Meadows EdgeUTS Web Solutions

Thread: 223 vs 22-250 vs 243 Best predator rifle?

Default 223 vs 22-250 vs 243 Best predator rifle?

I have two questions here. I want to get my 15 year old son interested in shooting with me. I have several rifles already but they are too front heavy for him to hold steady. I need suggestions on a good bolt rifle suitable for his size (he's tall and very slender framed). 2nd question: which caliber would be best?

So what is the advantage of one over the other in real terms of accuracy and terminal performance as far as the varmints, beavers, or small deer will notice? I have one each H&R in 223 and 243, both with heavy barrels (Ultra models) and both very accurate. I also have a Remington 700 in 7mm-08. I want a bolt rifle and was considering a 22-250. Any advantages for me here? I saw a TC (didn't notice the model) with the cammo stock yesterday in 223 that looked really cool and seemed light weight enough for my son to be able to easily handle.

Thanks

Bob

Since you said he may be hunting some deer with it then I'd put him on the 243 simply because you can shoot 100gr rounds for deer with more energy and because they're alot of 243 rounds built specifically for deer.You can always shift back down to a lighter varmit round(they're also alot of these in 243)such as the V-max by Hornady.A 243 with a 100gr jacketed softpoint is one of the best combos around and it'll take him out way on out there.I've killed alot of deer with the 243.It's a very good deer cartridge and also a fine varmit or predator round to.Just make your bullet selection based on what you plan on shooting.All three of the calibers that you named will do the job if the shot placement is dead on target but in the hands of a teenager with buck fever I'd take the 243.Any hit will kill a ground squirrel but not any hit will kill a deer.Just something to think about if he's going to be after deer.As far as trajectory all three of those calibers are durn close and if I was just going after varmits with it then I would choose the 223 hands down because its super cheap to shoot,reload,and easy to find ammo and components for.They're all good in the right hands after the proper game but the 243 has the slight edge in my book for the all around deer,predator,and varmit cartridge.Hope I helped you!

I love my 223 w/40 grn Vmax. No exit holes, light and dead on.

My son has been hunting with a 25-06 since he was 13....he is 15 now...a bit taller but skinny as a rail....my younger one who is 10 hunts with a 243 youth model....they handle both firearms well and no issues with recoil.....
    Take your kids hunting and fishing...no experience like it!!!!!

Follow us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/BoneHeadHuntClub

http://www.facebook.com/RunningwithDanny

Like our page and join in the fight to Find the Cure for Cystic Fibrosis.

Thanks for the info. Just picked up a really nice Remington 700 Classic in 243 today. Got a super deal and had to go for it. Only problem is that it is a left handed gun and my son is right handed. I'm gonna let him shoot it to see how he feels with it and then probably trade it for a right handed model if my son likes it. He handles the 20 gage with no problems so I think I just need to get him out shooting. Thanks again for the advice.

Happy hunting,

Bob

I think a .243 with a 55 grain bullet has some kind of ballistics, but I would take the .22-250 over the others on a daily basis...But this is coming from a guy who shoots a .204

cant beat either the 223 or 243 in my opinion !!

.223 in an AR platform.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net
    http://www.milsurpshooter.net
    A hobbyist non-profit gun collector's discussion forum site

.223 will be the cheapest to shoot. .243 would be my choice of those listed since its not a one trick pony and really excels at longer ranges. That said. I shoot a 25-06 for varmints. An 87 TNT at 3400fps will vaporize a crow and anchor a yote on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DrifterBob View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just picked up a really nice Remington 700 Classic in 243 today. Got a super deal and had to go for it. Only problem is that it is a left handed gun and my son is right handed. I'm gonna let him shoot it to see how he feels with it and then probably trade it for a right handed model if my son likes it. He handles the 20 gage with no problems so I think I just need to get him out shooting. Thanks again for the advice.

Happy hunting,

Bob

Might be interested in the left hand gun

Maybe get him a 22 and let him burn some ammo? Not many better ways to have fun and get a kid hooked on shooting. Ammo is cheap and no recoil induced bad habits if he shoots alot at one time. Also, ask him what HE would like and don't buy what YOU want and expect him to love it. Involvement in picking out a gun may well help whet his appetite.

Thanks, but I sold the 243 to another "Lefty" friend. He is very happy with it. It was a nice BDL but had way too light a trigger for a first time rifle for my son. thanks for asking and sorry for the late reply, been off line for a while.

Bob

One of the nice things about the TC Encore is the ability to change barrels. Yes it is a single shot weapon but that just puts more emphasis on shot placement. I am currently shooting a Tikka T3 Lite in 243 and really like it. I chose the 243 because of the range of bullet weights. This rifle likes everything from 100 gr CoreLoks to the VMaxs.