Meadows EdgeCamera Land, Inc

Thread: how to keep dog from running deer

Default how to keep dog from running deer

i have a male walker that trees coons on his own hell bay and run hogs but he runs deer i run a shock collar on him we came upon a deer the yotes had killed when he smelled of it i shocked him good. last night im almost sure he ran one again i want to be sure he is after a deer before i shock him whats the best way to break him

Set him up, ride him around untill you see a deer cross the road, turn hound loose and as soon as he opens hit him with the e collar. Never say a word to to dog just shock him untill he comes back to you, after everything has clamed down pet him up a little and put him back in the truck and repeat if needed. Oh make sure collar is set on high you do not want him to forget the lesson.

thanks man im going to try it tonight

Yesnomaybe gave you a general method, but there are a few words of caution.

1. Put him on a coon as soon as you burn him.

2. Don't always put him on trash from the truck. Go pass where you saw the deer and hunt back to that spot or stop and hunt your way to the area. I've seen some get tailgate smart. They wont run one from the tailgate. They figure out the set-up.

3. Try to always break him in his hunting environment. In other words, make it as real to hunting as possible. Don't waste time dumping him on deer during the day since you hunt at night.

Don't know if it matters or not, but I don't give mine any attention when they get burned. I go right on hunting. I want them to think the smell did it; not me.

thanks ill do that. you are right about getting tailgate smart we got a yard dog it got to running cars we shocked it a few times then when we put the collar on it it would go behind the house and stay there take it off then it would start back but not as much

Use the collar and run him By himself. It is alot harder to stop this habbit if there are other dogs on the ground. Make sure he is running a deer and don't feel sorry for him when you shock him, turn up the juice and let her rip. It may not happen in one go but over time it will work. I have done this on more than one dog. Just remember after the correction make sure that you can get him on a coon before you rut him up. Good luck.
    Climb or fight those are the choices.

shocking a dang dog isnt the ansewer to everything dang, put a deer hide in his pen or where he sleeps thatll stop that, or tie a deer scent rag on his collar
    RONS KENNELS, St.Stephen, SC
    -NITE LIGHT
    -BLACK/GOLD
    -QUICK TRACK
    *SUMMERVILLE COON HUNTING ASSOCIATION*
    **bluetick power**

if he gets to liken them deer to much give me a holla i might take em

look on coondawg.com they got diffrent things you can do to stop that
    -NITE LIGHT
    -BLACK/GOLD
    -QUICK TRACK
    **bluetick power**

Ronskennel are you saying that hanging a rotting deer skin that is full of ticks is better. A properly used e- collar is the best way to correct undesirable behavior. Ron have you ever shocked yourself to know the effect it has on a dog. Its not like hooking your hound to a electric fence it is a static shock.

take a deer hide and lay it in the dogs kennel, yall always want to just shock the fn dogs which doesnt help it will just make another problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how would you like to get shocked all the dam time
    -NITE LIGHT
    -BLACK/GOLD
    -QUICK TRACK
    **bluetick power**

Ron you are listed under Ronskennels what type hounds do you mess with. I have used e collars for years and never have messed up a dog or his desire to hunt. I care enough for my hounds to the point of never putting a tick infested, fly attracting bug rug in my kennels. your method sounds like a quick way to get a dog sick. ticks carry lymes disease, I have never killed a deer that was not covered with ticks. For your info BEFORE I ever put a e collar on one of my hounds I used it on myself so I would know the effects. So I do not see why you are so bent out of shape or against someone useing e collars. And I do know some people could use it to the point of abuse, but that comes from stupidity. If e collards were that bad don't you think they would outlaw them.

The e collar is a training tool if used properly. When your dogs are collar broke you usally just have to use the tone. But for trash running it is the only way to go.