Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Night coyote calling in the upstate

Default Night coyote calling in the upstate

I am new here but you can find me on several other gun boards under this user name. I’ve been hunting coyotes pretty much exclusively for over 15 years. I usually do most of my hunting at night. I use both thermal and night vision in my hunts.

Equipment I currently run:

L3 PVS-31a bino NODs
    BAE UTMx thermal
    PVS-30
    Elcan SpecterDr 1/4 with piggybacked Trijicon RMR09 for passive aiming with the NODs
    Suppressed 5.56mm rifle usually with BH 5.56mm 77gr TMK, surefire suppressor
    Foxpro Shockwave and various mouth calls

I am currently beta testing a Because Operator night vision camera and have recorded a few recent hunts that I will share here. I also have a DVR inbound to record the thermal feed and will post that as well when I get that part up and running.

The videos I will be posting are very similar to that of a gopro. You can see smaller things great up close, but past 100 yards and it becomes difficult. On most of these videos you will see the coyotes eyes in the IR illuminator just before the shot. I’ll try to keep this an ongoing thread as I hunt throughout the winter. Calling has been hot and heavy so far this fall. I am seeing a lot of coyotes out and think we must have had a good breeding year this past year.

*Note; I put glint tape on my e-caller. You will see it reflect on several videos as I turn on an IR light source. This is because I have had 3 people whom I took hunting get confused and aim at the call because that is where the noise is. Also note, when you see the video look skyward it is because I am scanning with the thermal for critters.

In the first video you’ll see the call in the trees. Just before the shot you will see the yote’s eyes at around the 0:10 mark.

Last edited by Hootiewho; 11-21-2018 at 11:47 PM.

On this stand I call in 2. One approaches from the left and the second circles to the ridge top I was on and tries to get down wind. Wind is blowing from my left to right at a 45 deg angle. I believe they were intially together as two responded to my howl from the bottoms on the left. The first one is difficult to see, the second you will see the eyes just before the shot. The second one was about 250 yards out.

My howl stops somewhere around 42 seconds in. They reply around the 0:53 mark.

My call runs until around 0:57 and the coyote replies around 1:23. I had my call about 60 yards to the left of where I shot him and he worked his way through a thicket below me. I saw him pass 3 rabbits within 20 feet in that thicket as he approached the call using the thermal. When he was hit he made it back into the thicket and piled up about 35 yards inside the briars. Shot was about 140 yards.

This one unfortunately got away. I will give him a few more days to relax and will go take him this weekend if he cooperates. He was coming hard from about 175 yards out. When he got about 75 yards from me I think he made me out as the moonlight was somewhat behind me. He turned and bolted. I tried for a running shot at around 120 yards and did not connect. It isnít as easy as you might think shooting using all this equipment.

FWIW, the video also degrades the image I see a bit. This is a better representation, but still not as good as what I see with my eye. A shot of Ft Moultrie

8AABADFB-6FE5-48FD-894A-550F7443EB57.jpg

Black one from a while back that I had been after for a few weeks.

D394889C-68C1-430C-99EC-81A2B9057D9E.jpg

Welcome to the forum -- watched the videos,but can't really see much?? -- maybe just my old eyes ?? ---- with all the movement, of the camera,I sorta got "sea-sick" -- still wishing you the best of luck with the hunts and will follow your post,as you go forward -- glad to have you clearing the woods of the yotes* what areas do you hunt ?? -- we have another member/hunter that takes quite a few hogs & yotes, from Abbeville County ( Mailman29680 ) -- he also post the videos of his hunting trips -- again,wishing you much success on your hunts, Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Monk View Post
    Welcome to the forum -- watched the videos,but can't really see much?? -- maybe just my old eyes ?? ---- with all the movement, of the camera,I sorta got "sea-sick" -- still wishing you the best of luck with the hunts and will follow your post,as you go forward -- glad to have you clearing the woods of the yotes* what areas do you hunt ?? -- we have another member/hunter that takes quite a few hogs & yotes, from Abbeville County ( Mailman29680 ) -- he also post the videos of his hunting trips -- again,wishing you much success on your hunts, Monk

Thanks. It is a FPV camera that attaches to the eyepiece of one of the monoculars. It does great on stuff up close but at distance you lose smaller objects. I will have a DVR Friday for my thermal and it will provide much better video. As for the moving, there is not much I can do about that. I hunt alone and pretty much have to constantly scan as things usually happen pretty quick. I agree it isn’t ideal, but it does give you an idea of how much one has to be constantly looking.

I hunt in Anderson, Oconee, Pickens, Greenville, Abbeville and McCormick Counties mostly. Some over in GA.

Also if anyone is thinking about getting into the night vision game and has any questions feel free to ask.

This one is not as shakey. Around the 3 minute mark you can see 3 deer cross about 200 yards ahead of me. You can see it is difficult to make them out due to the cam not really being ideal for distance. The eyes usually show up best on the actual coyote videos.

I am sure if you are from Greenwood we may know some of the same people. I’ve worked in about every plant down there at some point.

i could see it's eyes coming at you in the last one. I like the color and contrast compared to what I use.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    Thanks.I am sure if you are from Greenwood we may know some of the same people. I’ve worked in about every plant down there at some point.
    Probably -- worked at Monsanto / Salutia/Accend now, for 11 years ( wife retired from there ) and I ran a small "beer joint" for awhile and know folks from all the plants nearby**-- would love to tag along and watch sometime if you want some company ?? -- take care,Monk

Ever look through an ATN, want to?
    I never lose, either I win or I learn.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl4...KYrd6gYeMvlnbw

Nice videos !