Camera Land, IncWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Catfish Stew...

Default Catfish Stew...

Simple recipe for Catfish Stew

2 - Cups diced bacon
    3 - Cups diced onions
    6 - Cups diced potatoes
    6 - Cups water
    5 lbs - Catfish ( I remove all red meat from fish )
    2 - 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes
    Salt & Pepper & hot sauce to taste

Cook Bacon first, cooked but not crisp.

Add Onions, cooking for 5 minutes.

Add Water & Potatoes, cooking for 10 minutes.

Add Fish next, cover and cook until fish is done enough to fall apart. Break up the chunks of fish by mashing them.

Add Tomatoes & hot sauce, more salt & pepper if needed.

Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Be sure to stir enough to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pot.

Made a 48 quart batch this past Friday for my Wife's co-workers, for lunch. ( Needed an excuse to try out my new cooker I got for Christmas ) There was only 4 quarts left in the pot by the time they were done eating...

Cooker has a 10 inch burner, and cooks great when using large pots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Thanks stlhunr. I love me some catfish stew. Now I will make my own.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

No butt meat?

A little Bacon is all, don't want to much pork in a fish stew.

Thanks stlhunr, was going to post in this section a couple of weeks ago asking for a good stew recipe, been years, now if we could just get some cold weather.

That's basically the same recipe I use, although I do add some garlic and Cajun seasoning with a bit of Old Bay Seafood Seasoning; however, my recipe which was my grand daddy's also calls for one small bottle of ketchup for every 5 gallons of stew. BTW, butts meat is nothing but the ends and pieces which are cut off of the belly to make the bacon rectangular shaped.

Also, for those who think a white catfish stew is good, it doesn't come close if it doesn't have tomatoes and is red!!!!!!!!!! That stuff made with milk doesn't cut it!
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    Also, for those who think a white catfish stew is good, it doesn't come close if it doesn't have tomatoes and is red!!!!!!!!!! That stuff made with milk doesn't cut it!
    That white stuff ain't stew. I would call it chowder. But then some clam chowder is red too.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

" butts meat is nothing but the ends and pieces which are cut off of the belly to make the bacon rectangular shaped. "

Ok...did not know that.

I keep a bottle of Ketchup, hot sauce and a few other things on the table when serving if people want to doctor up their own bowl. I just prefer the Tomatoes to get it red.

Do you like it served over a bed of white rice, with crackers broken up into it, or just a bowl of stew? I've eaten it many different ways, but I like to take Ritz crackers and crumble them up in my stew.

BTW, the ketchup goes into my recipe after the tomatoes, not as a replacement.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Never tried it over rice. I crumble crackers up in it as well. Most everyone else just eats it as is...

This stuff is great!! Thanks for the recipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks yummy...