Advertise on SCONAdvertise on SCON
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 10th opener statewide

Default April 10th opener statewide

That is the SCDNR recommendation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

If it goes to the May 15th then I am fine with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.í Isaiah 41:10

More time to bass fish. That even takes you past the spawn.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

That would be very disappointing. Never hunted them outside of the lowcountry so cant speak for prime time in the rest of the state,but the 17th to the 22th is absolutely the best six days most years to hunt where I do. Early warm weather can move the dates up to the 13th or 14th to start the prime six days. Opening the 10th doesn't leave much hunting of henned up birds. By the 24th or 25th your hunting silent birds so the late opening only gives you 2 weeks of good hunting. Hope it doesn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampChicken View Post
    That would be very disappointing. Never hunted them outside of the lowcountry so cant speak for prime time in the rest of the state,but the 17th to the 22th is absolutely the best six days most years to hunt where I do. Early warm weather can move the dates up to the 13th or 14th to start the prime six days. Opening the 10th doesn't leave much hunting of henned up birds. By the 24th or 25th your hunting silent birds so the late opening only gives you 2 weeks of good hunting. Hope it doesn't change.
    What type of pressure does this spot receive? How is it hunted?

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.í Isaiah 41:10

These days 90% of my hunting is in the Wambaw unit of FMNF. Public land so it gets pressured. Don't hunt the popular spots but even the fringe birds are difficult. Not sure what you mean by how is it hunted. Locate with owl call or cutting and go to bird to call into range. Last week of season cutting aggressively(no yelping) in known strut zone or close to the road and sitting quietly for an hour or so to kill the silent ones. No blind hunting. Don't use decoys.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampChicken View Post
    I 2nd that ��

So much for nice crisp mornings to hunt if that passes. I remember the old April 1st opener seasons that the majority of birds were killed the first 5 or 6 days of April. Are they going to give us our 5 birds back?

Not with the results of the research.

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Hey SC Bow. since you have opened this can of worms and indicated that you have researched the 4/10 opener, can you give us info on who and where you researched the proposed opening?? If you have more info how bout getting it in the open, many of us would like to comment to our reps or SCDR. Give us the goods if you got em?? Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for the information

Interesting article thanks for the link. It stated the study was done on the coastal plane and the dates for the upstate would be later. If the season dates do change the recommended dates would be best for upstate and the alternative dates for coastal plane counties. I must say their nest incubation start date of the 22nd was dead on. With all the hens now incubating their eggs and no longer visiting the gobblers the " turkey rut is over ". Gobblers begin changing their patterns and are harder to kill so extending the season into May is like extending deer season into January. Does it matter? Also why its important to change hunting strategy after the 22nd (there are no hens walking around the woods yelping) so you shouldn't be either.

Thanks for the info.

I've hunted turkeys every year and started in the 50's and thought our season was set right because never heard any gobbling at the last and especially the first of May. I've always heard them tearing it up in Feb. but when may rolled around--zip. Hunted N,Y. for over 39 years which their season comes in May 1. Found many nest with hens sitting and their hunters are gripping that they need to open their season in the middle of May. Second week in May their birds have shut up and getting back together. Their ending sucks for me and and I can't see how a Biologist thinks hes right when that is done?? Just my 2 cents.

Alabama is doing similar research. I suspect most SE states will move back their openers with this research.

I have had plenty of great hunts the last week of April through the first week of May. When the season was extended from the first of May to the 5th I was very glad to see it. I have been great with an April 1 - May 15th. Birds are still doing their thing into May.

March>April>May. It seems as if the state wants to make it harder and harder on the hunter. There are plenty of turkeys in the woods and we can only kill 3. And most good turkey hunters get their limit fairly early and then try to find someone else to take. If they are worried about turkeys being killed eliminate hunters that are tagged out from hunting anymore. Anybody can pull a trigger but it takes more knowledge to get one into range and recognize where a turkey wants to go and woodsmanship. So if they are worried about numbers eliminate that and if someone wants to call for someone else make sure they have an unused tag. If not leave it where it is and let it continue to open March 20th and run through May 5th and everybody gets to hunt when they want to. I agree you can kill birds in May but they are less birds in the woods and takes more effort and it gets up in the 80s a lot. Iíd rather kill my 3 when itís nice and cool and not get back to the truck with a soaked shirt and pulling ticks off of me.

Good information. From a quality (quality = vocal gobblers) hunt experience pushing the start date back make sense. I would also be in favor of (1) gobbler per day vs. 2, and cutting the season limit to 2.

SC DNR is doing what they should do, and focusing on the quality of the animal and the hunt experience. Politicians will look at quantity ($$ and votes) and act accordingly.

A 5 bird limit to 2 bird will be unacceptable! Will they go down on the price of a license then? The change a few years ago is ridiculous, the proposed changes are ridiculous. Everyone likes to bring up other states and don’t realize with fall seasons many of those you can kill more than 3 birds a year. We are being restricted out of existence and the more that happen the closer we are to not even being able to hunt. Should be two separate start and end dates for SC. Period. End of discussion. If it starts later then those days should be tacked on to prolong the end dates. Let’s start doing things that help for once. Give the landowners that don’t cut hardwoods or plant hardwoods a tax break. Let trappers trap nest predators until their numbers are back in check. Start to program to teach landowners to not burn or bushhog from March thru July. Let’s try other options before restricting hunters.
    Last edited by 3chunter; 01-04-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Quote Originally Posted by 3chunter View Post
    A 5 bird limit to 2 bird will be unacceptable! Will they go down on the price of a license then? The change a few years ago is ridiculous, the proposed changes are ridiculous. Everyone likes to bring up other states and donít realize with fall seasons many of those you can kill more than 3 birds a year. We are being restricted out of existence and the more that happen the closer we are to not even being able to hunt. Should be two separate start and end dates for SC. Period. End of discussion. If it starts later then those days should be tacked on to prolong the end dates. Letís start doing things that help for once. Give the landowners that donít cut hardwoods or plant hardwoods a tax break. Let trappers trap nest predators until their numbers are back in check. Start to program to teach landowners to not burn or bushhog from March thru July. Letís try other options before restricting hunters.
    One of most sensible posts Iíve read in a while. Great idea of teaching people how to make their properties more suitable to wildlife/turkeys instead of doing what they doing.
    Whatbthey

DNR just started an extensive deer/coyote study. Hopefully, they will get more answers like they have on turkeys.

Is this proposed date change for this spring 2019 or 2020 spring?

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    DNR just started an extensive deer/coyote study. Hopefully, they will get more answers like they have on turkeys.
    Do you know any specifics on it? I hope they do it in all regions and different habitats and get a true result instead of one property and say coyotes are killing 75% and restrict us even more.

I’m all for preserving our resources and doing what we need to do to protect our hunting but from what I see on several properties I hunt and even from game wardens I know and the reports they give me we do not have a deer population problem. This is mostly on private lands where people plant plots and do timber management. I have heard that hunting was poor on a lot of the WMA properties in the upstate and deer are just not there like they used to be. Maybe they should concentrate on making these properties more suitable for wildlife and cut timber to give them browse instead of leaving a few pines and letting the understory grow up in volunteer pines so thick you can’t walk through them. Very little greenbriar in there. Deer on WMAs I coon hunt have very little to eat after acorns are gone and we did not have many acorns this year. Thick areas would give coyotes more options on rabbits and rodents as well. At the end of the day a deer or a turkey is not going to be in a place that doesn’t give them what they need to survive. Coyotes are not going anywhere so make the habitat suitable for deer and turkeys and you will have good hunting.
    Last edited by Tater50; 01-06-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Saw a picture on Facebook yesterday of a dead radio collared coyote.

Why not just close the season permanently and make turkeys an endangered species........Seems like that the end goal.

Turkey are not endangered but there is nothing wrong being proactive with a declining population. They were asleep at the switch on the declining deer population and to a major extent still are.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

People clear all their property and then wonder where their turkeys are. That’s a major problem these days but not the main issue. Main issue is predator numbers are enormous and the law won’t let us shoot hawks and our trapping season isn’t long. Fix those and the population would increase drastically.
    Infamous Beard Buster

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Turkey are not endangered but there is nothing wrong being proactive with a declining population. They were asleep at the switch on the declining deer population and to a major extent still are.
    You couldn't BUY a deer decline in Barnwell or Allendale county. More now than ever. Turkeys a little more sensitive to habitat changes. Again no decline noted by turkey sightings during deer season. We need to get away from the one size fits all seasons and make the season match the local as in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    We need to get away from the one size fits all seasons and make the season match the local as in the past.
    X2
    As diverse as habitat is from the coastal plains to the Mountains a one size fits all does not work. However the DNR has to work within the guidelines of the General Assemble. Change can be difficult. Small steps at first but don't expect to see limits go back up (EVER).
    Henry Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast