Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySouthern Junkey

Thread: Pic Rail vs Traditional Bases

Default Pic Rail vs Traditional Bases

I have a Remington 700 Tactical (6.5 Creedmoor) that I am ready to put a scope (Leupold VX-3i 3-9x50) on. It will be used primarily as a hunting rifle out to 400 yards. It came with the pic rail. For my purposes, should I keep the rail or go with a traditional base and rings set up?

67638FE3-3232-4033-8776-44A47554FF8F.jpg

5539391E-57C0-4113-AD58-465C22DB0F4C.jpg

C60CC877-A67E-4EC3-98A5-499FCF8A97B4.jpg

That pic rail gives you MORE room to adjust your eye relief with, so I'd keep it.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Thanks for the insight. I will definitely give the rail a try.

one day all of my rifles that can will have a pic rail. the ones i have been using the most do. not sure you can beat them for flexibility

is it a 0 cant?
    Yippee Ki Yay

It’s 20 MOA.

you might not like that...better send that to me

what it the overall V adjustment for that scope?
    Yippee Ki Yay

Scope is 52 moa according to Leupold website.

74901DE9-CD94-4DBD-8F65-E4BE1EE92E25.jpg

so roughly you have 26 MOA of up or down. You are taking 20 MOA out right off the bat... so you will have 6 MOA of down and 45 MOA of up. If you use a 0 you would have 26 each way. You may be OK.
    Yippee Ki Yay

If it doesn’t work, I have my all time favorite rifle laying in the safe with no glass. I can either get another scope for this rifle, or change the rail.

that is one of the advantages of a 30mm tube over the 1".
    no need to buy a scope it may work fine...just don't center the travel in your scope to bore sight it ...going to have to screw that puppy down
    gotta try it and see.

there are less expensive options for picatinnys if you don't mind aluminum if it doesn't work...20MOA shouldn't be hard to sell.
    EGW and Weaver. I picked up a Weaver for a L/A for around $30 the other day.
    Yippee Ki Yay

How did this work out for you?
    Yippee Ki Yay

I just shot it today for the first time. Itís a keeper. I changed the rail to a 0 MOA by EGW. Then, mounted the scope. When I went to bore sight it, it was pretty much lined up already. Shot it 8 times at a local indoor range. I had two clover leaf groups at 25 yards.

I was concerned about how tight the bolt was when it was loaded (See picture). I pulled the magazine spring out and banded it down for about a week. That help loosen it up some. After shooting it just a few times, itís starting to free up even more.

31D113AA-B651-43C7-A23C-C2E917EFFDED.jpg

My other concern was the trigger guard. I called Remington before breaking it down for the initial cleaning. The tech said to keep the action screws (Front & rear) less than 35 in/ft. I set mine at 30 to be safe, and the synthetic trigger guard cracked around the rear screw. Remington is sending me another as I write this. I installed a metal trigger guard from Midway to keep me going.

3A996D2F-16E7-4394-A9C6-18FA6FD8A698.jpg

CD0CC74D-4881-4A9F-89EF-BD76883FCBA6.jpg

yes sir...that is close...the 20MOA rail would have let the scope touch if I'm seeing the picture right. Send it to me and I will pay you if you don't want it.

don't forget to prove it at 100 and beyond

what do you mean the bolt was tight when it closed? What is the white stuff? DO you know how to disassemble the bolt to clean it?

30-35 inch pounds is right not foot pounds...in/ft throws me. The bottom metal is plastic?
    Yippee Ki Yay

Sometimes, my fingers are faster than my brain. I meant in/lb. I did disassemble the bolt and cleaned it. The bolt rubs against the next cartridge in the magazine. When the magazine has three rounds or less, it cycles smoothly. The lines on the bolt are the rub marks from the cartridges. I checked with some other guys who have the same rifle, and they said theirs did the same thing when they first got it. After shooting it for a while or polishing the bolt, it got better.

I usually keep one less than capacity in most of mine...that way I can drop the round from the chamber and snap it down in the mag...then no loose round hanging around.
    it should touch the bottom of the bolt but I wouldn't think it would have that much pressure...maybe so.
    some good grease on the races, the back of the lugs, the threads on the shroud, and where the cocking piece rides generally make the run smoother.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Jester, I’ve decided to contact Remington and send the rifle back to them. I’m having two major problems with it. It still feeds rough, and can be very difficult to close the bolt. It also becomes very tight and difficult to open after firing every third round or so. I can’t get it to consistently group either. Two shots may be close to the same hole; while the third and fourth land in two separate locations. After 8 shots or so, my target looks like it’s been shot by a shotgun.

I picked up a Savage Axis XP Predator (It says heavy barrel, but it’s more medium contour than heavy) in 6.5 creedmoor, and it shots like a laser. I couldn’t refuse the deal. It was on sale for $358. Savage has a $60 rebate on the axis right now. Then, I remembered I had a $150 gift card from AT&T that expires in Jan of 19. Out the door, I have $148 in the rifle.

I’m still interested in building the Remington up with a new trigger and stock. I’ll pull the Leupold off of it and put it on the Savage. Then, put a 30mm tube scope on the Remmy. I just want to make sure there isn’t going on with the action first.

$148 might have got me in a Savage 6.5CM too.

Wish I was closer we would run a borescope down it for a look. Do you have stuff to measure a case to check the headspace? Is this with any ammo you use? What does the primer look like? Did you drop the bullet weight to see if it still did it?

I went to visit a friend in FL today and came home with a spiral fluted STD face 700 bolt and a .243 youth barrel and recoil lug....two more pieces and I will have a rifle...I like 700s
    The 6MM Ruger #1 got away from me
    Yippee Ki Yay

I’ve looked down the barrel and haven’t seen anything. I don’t have the equipment or knowledge to check the headspace. The primer looks good, and it does it with different types of ammo. I’ve used the Hornady Black (140), Winchester Deer XP (125), and Federal Nontypical (140).

I would be interesting to find out what Remington finds...probably will never know
    Yippee Ki Yay