Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyAdvertise on SCON

Thread: Dove Field

Default Dove Field

Had a lot of migratory birds come in today. 5 of us shooting couldn't keep them stirred up. They'd come in in groups and light in the middle of the field. All we bagged were big birds.........Before we went onto the field there were 8 long beards out in it feeding.......After Tuesday it'll be all theirs!

Three of us shot my field one last time today. I killed 9 and missed some EASY shots. Again all big migratory birds. Next week I start prepping the field for next year. Hunting and preparing for hunting is a year round endevor.

Total tally for my field this year was 195 birds picked up(harvested).

Started prepping my field for next year today. Field full of migratory doves! Wish season was still in!

Field still full of migratory birds.......Wish season ran through January!

They're doing a good job of cleaning up under my bird feeders. I get a little twitchy seein em posted up around the yard but I hope that will pass soon. It's gonna be a long 7 months....

Quote Originally Posted by 9c1cap84 View Post
    They're doing a good job of cleaning up under my bird feeders. I get a little twitchy seein em posted up around the yard but I hope that will pass soon. It's gonna be a long 7 months....
    Yep. A long time to wait. I take out on my skeet field.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    Started prepping my field for next year today. Field full of migratory doves! Wish season was still in!
    What do you do to prep field. Turn it over? And about what time are you sewing corn?

Quote Originally Posted by sluggin View Post
    What do you do to prep field. Turn it over? And about what time are you sewing corn?
    I have bottom plowed and harrowed the areas I'm going to plant. Next will be lime. I plant the corn with a 2 row "Cole" planter 2 weeks before Good Friday...Corn will tolerate some cold with no damage. I plant Roundup resistant corn and spray it with Roundup until its to high for my tractor to go down the rows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    I have bottom plowed and harrowed the areas I'm going to plant. Next will be lime. I plant the corn with a 2 row "Cole" planter 2 weeks before Good Friday...Corn will tolerate some cold with no damage. I plant Roundup resistant corn and spray it with Roundup until its to high for my tractor to go down the rows.
    I sure do appreciate it

Pretty good shoot kaboomer. How many shoots did you get in? Would love to have a field like that. Used to have a place close to the house I could go down in the evening after work with the retriever and work her. Kill 5 or 6 for her and back to the house. She liked it.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Pretty good shoot kaboomer. How many shoots did you get in? Would love to have a field like that. Used to have a place close to the house I could go down in the evening after work with the retriever and work her. Kill 5 or 6 for her and back to the house. She liked it.
    We shot every Saturday during the seasons. Sometimes everybody didn't show up and we had them lighting in the field. Good in the beginning. Kind of a lull in the middle. Good the last segment. Burning the field really made difference the last season. Birds are still coming to the burned areas that I haven't cut under. Hope they have put the location in their little "gps's" for the fall!

they have been turning and liming here for a couple of weeks...better get on it
    Yippee Ki Yay