Advertise on SCONSwamp Boogers

Thread: Srs/srp

Default Srs/srp

With over 100 participants hunting today.......They killed 13 deer......Wow!......New rules won't allow dog driver to go more than 50 yards from the truck......Yet they hunt 1000+ acres at the time........Don't you just love government regulations!
    They(ones running show) told the hunters the deer numbers were down......Yeah right.......Ask any farmer who farms close or adjacent to the bomb plant. Or all the dead deer on the roadways close by.

Many years ago the first time I hunted SRS,300 hunters killed about 350 deer.This was back when it cost $25. and you hunted all day.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyb View Post
    Many years ago the first time I hunted SRS,300 hunters killed about 350 deer.This was back when it cost $25. and you hunted all day.
    I hunted in those days as a dog man. We hunted for free. In those days if we didn't kill 150 deer a day it was a bad hunt.

I knew someone who killed five on one hunt and ran out of shotgun shells and claimed he could have killed five more if he had some more buckshot; that was back in the days kaboomer mentioned.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    I knew someone who killed five on one hunt and ran out of shotgun shells and claimed he could have killed five more if he had some more buckshot; that was back in the days kaboomer mentioned.
    Yep. Always carried 50 rounds of Buckshot in the days. Didn't EVER miss getting a Deer because I didn't have any shells to fire at it.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Sad story. Came up on a stander on hunt that had a new Weatherby automatic shotgun.......And it would not fire. He had not tried it before the hunt. Told me 5-6 deer had run by. He spent the entire hunt with a useless "club".

BTW Back when I taught SC CWP classes we had some come with NIB pistols(never fired) or guns so dirty they wouldn't function....Several I 'lubed" with oil from the dipstick in my truck to get them to run.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    Yep. Always carried 50 rounds of Buckshot in the days. Didn't EVER miss getting a Deer because I didn't have any shells to fire at it.
    Being a dog driver I only carried 12-15 on me.........BUT could return to the truck and resupply.

I’ve heard a bunch of stories from the SRP. I should’ve went when my grandfather was still going. Living in the upstate, dog hunting is frowned upon. But I’d love to try it once.

Anyone who truly loves hunting should experience the thrill and adrenaline rush of hunting with dogs at least once in their lifetime. People I've introduced to it, always wanted to come back and do it again.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDieselDawg View Post
    I’ve heard a bunch of stories from the SRP. I should’ve went when my grandfather was still going. Living in the upstate, dog hunting is frowned upon. But I’d love to try it once.
    Ever seen a semi trailer stacked front to back, 6 feet deep, with Deer? Was typical kill on a hunt at SRS, back in the 80s.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Yes back in the day it was not unusual for a single hunter to kill 5 or 6 deer and/or hogs. Du Ponte was running the show back then but after 4 years of never getting a draw I gave up on the idea. Had a lot of friends that went and all were successful. Some nice deer killed too. Those days are gone like the striper hay day in the late 60's and 70's at Santee. Those of us able to experience these events are blessed indeed and probably will never see anything like it again.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I believe a dog man was shot and killed accidentally years ago. Can someone expand on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by vermontlad View Post
    I believe a dog man was shot and killed accidentally years ago. Can someone expand on this ?
    Didn't happen(killed).........Many many years ago when they had open area still hunting(like WMA) a still hunter was killed when another "shot the moving bushes").......THAT stopped the still hunting forever.

I had the chance to hunt here a few times when I was younger. Like several said above, years ago it was a great hunt and fun to be on, the latter years, not so much. Once it got to the point of having to pay $100 for a half day hunt and buck only, we quit putting in. With all that being said, I don't know how many of you remember this bruiser getting shot down there a few years back......

http://www.carolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=9345

One of the dog handlers found a skull with a set of horns that were the biggest I had ever seen.

So on this thread talk of all the deer killed back when on srs and not as many now. So you don't think the population is down?

It appears that may be true but the days hunting, hours hunted, areas open to hunting, and types of hunting have also changed over the years. Also the hunting at SRS may be controlled by a different entity than before. Last time I was at SRS to work the facility was operated by GE. Don't know who is in there now but GE is not particularly supportive of hunting.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by sc-hunter View Post
    So on this thread talk of all the deer killed back when on srs and not as many now. So you don't think the population is down?
    The number of hunters participating are much lower than in the heyday, and the hunts themselves are limited along with the areas that are open for the hunts. Also, fewer dogs and drivers contribute to fewer deer getting up and moving.

The price is higher and there seems not to be much of an incentive for a driver to bring dogs now. For years the drivers had a deal going and it was good for them, so I hear and read on here. I have never HUNTED at SRS. As far as deer population, well the plant is 300 square miles and I can not say. But as far as the 30 plus years I have been driving the shift roads I tend to think the deer population is indeed down. Not just on SRS but also north of SRS. I log approximately 100 a day on the roads and see way less deer than I did a decade ago. Since I jinxed it I will tag one this week Do see more and more yotes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    It appears that may be true but the days hunting, hours hunted, areas open to hunting, and types of hunting have also changed over the years. Also the hunting at SRS may be controlled by a different entity than before. Last time I was at SRS to work the facility was operated by GE. Don't know who is in there now but GE is not particularly supportive of hunting.
    Never aware of GE being a major contractor at SRS. Maybe a subs-sub or something But never over the site as contractor.

I have worked for Du Ponte, Westinghouse, and GE at various times as a sub-contractor.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I have worked for Du Ponte, Westinghouse, and GE at various times as a sub-contractor.
    Same here minus GE.......and add a few more....

Quote Originally Posted by sc-hunter View Post
    Same here minus GE.......and add a few more....
    You may be right. They do some strange things down there. My guys never liked going there. Lot of money to be made there at times.
    Henry Ford