Camera Land, IncDeer Gro

Thread: Ivomec 1% solution

Default Ivomec 1% solution

My dogs are due for heartworm meds and I just got the ivomec 1% solution. I know some say us 1/10th cc to 10lbs but I have been reading that is to much. What is the CORRECT dosage for those who frequently use it? and are you basing the weight on a home scale?

Quote Originally Posted by jones.hunter View Post
    I know some say us 1/10th cc to 10lbs but I have been reading that is to much.
    Thats what I use and have for years, years and years and never killed one yet.

i give each dog 1cc by mouth ,they give them alot more than than that when treating mange

i think the deal is it dosent take that much for a heart worm preventative.but using for a wormer 1/10 or more should be fine.i use valbezin.its got 500ml in the bottle i add 10or12ml ivamectin to it.i administer at a rate of .75ml per 25lb.body weight.supposed to be a good all around wormer plus heart worm preventer.

Valbazen is good stuff but it takes three days to get them all. John I do the same thing I just don't mix them, it won't hurt anything just uses more Ivomec than needed.

@ a dose of .1cc or ml per 10 lbs of dog weight... 1 % Ivermectin is 10 times stronger than over the counter heartworm preventative. It appears in CA the over the counter products are not working as thought from what I have been reading. Ivermectin will make a dog convulse if you overdose it. If you are not using it as a wormer I really don't think you need to give it that much. I try to never overdose..if a dog weighs 47# I dose it for 40# I know several who use Valbazen mix for worming along with Ivermec with great success. as soon as I throw my almost expired Ivermec out I will start mixing or single dosing as Mule described

My dogs are due for heartworm meds and I just got the ivomec 1% solution. I know some say us 1/10th cc to 10lbs but I have been reading that is to much. What is the CORRECT dosage for those who frequently use it? and are you basing the weight on a home scale?
    I have used this rate for years too and have had good results.

had a young dog with red mange,my vet told me to give him 1 cc every day for fifty days, it fixed him .so i would say its pretty safe at onetenth cc per ten pounds

I use 1/10 (cc/ml) for 25lbs of weight. I also get mine from my vet, which is a "little" stronger than the stuff you can buy at tractor supply or farm centers. The old brown box with the pic of the hog on it, has been taken down in strength according to what my vet told me as people were misusing it at full strength as it was 10 years ago. I worm with the quart bottle of Panacur, a little more pricey than Valbazen, runs about $125-145 a bottle depending on where you get it, & how many dogs you are treating. I like it a little better than the Valbazen, (which I have used), simply for the fact I have found that the Valbazen may not get all your tapes. JMOP and personal experiences. I also like it due to you don't have to hold feed. I have had great success with this combination of wormer & ivomec. Also be careful giving ivomec oraly as it sometimes can damage teeth. scfox

Default Ivomec

If you guys are mixing it, then what is just the ivomec good for?

ivomec is for heart worms, valbazen is for stomach worms

Quote Originally Posted by *MULE* View Post
    ivomec is for heart worms, valbazen is for stomach worms
    yep...to get the few Ivermec won't...Ivermec won't kill tapes and a couple more I think

Ivomec basically only takes care of heartworms and mites. You must also use something else for the rest of the worms so I prefer Valbazen. I also give a full ml. to every grown dog once a month of the Ivomec and a full ml. of Valbazen per 25 lbs. every 45 days.
    Remember we are only borrowing the land and resources from our children !

Quote Originally Posted by Cur'n Plott Man View Post
    Ivomec basically only takes care of heartworms and mites. You must also use something else for the rest of the worms so I prefer Valbazen. I also give a full ml. to every grown dog once a month of the Ivomec and a full ml. of Valbazen per 25 lbs. every 45 days.
    Ivermectin kills whips and couple others I do believe

i rotate wormers but i use zemectrin gold, its good for tapeworms and ivomectin for heartworm prevention. come in a small tube, quick and easy, dogs act like they just eat a pile of crap with all the hockin and gagin but they get over it its a horsewormer but works good for me, ive been using it for a while.

Default mouth

I've also heard that giving ivomec by mouth can cause them to lose their mouth! I give it by shot and have good results on not getting heartworms! I been told it gets all worms other than tapeworms! I know it doesn't get tapeworms myself!

Given orally Ivomec gets 100% of hook and round worms and doesn't do anything for whip and tape. If you inject it the percentages on hook and round worms go down due to it having to be dissolved, where orally it goes straight to where they are at. Personally I've never had an issue with one loosing its voice, but I guess anything could happen. Ivomec is really just for heart worm preventative not stomach worms anyway, that's just an added advantage.

Ginhouse is right, stomach worm meds should be switched up regularly due to the worms building an immunity to the meds.

(Safeguard)Febantel and Praziquantel both get 100% of all four stomach worms. Both are ingrents in horse wormers.

Bunamide(Panacur)Gets 100% of Hook, Round,Whip but only 50% of Tape
    thats why its usually chased by Droncit cause it gets the Tape.

Valbazen gets 100% of all Stomach worms

When using ivomec we have always used for generations 1cc/100# grown dog (which is the same as 1/10 per 10#) usually always straight in the mouth with only injecting it in dogs that learned to vomit it back up. My grandfathers did this, my father does this, and i do it and as of my knowledge never had a dog get sick, die, or lose their "mouth"
    Only takes a gun to kill something
    but takes guts to catch it by hand!!

Per my veterinarian. this is for a 1% ivermectrin solution

1 cc has 10,000 micrograms, dose for dogs as a heartworm preventative 6 micrograms/kg once a month orally

weight in pounds divided by 2.2= weight in kilograms

As such a 44lb dog = 20kg (6 ug / 1kg) * 20 kg = 120 ug...so he would need 120 micrograms of ivomec

(120 ug / 10,000 ug)* 1cc = 0.012 cc

****ADJUST MATH TO THE WEIGHT OF YOUR DOG****

you would be better off diluting the ivomectrin 1:100 (1cc ivermec + 99 cc water, etc) in something like water or coke or juice and squirting 1 cc down the dogs neck because there is no way to accurately measure 0.01 cc in a syringe.

Or you could dilute it 1:10 (1cc ivermec + 9 cc water,etc) and squirt 0.1 cc down his throat.

As I said I use 0.3cc straight so I'm giving about 25X the reccomended dose but it has worked for me for years. This is more of a dose that would be given for mange, but it's always worked for me. if you have any questions let me know. If you are giving 1/10 cc per 10lbs you may be way overdosing your hounds. Unless it's for mange, I would never give more than 0.3 cc to any hound, but if it's worked for you and you've never had any problems I'm not advocating change. The calculations above are for a correct dosage per body weight and are just a suggestion.

Oh yeah...if you dilute it make enough to use for all your dogs and then toss it and do the same next month. Do not use your diluted ivermectrin more than once as it may not be stable in the matrix other than what it is stored in inside the actual ivermectrin bottle.

Mule...

Safeguard and Panacure are the exact same thing.

Safe-Guard® Paste
    10% Fenbendazole
    http://www.jeffersequine.com/product...d=EQU&pn=11504

Panacur Paste
    10% Fenbendazole
    http://www.jeffersequine.com/product...d=EQU&pn=I6-PL

Neither has praziquantel (Drontal or Droncit will have praziquantel) which is the ingredient that you want if you have tapes. Most hounds get tapeworms because of fleas. The Fenbendazole in safeguard and panacure don't get that type of tapeworm. Both Safe Guard and Pancure must be given 3 days in a row or your are wasting your time. They are also proven to get rid of giardia if given 5 days in a row. I like to worm puppies with the safeguard for goats as it is not a paste but a suspension. The dosage for that is 1cc per 4lbs. For the paste to accurately give it you need to weigh it out, but usually 8 - 9 cc for a grown dog will do the trick. I worm my puppies with a 50 mg/mL pyrantel pamoate solution at 1cc per 10 lbs (2 days in a row) until 6 weeks then I worm with safeguard.

I do agree that both Panacur and Safeguard make a product that has Fenbendazole in it. I also agree that they don't get tapeworms that why I said you have to chase it(or give in addition) with Droncit.

Here's a good place to get pyraquantal http://interpet.biz/Pyraquantal.html

.........and a good list for what gets what. http://meds.bappy.com/dewormer.html. This is outta the Dog Owners Home Veterinary Handbook. Carlson DVM and Giffin MD Which if you don't have this book it should be in all dog mens libraries