Camera Land, IncAdvantage Driving Services LLC

Thread: New Bowstring Cost ?

Default New Bowstring Cost ?

What should I expect to pay for a new custom string/cable and having it installed ? I have a single cam bow. Also how does the process go-does the bow shop take the old ones off and measure them, or is there a chart they use ?

They have strings in the shop...Are you sitting down,,,the last time I got a new one it cost a little over $100.00 ,,, But that was with all the fixin's... and of coarse after you shoot a hundred or so times,,,getting the string re-twisted from the stretch... some people say a good modern day bowstring want stretch...they do!!

Check out www.prostring.com. Wes will fix you up. I am not on staff or anything, but I gave his strings a try a few years ago. I have used Wicked, Winners Choice, America's Best, you name it, its probably been on one of my bows and that original set of Prostrings(getting changed this year for obvious reasons) is still on that bow. They are top notch and will run you about $80.

Just send NP Archery a PM here on the forum. He builds fine bowstrings and for a reasonble price. You cannot beat his quality and service. All I'll use. 11 deer and a turkey on my last one.

sackett,
    I think they "settle" more than stretch. I agree, most times you'll have to readjust after a 100 shots or so. I recently got my two bows restrung and have finished tuning them. Not sure but I think the time on the bow has more to do with the "settling" of the string than the shots fired as I've always heard. Just recently restrung both my bows. Shot one over 200 times and the other twice as much, 400+. Still saw the "settling" of the string at about the same two week mark with both. Just a matter of a half twist in one leg of the yoke and they dialed right back in. Dunno about most guys but I shoot mine about 50 shots a session three to four times a week.

Another vote for NP Archery. After all the great things everyone said about him and his work I tried him out. I drove quite a ways to take my bow to him, glad I did. No one else will ever make another string for any of my bows than him. Im not sure if the price is still the same, but for $85 he made my string and cables (any colors I wanted), set my bow back up, and and we shot it dozens of time to make sure "we" were happy with it. He really takes pride in his work. I was happy with my bow, but he seen something he didn't like and put it back in the press and made a few more adjustments untill he was happy with his work. Give him a shot. You will be happy you did. As far as the process I called him on a Monday and told him I live about a hour and half away, so to save me 2 trips I told him what kind of bow I have and he made the string during the week. Went to his house Saturday morning and about a hour later he had me set up and on my way.

Default NP Archery

Where is NP Archery located ? How do I send him a message? I dont know how to find him here.

Nevermind, I found him .

Quote Originally Posted by Spurhunter View Post
    sackett,
    I think they "settle" more than stretch. I agree, most times you'll have to readjust after a 100 shots or so. I recently got my two bows restrung and have finished tuning them. Not sure but I think the time on the bow has more to do with the "settling" of the string than the shots fired as I've always heard. Just recently restrung both my bows. Shot one over 200 times and the other twice as much, 400+. Still saw the "settling" of the string at about the same two week mark with both. Just a matter of a half twist in one leg of the yoke and they dialed right back in. Dunno about most guys but I shoot mine about 50 shots a session three to four times a week.
    That could be it, I had to give up my bow hunting a couple of years ago due to an injury that finally made me give it up...Prior to that I was with you, I shot a lot!! I heard Ted Nuggent say one time that he shot his bow a 100 times per day, and then when I was a kid I heard it said that Fred Bear shot every day and then just a few days prior to a big hunt he would walk up to multiple targets from different angles at unknown yardages and then would shot 1 arrow>>>-------> and then check out his shot placement, walk away and and shoot no more for a few hours,,,during this time he would "contemplate" on his 1 shot, knowing that it was as in a real hunt either a kill, a wound, or a miss!!

another vote for NP Archery. He is the only one I will let touch my bow. I am due a new string here real soon myself!! I will be taking it to him in a couple weeks!!!
    I Corinthians 10:31

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, Do all to the glory of GOD."

check out Hunters Headquarters in Greenwood, Greg will set you up with a great bow string for a even better price

I plan on using NP when I get a new one. Never heard a bad thing about him or his work.
    Along the same lines... How do you guys determine when to replace a string? Number of shots, age, etc?

Another vote for NP(Lloyd).

Been in many archery shops(probalby everyone north of Columbia) over the last 25+ years of shooting bows and no one takes the time or patience that Lloyd does.First and foremost, he wont try to sell you anything that you are not looking to buy on your own.Second,If your not happy he is not going to let you leave until you are 100% satisfied.

Geeter,if your brace height and or axle to axle is out of specs is the first signs.

I'd say two seasons is enough for me to change a string just to be safe. That way it can't show up mid-season! Now is the time to get a bow ready for next fall, you'll have all summer to get her dialed in with a new string.

Antihunter goes through bows like my kids go through shoes, surprised he ever restrings a bow.
    HAHAHA!

My last strings i got off of 60x strings.com and 10 shots and they were ready . He has string prices around 50.00 and you can get astro flight string or 452x string what ever you choose get the halo serving that is a great serving for single cam bows . The guy is on archerytalk or you can go to his web site . I have had his string on my bowmadness for a year and a half with zero peep rotation . And 50.00 to boot .
    PSE EVO all black for 3-d hunting
    Spot hogg boss hogg
    QAD ld rest
    carbon force pro 200 arrows
    B-stinger stabilizer

PSE Dominator 3-D for 3-D,spots , and dots
    spot hogg hogfather single pin
    carbon force pro 100 arrows
    bodoodle rest
    b-stinger stabilizer

PSE staff shooter and 3-G archery staff shooter .

MBMadness, $50 sounds great, Did you have to pay someone to put them on for you? I quit visiting Archery Talk because I registered about 2 weeks ago but am still not allowed to post, and cant get in touch with anyone there to find out why.

I vote for NP Archery also, I do not want to order a string over the internet then take it to someone with a bow press to install the string. NP dialed installed my last string, dailed in the specs, and paper tuned for a reasonable price.

I'd say two seasons is enough for me to change a string just to be safe. That way it can't show up mid-season! Now is the time to get a bow ready for next fall, you'll have all summer to get her dialed in with a new string.

Antihunter goes through bows like my kids go through shoes, surprised he ever restrings a bow.
    HAHAHA!
    X2 on the two seasons

Can't go wrong with 60x string. $60 for strings and cables. I just put new ones on a month ago and I have had not peep rotation problems at all. When I put my strings, d-loop, peep, and drop away chord back on, I shot three shots through paper, all bullet holes.
    www.60xcustomstrings.com

Go find any other string maker willing to post on a open forum how he builds his strings and the secrets used(and then have other string makers ask him for more details and pictures)and I will say they are above most others such as Lloyd(NP Archery).

Here is a link with pics of his detail to work in building strings/cables that Lloyd put up to show how he builds his.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1356672
    Last edited by Antihunter; 02-02-2011 at 07:14 PM.

HAHAHA!

You need to just buy a few extra bows so you don't worry about that.

Touche'
    Need some help convincing my Wife of that fact!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Can't go wrong with 60x string. $60 for strings and cables. I just put new ones on a month ago and I have had not peep rotation problems at all. When I put my strings, d-loop, peep, and drop away chord back on, I shot three shots through paper, all bullet holes.
    www.60xcustomstrings.com
    Yeah his strings always seem to be in spec . Witch is good because i can put a string on but the twisting and all that i dont fully understand yet , but i am getting there .
    Spot hogg boss hogg
    QAD ld rest
    B-stinger stabilizer

bodoodle rest
    b-stinger stabilizer

Quote Originally Posted by Antihunter View Post
    Go find any other string maker willing to post on a open forum how he builds his strings and the secrets used(and then have other string makers ask him for more details and pictures)and I will say they are above most others such as Lloyd(NP Archery).

Here is a link with pics of his detail to work in building strings/cables that Lloyd put up to show how he builds his.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1356672
    Wow! That was very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbmadness View Post
    Yeah his strings always seem to be in spec . Witch is good because i can put a string on but the twisting and all that i dont fully understand yet , but i am getting there .
    That's where a good bowman earns his $. The best don't just sell their products, they'll teach you while doing it.

That's where a good bowman earns his $. The best don't just sell their products, they'll teach you while doing it.
    I hear that , thats why I like 60x . I kinda felt bad the first time he offered to walk me thru installing my string . But honestly thats what makes archery so fun .
    Spot hogg boss hogg
    QAD ld rest
    B-stinger stabilizer

bodoodle rest
    b-stinger stabilizer