Camera Land, IncWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: marinating venison

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Simpsonville,SC
    Posts
    1,072

    Default marinating venison

    I`ve been buying marinades like GAMEMASTER CARIBBEAN JERK and STUBBS. Now I find plain white MILK (as in moo) is great for removing that gamey taste. Anybody use milk to marinate your venison?...like it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Charleston,SC
    Posts
    3,837

    Default

    My grandmother used buttermilk for as long as I can remember....(overnight)
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Taylors SC
    Posts
    3,344

    Default

    I marinate my venison cubed steaks in milk and spices before breading and frying , it almost melts in your mouth ,lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Crocketville SC
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I heard a long time ago club soda was good to marinate venison to tame it a bit. Never tried it. I just dredge in seasoned flour and fry, drain off oil then two cans of cream of mushroom, some milk and a package of Lipton's onion soup mix. Throw the meat back in and low simmer for about an hour. Good with rice, noodles, mashed potatoes or a car bumper.LOL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    lyman south carolina
    Posts
    586

    Default

    I tried the milk once didn't like it. Guess my deer haven't been gamey tasting or i just don't taste it. My kids don't complain either.
    There is many paths to get to the same place.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertSC View Post
    I`ve been buying marinades like GAMEMASTER CARIBBEAN JERK and STUBBS. Now I find plain white MILK (as in moo) is great for removing that gamey taste. Anybody use milk to marinate your venison?...like it?
    Gamey taste? Process Better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    lyman south carolina
    Posts
    586

    Default marinating venison

    Quote Originally Posted by 12Gauge View Post
    Gamey taste? Process Better.
    I guess that's why I don't taste it. Lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottg; 03-11-2015 at 01:15 AM.
    There is many paths to get to the same place.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bessemer City NC
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Taste never bothered me but me but my brother in law soaks his in sun-drop... For those of you who know what that is
    You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Age it ....it will change your life. I pit mine in a 120 qt cooler for a minimum on 10 days and I just keep adding ice.

    My deer steaks taste like Ribeys. Fact
    “Conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Taylors SC
    Posts
    3,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Age it ....it will change your life. I pit mine in a 120 qt cooler for a minimum on 10 days and I just keep adding ice.

    My deer steaks taste like Ribeys. Fact
    this , you are right , I age mine sometimes up to 12-14 days in a cooler full of ice and the meat is so much better . We have also dry aged some steaks on a plate in the fridge , we haven't perfected it yet but the flavor was insane , never thought deer could taste like that . I've never had a gamey taste since I started processing my own , that's where doing it yourself and doing your deer , not jo bobs that sat in the bed of the truck in the sun for 6 hours with a gut shot .

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushmstr02 View Post
    this , you are right , I age mine sometimes up to 12-14 days in a cooler full of ice and the meat is so much better . We have also dry aged some steaks on a plate in the fridge , we haven't perfected it yet but the flavor was insane , never thought deer could taste like that . I've never had a gamey taste since I started processing my own , that's where doing it yourself and doing your deer , not jo bobs that sat in the bed of the truck in the sun for 6 hours with a gut shot .
    Yep. You don't have much room as far as temperature fluctuation and you have to keep it near 32 degrees but it is awesome.
    “Conservation will ultimately boil down to rewarding the private landowner who conserves the public interest.”

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    lyman south carolina
    Posts
    586

    Default marinating venison

    I let mine age for two weeks also but not in a cooler with ice. I let it hang in a walk in meat cooler. Well it isn't just a meat cooler my wife puts here vegetable and other stuff in there also. She doesn't like deer season to much when I get a few in there tho it isn't that big.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottg; 03-11-2015 at 05:54 AM.
    There is many paths to get to the same place.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chesterfield/Marlboro
    Posts
    3,936

    Default

    I never understood why people tried to make deer taste like beef. If you want beef, buy beef.



    When you age deer in a cooler like that, make sure you keep the plug pulled so the boody water can drain off. The blood spoils a lot faster.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boiling Spring,SC
    Posts
    266

    Default

    What is this gamey taste you speak of? I truly believe that is all in your head.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    I never understood why people tried to make deer taste like beef. If you want beef, buy beef.
    Same way I feel when people go out to dinner and buy expensive frog legs, or rattlesnake, or some exotic meat. Then they say "It tastes like chicken." Well, you idiot, then why didn't you just get chicken for $10 instead of what you did for $50.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

  16. #16

    Default marinating venison

    This works great and adds a hint of flavor. It's not overpowering.


    Coat in olive oil, sea salt, and pepper (to your taste).

    Add olive oil to a large frying pan with some non salted butter.

    Sear outside. Quickly. Not too long.

    (You can also reverse sear. Sear after baking in oven)

    Put in preheated oven on 400F.

    Cook until internal temp is 120-140. Flipping once. Rare-medium rare.

    While cooking in oven, add more butter to sear pan, add sliced portobello mushrooms and 1/4 to 1/2 chopped yellow onion, 1/2 TSP rosemary, 1/2 TSP of thyme, 1/2-1TSP of onion powder. Cook until tender, add 1 cup of red wine, Let simmer and add sifted flour to thicken as it simmers. (or coat loin in flour before searing)

    Once internal temp is at 120-140F (personal preference) Remove meat, put in plastic container, pour red wine sauce on it, cover with lid, and put in a cooler for 30 minutes.

    Slice against the grain in 1" medallions, drizzle red wine sauce over meat and serve.

    You can use the same recipe for a crock pot stew. You just slice the loin and brown in pan with all ingredients. Put potatoes and carrots in crock pot cover with water, add meat with sauce, bay leaf, and cook for 3-5 hours.

    You can substitute dales or worcesterchire in lieu of the wine. Just don't use too much.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    This works great and adds a hint of flavor. It's not overpowering.


    Coat in olive oil, sea salt, and pepper (to your taste).

    Add olive oil to a large frying pan with some non salted butter.

    Sear outside. Quickly. Not too long.

    (You can also reverse sear. Sear after baking in oven)

    Put in preheated oven on 400F.

    Cook until internal temp is 120-140. Flipping once. Rare-medium rare.

    While cooking in oven, add more butter to sear pan, add sliced portobello mushrooms and 1/4 to 1/2 chopped yellow onion, 1/2 TSP rosemary, 1/2 TSP of thyme, 1/2-1TSP of onion powder. Cook until tender, add 1 cup of red wine, Let simmer and add sifted flour to thicken as it simmers. (or coat loin in flour before searing)

    Once internal temp is at 120-140F (personal preference) Remove meat, put in plastic container, pour red wine sauce on it, cover with lid, and put in a cooler for 30 minutes.

    Slice against the grain in 1" medallions, drizzle red wine sauce over meat and serve.

    You can use the same recipe for a crock pot stew. You just slice the loin and brown in pan with all ingredients. Put potatoes and carrots in crock pot cover with water, add meat with sauce, bay leaf, and cook for 3-5 hours.

    You can substitute dales or worcesterchire in lieu of the wine. Just don't use too much.
    Done this but I put the Red wine in the pan when it went in the oven, Umm good
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Simpsonville,SC
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    yeah that My vension is aged for 2 weeks. I Don`t have any wild gamey taste to it, but I maninate it anyway..yummmmmmmm thanks for all the responses. I gotta try britton40`s recipe process...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seneca,SC
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    What is this gamey taste you speak of? I truly believe that is all in your head.
    you really think that? Hang a deer for a week or so and cut one right up then try both. You'll taste the "gamey" flavor real quick.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Piedmont of SC
    Posts
    7,228

    Default

    This thread isn't helping deer limits.
    Last edited by SCbowhunter1000; 03-11-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

    "We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Golden Strip
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    I never understood why people tried to make deer taste like beef. If you want beef, buy beef.



    When you age deer in a cooler like that, make sure you keep the plug pulled so the boody water can drain off. The blood spoils a lot faster.
    Me either...I don't even put beef fat in my ground for the same reasons. Stays together just fine, and nice and lean.

  22. #22

    Default

    I wouldn't say deer taste gamey. It taste like deer. For those who were raised on it it is what it is. Me and my family have been eating it so long if it don't taste a like deer we think its something wrong with it. As a matter of fact what does deer taste like. It taste like meat. For Gods sake quit overcooking it and leave all the fancy soaking and brining to the pitmasters. No super duper marinade is gonna magically make the meat good its in the cleaning, processing and cooking is where its at.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Spartanburg County
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Process Kill it remove the hide 1st and let it cool down quickly. One mistake I see are deer being hung from neck, blood settles in the best meat. Hang it to bled out, you maybe tasting a lot of blood. I like the flavor of Venison and it should have its own taste. Ever hear the storie catch a carp season it throw it away and eat the board, carp strong tasting no matter what you do it taste like Carp LOL

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hampton, SC
    Posts
    5,695

    Default

    I have to agree with those who asked what "gamey taste". I also hang mine in a walk-in after skinning and gutting, but only for one week before cutting the meat up and processing it. The only secret to great tasting venison is to remove all of the silver skin! Now when it comes to cooking and serving the meat, it all depends on how I'm preparing it and what the end result is intended to be. Then using seasonings or marinating may be important based on the dish being cooked. Also, most people cook their venison to death, when it should be rare to medium rare and never well done.

    JoePSC, I'd never even heard of hanging a deer with the head up, until I started reading and seeing how many Yankees hung 'em on their "meat pole". The old buys I grew up hunting with would have had a heart attack at the mere mention of hanging a deer by any method other than hind legs up.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    My grandmother used buttermilk for as long as I can remember....(overnight)
    I use buttermilk for fried steak, enzymes in milk help tenderize meat.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bessemer City NC
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Sundrop
    You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,396

    Default

    Wild game is what it is but there are a lot of wild game chefs out there with some good recipes. Try something different and develope your cullinary skill to get the most and maybe best from your wild game. There is more than salt and pepper and flour
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

  28. #28

    Default

    A quick kill keeps the lactic acid from building up in the deer's muscles. Followed by quick skinning and gutting. I hang mine for 10-14 days in a walk in cooler.
    My brother ran a meat department for 10 years so he has the knowledge to cut it up...
    A cuber, a grinder, cutting board, and a vacuum packer= Best Venison I've ever had!
    My wife would always try venison before when I just took them to a processor. She and myself to an extent didn't really enjoy the natural flavor.
    Now she tells me to make sure we have enough deer to last the year!
    It makes a huge difference!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •