Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Question for SC trappers

Default Question for SC trappers

With all the various animals you guys trap here in SC, which furs produces the best prices ? Where does otter rank ?

Its been a long time since I have sold furs so can't help you there but still trap and sell to the live market hear locally. $50 for coyotes and $35 for reds or grays.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdoo View Post
    Its been a long time since I have sold furs so can't help you there but still trap and sell to the live market hear locally. $50 for coyotes and $35 for reds or grays.
    "Sell to live market"........So they can turn them loose somewhere else?

In dog pens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

You are right SCbowhunter1000, the pen I sell to is over 500 acres with 12' wire fence that surrounds the entire place.

Yep. Many do not like but it creates a market that at least covers gas money for trappers.

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

This is true and as a consolation very few coyotes escape a fox pen with their life.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    This is true and as a consolation very few coyotes escape a fox pen with their life.
    This is not directed at you per se, but I call BS on this. If one escapes that's one too many. I understand that there is also a migration factor but the coyote problem that SC presently owns is due to these "running pens" of yesteryear when the coyotes were illegally smuggled into SC by houndsmen.
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Quote Originally Posted by 280 Man View Post
    This is not directed at you per se, but I call BS on this. If one escapes that's one too many. I understand that there is also a migration factor but the coyote problem that SC presently owns is due to these "running pens" of yesteryear when the coyotes were illegally smuggled into SC by houndsmen.
    That is all true 280 but to the point of the post, it is an incentive for trappers to trap coyotes. They aren't doing it for the fur sales. It sudsidizes their cost. Coyotes don't last long in a fox pen. Hence the reason to buy more.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    That is all true 280 but to the point of the post, it is an incentive for trappers to trap coyotes. They aren't doing it for the fur sales. It sudsidizes their cost. Coyotes don't last long in a fox pen. Hence the reason to buy more.
    There in lies the problem as well. All the whining and moaning about the coyote problem and people are trapping and selling these nasty things. If it wasn't somewhat lucrative there would be no one doing it, well, legally anyway..And then there's the DNR! They are complicit by licensing these trapped coyotes and selling to running pens.
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

The General Assembly allows fox pens and charge to DNR with regulating them. As with many things a state agency doing as directed.