Camera Land, IncCamera Land, Inc

Thread: trapping coyotes

Default trapping coyotes

does anyone trap coyotes around here. I watched some youtube videos on it and would like know if anyone does in this area. If so where do you get the traps and what do you use for bait.

we have a serious problem with coyotes on a couple of our properties and really want to make a dent in them this year. I dont think I will do any good calling,that is why trapping sounds up my alley,any info would be great

Bill Hoffman in Spartanburg buys hides and also sells trapping supplies. Give him a call and sorry I don't have his number.

is he a business or does he run out of his house,trying to figure out how to track him down

Quote Originally Posted by tr hunter View Post
    does anyone trap coyotes around here. I watched some youtube videos on it and would like know if anyone does in this area. If so where do you get the traps and what do you use for bait.

we have a serious problem with coyotes on a couple of our properties and really want to make a dent in them this year. I dont think I will do any good calling,that is why trapping sounds up my alley,any info would be great
    Yea, I've trapped em and I can give you a few tips.I order almost all of my stuff from MINNESOTA TRAPLINE SUPPLY my favorite and most effective bait is POWDER RIVER PASTE BAIT it will catch about any predator in this state but it is a very effective bait for coyotes,foxes,and coons.Get you some stretchers, a fleshing knife ,and a fleshing beam when you order your traps cause you'll need it using this bait.Get some good double spring traps that are tough and use short chains on'em cause if you use the longer chains it gives a coyote to much room to yank and jump,and that can lead to him pulling loose and destroying more of your traps.I use about 2 1/2 foot long rebar stakes.Mine are homemade from rebar with a big nut and washer welded to the top.You will need a trap hammer to beat'em in and pull'em out with.You may want to get some springs on the trap chain also that way when he jumps it gives and doesn't let him get a good solid jerk.I like most trappers catch most of my coyotes and foxes using the ever popular dirt hole set.I have three types of places that I like to set it that seem to produce the best results for me.I set them on the side of logging road or similar trails that cut through thickets or old cutovers.The predators love to sneak up and down these type places.I also set'em in any little erosions in fields and pastures.They like to use these areas to sneak and lay low when hunting the field,also good place to catch mice for'em.And last but not least a scent post in the wide open.If you dont know what I mean then I'll describe a few examples for you.A scent post is some sort of structure or marker where foxes and coyotes like to come to and leave their mark or scent on such as a big rock or rock pile in the middle of a pasture or a fence pole.one tree or bush right out in the wide open.These places can be trapped effectively without bait.Let me explain.These places are like a fire hydrant to a dog.Every dog that goes by it is going to come to it,sniff,it and then pee on it to leave their scent.At these places you need to set 2 traps.They can be anchored to the same stake or different but they need to be placed so they are on either side of the scent post so when he comes up to sniff and pee BAM! He's snapped! Sometimes if there is not a natural scent post I just make one buy placing a large rock or post in the middle of a field or pasture and spraying it with fox or coyote urine,or both.This simple set has caught me and many other trappers butt loads of fur and we dont have to use bait,only scent.You can buy the urine from MINNESOTA TRAPPLINE also or any other trapping supply co. Also if you are close to Spartanburg Mr. Hoffman can help you with most of this stuff and he can give you more tips than you can absorb into your brain.He'll also buy your furs when the seasons over.Make sure you read the trapping rules and regs so you know whats legal and get what fur tags you need and tag your traps.Good luck! and if you have any more questions just ask and I'll try to help and if I cant someone on this site will.
    Last edited by Deepwoods; 12-16-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Bill Hoffman in Spartanburg # 864-576-3752
    cell is 864-674-6476
    Last edited by SCcoyotehunter; 12-16-2010 at 09:40 AM.

I left out one thing that will also help you.Use rubber gloves and boots when setting your traps.I use dish washing gloves or latex.They are cheap and work fine.When you check the traps a little pair of binos or a scope on your trap rifle will come in handy this way you dont have to walk up to every trap to check it you can check it from a little distance and this way you dont keep laying down human scent around your traps.Also saves you some walking unless the trap is sprung and just needs resetting.Also when using the dirt hole set dig the hole at an angle and make it deep enough that he cant just grab the bait or snatch it.This way he'll have to spend a little time trying to dig it out and if he aint already stepped in the trap then he probably will while digging.I like to lay a few sticks out into a V to funnel him to the trap.I form the V so that the dirt hole is at the point of the V and the trap is in front of the hole kind of in the middle.Also get a good sifter to cover the trap and conceal it.
    Last edited by Deepwoods; 12-16-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NP Archery View Post
    Bill Hoffman in Spartanburg # 864-576-3752
    Thanks for that NP and I needed that number.

That's good stuff Deepwoods... I want to come to your seminars.... I don't trap.... but would love to get into it.... what time should we be there....?

He doesn't take coyote furs though because of the lack of belly fur.
    SCCH
    Addicted Coyote Hunter!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deepwoods View Post
    I left out one thing that will also help you.Use rubber gloves and boots when setting your traps.I use dish washing gloves or latex.They are cheap and work fine.When you check the traps a little pair of binos or a scope on your trap rifle will come in handy this way you dont have to walk up to every trap to check it you can check it from a little distance and this way you dont keep laying down human scent around your traps.Also saves you some walking unless the trap is sprung and just needs re setting.Also when using the dirt hole set dig the hole at an angle and make it deep enough that he cant just grab the bait or snatch it.This way he'll have to spend a little time trying to dig it out and if he aint already stepped in the trap then he probably will while digging.I like to lay afew sticks out into a V to funnel him to the trap.I form the V so that the dirt hole is at the point of the V and the trap is in front of the hole kind of in the middle.Also get a good sifter to cover the trap and conceal it.
    Maybe you could post a few pics of a set trap
    SCCH

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoyotehunter View Post
    He doesn't take coyote furs though because of the lack of belly fur.
    SCCH
    He's talking about Mr.Hoffman not taking the coyote furs.Also some southern beaver hides dont bring much because they are scarred up and thin on the back from breeding.They still bring some money though since they can be shaved down to make beaver felt. You may be able to make better money from both of these animals by nuisance trapping.Talk to the DNR about getting on the nuisance trappers list and they'll tell you what you need to do,mail you your info and people will have acess to your name and phone# in your area to call you when they're having problems.Also print up some cards and put em out.Sometimes you can double up and make money from people wanting the animals gone and by seling a little fur to.I will note that I have never just trapped for the money.I trapped out of enjoyment for the sport just like fishing and hunting.Making a little money is an extra perk.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoyotehunter View Post
    Maybe you could post a few pics of a set trap
    SCCH
    I'll try and do that for yall.I aint the best at posting pics but I'll try to get my buddy to help me.He has in the past.It might take a few days so just keep an eye out for me.I'll be happy to try to teach anyone that wants to learn.For a long time I thought trapping was going away in S.C. but since the coyotes and the beavers got here I think its definitley gaining popularity.I'm glad its on the rise again.

hey Mike if you need a trapper talk to stillhunter1 he is a good guy !!

Quote Originally Posted by Deepwoods View Post
    I'll try and do that for yall.I aint the best at posting pics but I'll try to get my buddy to help me.He has in the past.It might take a few days so just keep an eye out for me.I'll be happy to try to teach anyone that wants to learn.For a long time I thought trapping was going away in S.C. but since the coyotes and the beavers got here I think its definitley gaining popularity.I'm glad its on the rise again.
    Deepwoods,
    Go to photobucket.com and create an account, its free. You can upload all your favorite pictures there. After you have downloaded you picture to your album put your cursor on the pic and when the drop down box drops out select the botton one, right click and select copy, then go back to your forum and paste into your post. When you post it the picture will post.
    Good Luck, PM me if you have any questions about it. After you do it once you will be amazed at how easy it really is.
    SCCH

Deepwoods,
    you need to write a book. If you go out sometime and dont mind me looking over your shoulder,I would do better watching than looking at pictures. We have 500 acres on the enoree river in whitmire that is covered up with coyotes and a 300 acre piece at philsons crossroads that is just absolutely overrun with them,so much now that we have noticed a huge difference in the population of the deer.

I really want to take care of the problem and would enjoy trapping them,but want to make sure I am doing it right. Let me know if you go set some traps sometime, if I can come observe.

If not ill figure it out from your notes. thanks again