Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySwamp Boogers

Thread: Did a search for low light scope, read this site the way they word there comments...

Default Did a search for low light scope, read this site the way they word there comments...

Useless...……..(And funny)

https://bestreviews.com/best-hunting-scopes
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

I suggest go to a dealer that has what you are looking for. If you are looking for the high end stuff nearly impossible except for a national event like the NRA convention or shot show. The wisdom is take it outside if possisble, generally not possible, and see how clear. If you are looking for low light quality look around inside which is generally low light. Most of the reviews are low end to medium line quality scopes. They generally advertise in the same article so buyer beware. Quality glass is expensive so you need to know your price range before you start looking to cut to the chase. Quality optics is also in the eye of the beholder so see for yourself. When they had the NRA convention in Charlotte nearly every manufacturer was on display. I looked at several brands that were unbelievable, then I asked about price. Out of my range but still nice to know what is out there.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Yep,,,,your right. Ive done a lot of research on scopes over the years and I'm not gonna spend 3,000 on Schmidt and Bender for my 45/70

I own a Meopta 1,200 scope. Its on my 6.5 Creedmore. Great scope!!!

Just bought a Vortex CrossfireII Hog hunter 30mm 3x12x56 for 300.00. Its a giant! Its to big! Not impressed with the low light picture at all.....
    Feels stupid on my Marlin 1895 GBL. Instead of my cheek on the stock,,,its my chin now.

I think my next one will be a Leupold 3x9x40 or 50 …….
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

I have a 2-7x32 scope on my 1895. I cant imagine putting one that big on it!
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    Yep,,,,your right. Ive done a lot of research on scopes over the years and I'm not gonna spend 3,000 on Schmidt and Bender for my 45/70

I own a Meopta 1,200 scope. Its on my 6.5 Creedmore. Great scope!!!

Just bought a Vortex CrossfireII Hog hunter 30mm 3x12x56 for 300.00. Its a giant! Its to big! Not impressed with the low light picture at all.....
    Feels stupid on my Marlin 1895 GBL. Instead of my cheek on the stock,,,its my chin now.

I think my next one will be a Leupold 3x9x40 or 50 …….
    I see the same problems. My last 4 scopes were 40 mm for the same reason. It is lower and more compact. The 50 may gather more light but at the expense of weight and the higher profile. The 40 is cheaper also. I had a leoupold varix 3 that I hated. It was always hazy and only fair in low light. I sent it back to the factory and they checked it out and sent it back. I looked through it and sold it for a deal. Bought a bushnell elite 3200 and it was much better. It shouldn’t have been considering the cost. I still have the bushnell on my muzzle loader without any complaints. I replaced it with a Ziess 40 mm on my 270 which crapped out. I replaced it with a Meopta 40 mm and bought another Meopta for my 7mm 08. I think the better glass in the 40 mm is fine in low light. Just my opinion but I am sure others love their 50 and 56 mm scopes too. I like the lower profile.

BTW I still have an old Redfield wide view that is as good as the days I bought it. Put it on a 243 handi rifle for my son 20 years ago and it is still on it. It is still dead on after 20 years. That old scope is bullet proof but really sucks in low light. In its day it was one of the best but that was 40 some years ago. Scopes hav come a long way.
    Last edited by Iceman; 11-20-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Just my opinion but I am sure others love their 50 and 56 mm scopes too. I like the lower profile.
    i do like my 50 and 56mm scopes...the ain't on a guide gun tho

I'm not sure i would shoot that in low light...as long as it is there is probably only 2" of barrel in front of the bell...should pick up the muzzle flash very nicely on that guide gun
    Yippee Ki Yay