Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyAdvertise on SCON

Thread: Been Watching For This One

Default Been Watching For This One

This coyote has been showing up on my camera frequently. I started baiting him in my back yard for a couple of weeks and he finally started to come in early enough for me to hunt. I sat in my stand and watched for deer until dark then started scanning for him every five minutes with a light. Around 6:30 I see a set of very bright eyes coming down the power line. When he got close he turned off into the woods and I could confirm he was a coyote. After about five minutes he came out at the bait, (a hand full of dog food). When I raised my rifle he herd me and started to trot off. I gave him a mouse squeak and he stopped and gave me a broad side. Shot him with my new Savage 22 Magnum. He went 30' and piled up.first coyote.jpg HUNT0126.jpg

That thing is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by vermontlad View Post
    That thing is huge.
    I agree and sounds like the plan worked out pretty good for you!!!!! Congrats

He only weighed 35lbs! I thought he was over 40.

congrats on the yote
    Be careful even monkeys fall out of trees. www.whitetailsunlimitedtaxidermy.com www.swampboogers.com

SPONSOR

How far was the shot? What bullet did u use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess the shot was 40 yards. I used a CCI 35 grain hollow points. I have had trouble with these or my rifle. I had
    2 out of 20 that did not fire. Then one mourning I had three in a row that did not fire. One round has 3 strikes on the rim and still did not fire!
    So now I do not know whether to blame the rifle or the ammo. No reply from Savage after two weeks! I have the A22 ammo ordered.

Also, shot behind front shoulder and had pass through.

Late follow up. After my rifle failed to fire on the biggest hog we had ever seen I contacted Savage several times. Finally after posting
    my problems with the rifle and Savage no customer service on their forum I got immediate results. I sent the rifle in and got itback in about
    2 weeks. Has been flawless ever since. Have killed several pigs with it and it will group dime size at 50 yds. They never said what they
    did but it was obvious that it was not striking the rim hard enough.

Only problem now is I never owned a semi before and I keep forgetting I can shoot more than once.

Nice kill.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford