Advertise on SCONCamera Land

Thread: Coyote trapper wanted

Default Coyote trapper wanted

Looking for a coyote trapper willing to find and sell me an alive coyote puppy.

Not sure but that may be illegal.

It's perfectly legal as long as the animal was gotten from SC.

You could be right. I thought the sale of any wild animal was illegal whether dead or alive. Unless I'm interpreting Rules & reg. page 52, "importation & Possession" wrong. It states "the possession and sale of live foxes and coyotes is restricted by law (50-11-2630). Not trying to piss on your parade but rather not wanting to see you get in trouble.
    Last edited by vermontlad; 12-04-2014 at 05:40 PM.

No. You just can't buy or sell outside of SC. As long as they're obtained here its fine. I dont think you need a permit either unless youre plainning on breeding them.

Well, guess I was wrong. Sounds like you did your homework.

I read that too and thought the same. With further looking I found its legal to own a fur bearer (fox or coyote) as long as they're endogenous to SC and were obtained in SC

I wish you luck my friend.

What you going to do with it? make a pet or study it's language for calling ? I thought I would like a bobcat kitten but they won't stay little.

Possible crossbreeding ? Just curious because of your name ?

I sell all of my coyote and fox to pens alive. Where are you located? I'm sure that the pen I sell to has a lic. to buy live animals.

I'm not sure where you did your reading and research, but it wasn't the DNR regulations. Just the same as hogs, if you got caught transporting it live or get caught with it live and non-permitted you are going to eat a big fat fine.

Unless you have a permit, each of your statements above are false. It only took about 5 minutes on google and dnr website to figure that out.

"The possession or transport of live coyotes is allowed only by permit from the SCDNR."

"However, trapped coyotes may not be relocated"

If you read the back of the trappers report, the entire back page if for the transfer of live coyotes and fox.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/furharvest.html

There is your answer. So pretty much if someone is caught selling you one they are bound to lose their own license and/or permit, regardless of whether it was or wasn't "gotten from SC".

If you want one bad enough, trap it yourself and then do what you want with it. That way you only put your own $$$ in a sling and you're not asking other folks to compromise themselves.