Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: First Xbow Deer...

Default First Xbow Deer...

Sat a really tight quarters choke point this afternoon. Sat on one side of it with my back to the water, and only had to watch in front of me, since the Deer couldn't get behind me, and since it was only 25 yards across to the water on the other side...didn't see the need to carry a gun, so carried the Xbow.

Seen 4 Otters, maybe 6...couldn't be sure since they kept coming from the same area, then going back again. Fun to watch though. Seen this Doe and what looked like a small 4 or 6 point Buck coming my way...slowly...back in the Wax Myrtles along the length of the funnel. The Doe was moving closer to me faster than the Buck was, so I planned to try for her.

She got to within 15 yards, but she was always head on to me, or moving around in those 8 foot tall Wax Myrtles and didn't present a decent shot. Finally...as she quartered away...in a hole in the brush, I got a shot. She was quartered a little harder than I thought though. Bolt hit her a few inches behind the last ribs, and hit the off side joint of the shoulder.

She only went about 20 yards, around in a U shaped run back the way she had come, stopped, then fell over. The Buck just stood there about 35 yards away, trying to figure out what had just happened.

He finally left, and I got down and took his girlfriend for a Canoe ride...

That's pretty much the angle the Bolt took. Managed to pull it out even though it went in up to the fletching.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Nice hunt!
    I'm considering using my crossbow in a tight spot near a main bedding area before the season is out. My only kills this year have been with the crossbow even though I have been handgun and rifle hunting since the 11th of October.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

I'll probably use the crossbow a lot more next year. We have a good bit of archery WMA around the areas I hunt, that I plan to scout for next season. I got her in a gun WMA. First Deer I've taken with an arrow in a long time.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Congratulations on another first in your life. Great hunt story, too.

Awesome, congrats to you!
    Be careful even monkeys fall out of trees. www.whitetailsunlimitedtaxidermy.com www.swampboogers.com

SPONSOR

smh...why you make it look so easy

Good Job!
    Yippee Ki Yay

Congrats....Those crossbows are fun. I really like my Tenpoint FX4....
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.