Meadows EdgeCamera Land, Inc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumbling up on indian arrowheads while hunting

Default Stumbling up on indian arrowheads while hunting

I was just wondering has anybody found any Arrowheads lately or in the past while out Hunting, Fishing or scouting? The reason im asking is that we find them alot. Not just on our Hunting Lease but i have found them hear in Easley while walking my dog or just where you would least expect to see one. I found 2 pretty good ones last week. If you have found any please post a picture of them and county if you would.
    ONE IS ALONE IN A LAND SO VAST. THERE IS ONLY THE MOUNTAINS, THE WIND, AND THE EYES OF GOD.

My son has a knack for finding them on dads place in Chester Co like this one

Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net
    http://www.milsurpshooter.net
    A hobbyist non-profit gun collector's discussion forum site

Quote Originally Posted by parallax View Post
    My son has a knack for finding them on dads place in Chester Co like this one

I find them all the time. They're almost always the white ones like parallax posted. I posted some pics in a thread a year or so back and I've found some really good ones this year. I'll post pics later today.

I've only found 1 of the white ones, most of the ones I pick up are tan.

The one at upper left is a scraper. I give most of them away, but kept the one on the upper right because I killed a nice 8 point where I found it...
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Here are some of mine. 30-06 shell for reference. I find most of them while plowing food plots, so most get broken or chipped. I did find one these at my kids' soccer game near the parking lot just sticking up through the grass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1296483202450.jpg  
    Last edited by mule; 01-31-2011 at 08:27 AM.

I found one this year on my new club about a mile south of the Cape Fear River. I must have had luck on my side that day because the ground up here is so rocky, that to spot an arrowhead in between all the rocks is not easy to do. It was a white quartz, fairly good size but the point was broken on it as well.

I have a couple of boxes of them from where I found them in SC along the Pee Dee River. One box is mostly whole arrowheads and the other is broken ones. I need to pull them down and take some photos of them for reference. May even make a display to hang in my shop.

I love looking at them just realizing the history behind them! Amazing to me!

Bubba

Those are some fine looking Points. Years ago when i hunted on GMA around Joanna and Jalapa you would find alot on the logging roads. The land that we lease now is from a soybean farmer. After he plows the fields and it rains a couple of times on it those points will be sitting exsposed like on a little dirt pedestal. They are easy to find then. We also find them walking the shores of Lake Hartwell, Russell and Keowee.
    ONE IS ALONE IN A LAND SO VAST. THERE IS ONLY THE MOUNTAINS, THE WIND, AND THE EYES OF GOD.

We had a land owner next to our club once that let some guys from Hartsville go into their fields to hunt arrowheads and they would take sticks to dig them with and 5 gallon buckets! A number of times they would have to go back to the truck to unload their buckets. That field was full of them and like you said, they pop up out of the ground after it rains like a bean sprout! LOL

Bubba

Here is some more pictures of some i have found in the last couple of years. Most of them we find are Quartz but every so often we will find one made of Flint.

Now that is a nice collection of arrowheads DT! Me likes......! LOL

Bubba

my buddy's dad finds them all the time in orangeburg. he has literally thousands of them. he sent a chest full to USC to be identified and they bagged and tagged each one and put the time period they came from. he also makes knives and other decorative things by flint napping(i think this is what its called). he said if you put him any where there is a lot of rocky soil he can find them.

Hey Bp57, I will trade you them arrowheads for them BIG Bucks you got in your album! LOL... Just kidding, Those are some Nice Bucks you got. What did the BIG 10pt. score?

I got a bag full of them I found in darlington county if I can find bag LOL

Ya know,,,,If I remember right,,back when the lakes dried up,,,they were writing tickets for removing Indian artifacts from there original location.

Does this apply?,,,,,I guess not...................
    CaptRickHiott.com
    Charleston,SC

It's illegal to remove artifacts from WMA...

You should do some research on your arrow heads " projectile points is the proper term " some of them could be valuable to a collector...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    Ya know,,,,If I remember right,,back when the lakes dried up,,,they were writing tickets for removing Indian artifacts from there original location.

Does this apply?,,,,,I guess not...................
    if you actually have to "dig" for it then you aren't supposed to retrieve it, if it's sticking out of the ground where you can see part of it then it's all yours... is how they want that law to read

personally I don't think some archaeologist has any more right to something in the ground than anyone else, but they think so...

I was just asking guys,,,I dont know............................
    CaptRickHiott.com
    Charleston,SC

MAN YOU HAVE A LOT OF GOOD POINTS THERE. looking for them will get into your blood. it can be as bad as deer hunting. Only you can do it all season long..

My wife has a collection of them and one spear head.
    When we are walking she will say S T O P ..
    You just went past a arrow head...
    She has a eye for them and has also found what is called painted rocks.
    Todays Youth - Tomorrows Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by sandhill View Post
    if you actually have to "dig" for it then you aren't supposed to retrieve it, if it's sticking out of the ground where you can see part of it then it's all yours... is how they want that law to read

personally I don't think some archaeologist has any more right to something in the ground than anyone else, but they think so...
    Here is a copy of the law from 2010-2011 rules & regs book...Just remember self incrimination is not enough they have to have evidence..ha ha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coyote.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	4817

Quote Originally Posted by sackett View Post
    Here is a copy of the law from 2010-2011 rules & regs book...Just remember self incrimination is not enough they have to have evidence..ha ha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coyote.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	4817

Todays Youth - Tomorrows Hunters

A while back i looked on a website about finding arrowheads in South Carolina and there was this guy who scuba dives in places like the Cooper River and a few more of those Black Water full of BIG GATERS rivers. He finds some points that are probably worth a pretty penny, real rare. He also finds those BIG MEGLADON, PREHESTORIC Shark teeth. They are like 5 or 6 times bigger than a great white. He has a guide service to take people diving to find them.

The islands in the middle of the lake must be state property????
    CaptRickHiott.com
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    The islands in the middle of the lake must be state property????
    Lake Moultrie ? They are Santee Cooper Property...

Aw comon Adeerman, show them some stuff.

He's being modest guys, He has found tons of arrowheads, spear points, banner stones, axe heads, a couple stone pipes (one of a nighthawk and the other like a bullfrog) and all kinds of stuff over the years.

Ok adeerman, Spurhunter has told on you. Go ahead and dig them out and start snaping some pictures of that awesome collection you got.

sorry fellows old spurhunter is only part right this time..i really have not been taking trips just to look for all the above ?? in some time.. and i can't really show you all the finds .?? because .i don't have them with me any longer.. its not a good idea to have all those old finds just setting around ones house.. way to much money to be made for a few low life person's.. and old spurhunter also knows where they or all at right now .And I know that fellow don't want the wrong person knowing that hes holding all those artifacts.. But i can say.. yea while it may be harder to find them now days.. We did -and still do have lots of very old Indian artifacts out there..there was a time when i would look up paper company's Ph-numbers?.ones that had their land leased out to hunt clubs ((for hunting)) I would ask to come on to the land after hunting season was over.To ether look for Indian artifacts or just to metal detect for old home or camp sites dating back before the revolutionary war.. Back then you would not believe the company's that gave me written permission.Most of the time fellows the Indian artifacts that we found where just like you have been showing on here. and we was very happy campers ////but over the years we have hit a few finds that blew us away then and now.but even today i can't walk across a field or a hill side with out watching ever step i take..any time you find your self on a low hill right in between 2 creeks .if i was you and i had the rights to put in a food plot .thats one spot that would get planted each and ever year. or if in the low country.and on a low ridge running along the edge of a wet area. I would be plowing in a food plot their ever year also?/because most of the time those area's where big use area's when it came to setting up camps or small villages.and if they where staying at a place any time at all.you can bet they where making lots of artifacts.--and a lot of them or still there waiting for the next rain to uncover. heres wishing you the best in finding them
    Last edited by ADEERMAN; 02-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.

I heard that somebody found some type of indian canoe below keowee dam around hughs bend area back when hartwell was down low. I was told it was petrified and part of it was actually sticking out of the bank of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by ADEERMAN View Post
    sorry fellows old spurhunter is only part right this time..i really have not been taking trips just to look for all the above ?? in some time.. and i can't really show you all the finds .?? because .i don't have them with me any longer.. its not a good idea to have all those old finds just setting around ones house.. way to much money to be made for a few low life person's.. and old spurhunter also knows where they or all at right now .And I know that fellow don't want the wrong person knowing that hes holding all those artifacts.. But i can say.. yea while it may be harder to find them now days.. We did -and still do have lots of very old Indian artifacts out there..there was a time when i would look up paper company's Ph-numbers?.ones that had their land leased out to hunt clubs ((for hunting)) I would ask to come on to the land after hunting season was over.To ether look for Indian artifacts or just to metal detect for old home or camp sites dating back before the revolutionary war.. Back then you would not believe the company's that gave me written permission.Most of the time fellows the Indian artifacts that we found where just like you have been showing on here. and we was very happy campers ////but over the years we have hit a few finds that blew us away then and now.but even today i can't walk across a field or a hill side with out watching ever step i take..any time you find your self on a low hill right in between 2 creeks .if i was you and i had the rights to put in a food plot .thats one spot that would get planted each and ever year. or if in the low country.and on a low ridge running along the edge of a wet area. I would be plowing in a food plot their ever year also?/because most of the time those area's where big use area's when it came to setting up camps or small villages.and if they where staying at a place any time at all.you can bet they where making lots of artifacts.--and a lot of them or still there waiting for the next rain to uncover. heres wishing you the best in finding them
    You know it is a crying shame that a man has to hide such finds as you have found, out of fear of some dead-beat stealing them!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast