Advertise on SCONSwamp Boogers

Thread: First split

Default First split

Mine was dead. Probably the worst I've seen in 5 years. Anyone else experience this, or was is just my spot? Second split to come.

What’s a split? When I was in PA, we had a bad ice storm on top of 12” of snow. The ice was so thick nothing could kick through it. Hundreds of deer perished when they spread eagled on the ice and split themselves internally. Is this what you’re talking about?
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

My first part was not all that great either. Last Saturday of it I did see lots of high flying birds. Had a group of mallards circle a couple times and some teal. Was not a great wood duck flight though. Looking forward to the second.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Seeing a few flocks of geese feeding in fields.

First split is always mostly about local birds. AND it is over fast, mostly wood ducks and a few mallards. We have several areas near our deer lease that have duck hunting. Heard a couple good shoots opening morning but not much after that. They usually shoot good most mornings. This year there was much less shooting at sunrise.

My advise is scout and pick your primary spot well. You should be through by 9:00 or 10:00. Spend the rest of the day scouting to find where the birds went after run out of their nownal haunts. I used to hunt mornings and scout the rest of the day for a place to hunt the next day. If primary is hot no problem going back the next morning. To be successful duck hunting you have to scout, scout, scout. Spent many a day scouting and run out two tanks of gas. My Saturday morning hunting companions were alway happy with the results but never knew what it takes.

New birds are several weeks away depending on weather, which hasnt happened yet.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Bud View Post
    What’s a split? When I was in PA, we had a bad ice storm on top of 12” of snow. The ice was so thick nothing could kick through it. Hundreds of deer perished when they spread eagled on the ice and split themselves internally. Is this what you’re talking about?
    First split for duck season. It is the time season opens to the time it temporarily closes.

Mine has sucked because I haven’t been able to go
    Hopefully this weekend I go