Camera Land, IncMeadows Edge

Thread: Deer 'Cocaine?'

Default Deer 'Cocaine?'

My Army Captain nephew just sent this email around to all the hunters in our family. Which is all the men and a few of the women too!

Copy/Paste:

I was talking to my boss from FT Bragg yesterday and we were talking about trophy rocks and mineral attractants.

He said he hunts in NC on a farm and an old farmer uses his own "homemade deer cocaine" both for QDM on his land but also as an attractant.

He doesn't put out corn or anything.

His version of his cocaine was " 50 pounds of rock salt, 20 pounds of white sugar and 10 pounds of brown suger all mixed up".

Then he digs a trough about 3 inches deep and 6 feet long and pours that in there in the spring and replenishes it in the fall.

I found this recipe online that looks good.

Something to think about because C'mere Deer is EXPENSIVE.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
    Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
    Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until ready to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

The above mix is very beneficial to the deer. We use the same mix except we use a product called ADE minerals, in place of the trace minerals. It has all the same trace minerals but also has Vitamin A, D, & E. http://www.kentfeeds.com/Product-Sel...E-Mineral.aspx The vitamins help the deer's body absorb the minerals.

Calcium & Phosphorus are needed for antler growth and milk production in a 2:1 ratio. The Di-Calcium Phosphate in the mix gives you this exact ratio. (So does the ADE Mineral)

The salt has some nutritional value, but as GTO said it is also an attractant. We also mix in some granulated or dried molasses for extra attractant power.

An updated price for this mix is around $70 for 200 lbs. Di-Calcium Phosphate - $23 for 50 lbs / ADE Minerals - $22 for 50 lbs (you need two bags) / Stock Salt - $5 for a 50 lbs (Dry molasses - $12 for 50 lbs) It is still way cheaper than you can buy any of the premixed commercial minerals and you know it has everything your deer need! We have 2 licks on our property. We put 50 lbs out in each lick in the spring and 50 lbs in each lick in the fall.

MC,

Where do you buy all of the ingredients? I might want to look into this for next year. Thanks for sharing.

Bubba

Quote Originally Posted by bp57 View Post
    MC,

Where do you buy all of the ingredients? I might want to look into this for next year. Thanks for sharing.

Bubba
    x2
    "Take your time, don't live too fast, troubles will come and they will pass" Lynyrd Skynyrd- Simple Man

that sounds like a good idea. I will try this

I would try a tractor supply or similiar store. Somewhere that sells livestock feed.

Coleman's outside of Woodruff....good people..if they don't have it, they can get or tell you where !!!
    DR. Stone...