Meadows EdgeCamera Land, Inc

Thread: When Do You Guys Plant Sunflowers & Millet?

Default When Do You Guys Plant Sunflowers & Millet?

I have a buddy coming tomorrow and we are going to bush hog and till about a 5 acres. I wanted to plant some sunflowers and brown top millet this year. I've never planted these before. When do you guys plant?

Might help to mention, There are no deer signs in the area right now. I figured the sunflowers might stand a chance of growing now since there is plenty for the wildlife to eat. If planted in a couple of weeks, the sunflowers should be at maturity by the 15th of August. Usually the deer activity in this area starts to pick up around then.

The sooner you plant both of them the better off you are. The reason being is we normally get some drought conditions in June, July, and August so having them get start now will help. Good luck on keep the deer out. Once they get a taste of those sunflower they'll hit them hard. The millet they won't even touch because it doesn't make a head until about time to mature. Good luck.

I would agree, the sooner the better. With sunflowers being a favorite of deer, if your sunflowers get eaten in short order, it would still give you a chance to replace with more millet or a sorghum. I assume you are planting for doves.

Good luck

Depends on what you are trying to do. If you are planting for deer the sooner the better. If you are planting for dove you want the seed to mature a week or two before the season opens. Remember millet matures in about 65-70days and sunflowers in about 100 days so back your dates up with that in mind.

I was hoping to target both. The deer are my first priority. I've never dove hunted, and thought it might be interesting if deer season is a flop. We didn't get to do anything last Sat. My buddy over booked himself. Now we are on for this Sat. morning. Guess, I'll go ahead & get my seeds.

Good luck with it.

Get your sunflowers in now. Start planting your millet in a few weeks. If you plant it to early and it matures early and just lays there it will rot and be a waste and once it lays over the weeds will begin to take it over unless you spray. With no protection on a few acres of sunflowers the deer will do a number on them once they find them if not wipe them out.

Thank you for the advice here in this thread! I stumbled across this topic by coincidence and realized that this is something I really wanted to know! I bought some sun flower seeds from a serenata uk florist and now I want to know when is the best time and date to start with planting. Now I have the answer