Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySwamp Boogers

Thread: Large Rifle vs. Small rifle primers???

Default Large Rifle vs. Small rifle primers???

Jester probably knows the answer to this. For example, the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed with a large rifle primer pocket, but now, brass makers like Lapua are making 6.5 Creedmoor brass with small rifle primer pockets. Well, does the primer matter to the rifle??? Meaning if the rifle is chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, does it matter if the primer is large or small rifle primer in relation to the functioning of the rifle not performance of the cartridge. After all, it is a center fire and the center of the brass is in the same place for both large and small primers, so the rifle itself should shoot the same. Is that correct??? Or does it require a whole different rifle to shoot the same 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge with a small rifle primer??? Was just thinking about it.
    Last edited by Skeeter22; 11-27-2018 at 06:55 AM.

I don’t think it would matter. I wonder why they want a small rifle primer in a 6.5. Even the 243 uses a large rifle primer?

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    I don’t think it would matter. I wonder why they want a small rifle primer in a 6.5. Even the 243 uses a large rifle primer?
    The claim is that the small rifle primer and smaller flash hole associated with it is more consistent and provides a higher degree of accuracy through consistency. I just have not found anything that says both pieces of brass work in the same rifle. Again, was just curious if anyone knew.

.45 ACP comes in both small and large pistol primers. It is not going to make a difference with the rifle. I think that you may have to make some adjustments to your powder charge.

The small primer vs the large rifle primer has nothing to do with the cartridge suitability in the fire arm. There is no difference to the firearm or the shooter.
    There is a difference in in the load performance, large rifle and small rifle primer cannot be substituted with the same loading data and expect the same results. An over pressure situation could occur so you will have to work up a load for the larger and smaller primers to be safe and ensure the performance you are expecting.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

you will also find them in .308 Palma cases, 6.8SPC, 6 & 6.5 Creedmoor , and I think they are now available in .260. I got some Starline cases free from the Starline Rep to neck down to .260 and try at the Rifle Expo....haven't had a chance. I think Lapua and Peterson Cartridge Co already make them in .260 small primer. I understand that there is a stronger more consistent ignition.

Skeeter22 the rifle don't care if it hit a small or large primer
    Yippee Ki Yay

6.5 Grendel comes in both large and small primers as well but I've found the small primer pockets to be more durable for reloading than the large primer pockets. Especially near the upper limits in pressure. No difference in performance on the range however, IMHO.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Thanks Bill, I forgot about the longevity advantage of the brass with the thicker web.

What ranges have you tested at checking for differences? How much of a change in charge do you see between the two?
    Yippee Ki Yay

I had pressure signs with large primer PPU brass at 26gr of 8208 XBR so I didn't compare the two with the same loads. My testing was at 100 yards. My Hornady brass (small primer pocket) loaded with 26 gr under a 123gr SST or A-Max holds up well so far in primer pocket consistency and especially in case stretch which is negligible at worst. But I set my shoulders back minimally. My chamber throat design is a Lothar Walther CSS.

I'll have to look up what primers I was using.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

I think the 6x47 and 6.5x47 Lapua brass also use small primers. Like Skeeter mentioned, more consistent pressure and can load slightly hotter without over pressure is the reason
    .45-70 is the only Government I trust...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    The small primer vs the large rifle primer has nothing to do with the cartridge suitability in the fire arm. There is no difference to the firearm or the shooter.
    There is a difference in in the load performance, large rifle and small rifle primer cannot be substituted with the same loading data and expect the same results. An over pressure situation could occur so you will have to work up a load for the larger and smaller primers to be safe and ensure the performance you are expecting.
    I figured as much, but I didn't see it in writing anywhere. Always best to ask around for data that is hard to find.