Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySwamp Boogers

Thread: New To Me Coleman Lanterns

Default New To Me Coleman Lanterns

Picked up these two today...outta mantles...trip to Wally World in my future
    IMG_2039.JPG
    Yippee Ki Yay

Good ole Coleman’s. I have a VERY old single mantle. Love it.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

the smaller one in better shape is a 288 and the bigger one I am cleaning up is a 290 I think
    Yippee Ki Yay

Neat I have a couple. Almost a lost art. They used to make a snap on bottom that would store extra mantles etc. They use to make a brass flint filled striker that mounted on the bottom of the globe. Brings back lots of memories!

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    Neat I have a couple. Almost a lost art. They used to make a snap on bottom that would store extra mantles etc. They use to make a brass flint filled striker that mounted on the bottom of the globe. Brings back lots of memories!
    They still make a striker. Iím leaving Wally World right now with fresh fuel. All they had was Insta-Clip mantles so I snagged a hand full of them. Might have them up and running tonight if I donít have issues with pumps or generators
    Yippee Ki Yay

Way back used to run Amaco white 100 octane in my Coleman stuff.

Yes I haven't seen any White Gas in years. All the marinas used to sell it. I think you can still use regular unleaded gas in the Coleman products. They call it dual fuel.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Neither have I...I used to run White Gas in my old Hot Rods back in tha day. More recently I have used Sunoco 104 in my hopped up Harley or Av gas to curb some of the detonation when it was hot out.

The 288 is up and running but the 290 won't pump. Going to try soaking it in oil first to see if I can get it to seal before I buy a kit for it. I thought this one was supposed to have a leather seal but it is rubber.

I think i can convert these to duel fuel or maybe they are duel fuel...thought those were gray though.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    Neither have I...I used to run White Gas in my old Hot Rods back in tha day. More recently I have used Sunoco 104 in my hopped up Harley or Av gas to curb some of the detonation when it was hot out.

The 288 is up and running but the 290 won't pump. Going to try soaking it in oil first to see if I can get it to seal before I buy a kit for it. I thought this one was supposed to have a leather seal but it is rubber.

I think i can convert these to duel fuel or maybe they are duel fuel...thought those were gray though.
    I think all the Colman lanterns and stoves would run on white gas or Colman fuel. I have a gray single burner stove that will run on Colman fuel or unlead gasoline. The little stove is nice on day trips for soup and balongna sandwiches.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I know the newer Duels will. The older ones probably will run on unleaded and Fuel/Kerosene too. Something in the back of my mind...Cub Scouts...Stove..and..FIRE...make me hesitant on unleaded
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    I know the newer Duels will. The older ones probably will run on unleaded and Fuel/Kerosene too. Something in the back of my mind...Cub Scouts...Stove..and..FIRE...make me hesitant on unleaded
    Gasoline stinks to bad and you can wash off the smell either. I use the Coleman fuel but in a survival situation unleaded is a good option to have.
    Henry Ford

Pandaneo.com/3-Coleman-fuel-substitutes

Interesting. I will stick with the Coleman fuel. I wondered how long it would last.
    Henry Ford

Good read...Thanks!
    shelf life of Coleman Fuel is 2 years according to that...date the can with a Sharpie and done.

looks like the 288 has a date code of 11/96 and the 290 07/89.
    the Insta-Clips mantles I picked up today I don't care for....like the old tie ons better got some of them coming
    gotta figure out why the 290 won't pressure up
    Last edited by Jester896; 09-13-2018 at 05:39 AM.
    Yippee Ki Yay