed my 2 biggest bucks at sunrise on the full moon. Had I hunted later I may have missed them. So, as I say, to each their own. Everyone has their own way and its not the wrong way for them!

Im from Charlotte.....But live in the woods

This is true deer feed on the moon phaze. I was told this only comes in effect when there is less light in the day. (late Nov - Dec times). I have killed deer in the middle of the day on a full moon but that was in late Nov. Two weeks ago was a full moon i saw a lot of deer out at 6 pm also.

These charts work during the off season. The pressure that South Carolina puts on deer makes a feeding cycle nearly obsolete IMO. After a few shots mature deer go nocturnal until the rut kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by congo12 View Post
    Same here. Never see many deer at all on the mornings when you get up and see a full moon up in the sky.

I have a Droid phone and have an app called Time2Hunt. It gives you the solunar tables, the best days to hunt, the moon phases, sunrise/sunset, weather, and even does limited GPS mapping. Pretty cool app, I think it was free too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    These charts work during the off season. The pressure that South Carolina puts on deer makes a feeding cycle nearly obsolete IMO. After a few shots mature deer go nocturnal until the rut kicks in.

^^this^^
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold