Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyUTS Web Solutions

Thread: Home Made Snake Shot

Default Home Made Snake Shot

Toyed with the idea of making my own snake loads for 45 colt. Also just picked up a 12" 45/70 contender barrel and thought it would be cool to load one for it. First try was 10gr of unique with 2 cardboard wads (made from using a old 45/70 case as a hole punch). Weighed out 350gr of #8 shot (about 250 pellets) then put 2 more cardboard wads over shot and roll crimped case. Made a nice little brass shotshell. Just for functionality purposes I fired it from ruger no1 from 15 yards at a turkey pan. 13 pellets hit the pan. That was extreme distance, but would have taken down a cottontail for sure. Been reading people say to go down to 8 gr of powder and maybe use a 410 shot cup. Going to do a little more experimenting. the 45 colt loads will be pretty cool for keeping a few in the belt for no shoulders.

Speer makes capsules. I'm sure you can find them elsewhere too.

https://www.loaddata.com/articles/PD...land%20LR1.pdf
    Yippee Ki Yay

I shoot carpenter bees around my shed & shop with home made shot loads in .38 special. I made a dipper that throws 1.5 grs of Bullseye. i make my wads from primer sleeves cuut out with an arch punch. I prime, pour powder in and push base wad in with a dowel. I pour #12 shot in till about the top and tamp a wad on top. I seal it with glue or finger nail polish. I shoot the bees on the wing......Much fun!....Like a miniature dove shoot!. this load will kill a snake or bird up to about 10 feet. Started out with .22 rat shot but due to the volume I was shooting(2-300 rds) it got too expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    Started out with .22 rat shot but due to the volume I was shooting(2-300 rds) it got too expensive.
    we are still using .22 for bees but a rifle

Boomer...do you have a .44 SPL?

CCI factory loads use #12 and #4 depending on what you want to use them for....might be the better shot sizes.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    we are still using .22 for bees but a rifle

Boomer...do you have a .44 SPL?

CCI factory loads use #12 and #4 depending on what you want to use them for....might be the better shot sizes.
    Yep....................
    Attached Images Attached Images

think I have about 250 NIB I don't have any use for.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    think I have about 250 NIB I don't have any use for.
    Brass?

sorry about the hijack

pretty sure it is...I will dig it up..thinking about it...more like 350ish...3-4 are Winchester
    Yippee Ki Yay