Advertise on SCONUTS Web Solutions
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: April 10th opener statewide

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    The items they have proposed are to tweak the harvest numbers. If that is what they want to do they need to do, do that. Don't be bashful about it. You don't need additional regulations to do that. They are trying to lower the harvest and think you don't have the sense to know that. Take this into consideration no matter how they curtail the harvest days lost will not be given back and tags lost will not be given back.
    Maybe but I see the main goal as resetting the season start date to allow breeding. Additional regs may just be bargaining chips to get buy in from the public.

I know low state guys probably look at season dates differently with the March dates they've had for years. That's apples to oranges because I think on average we probably have a pile more pressure in the upstate, hunter to tom ratio, smaller tracts of land. Either way, April openers work just fine at either end and in the middle. 4 weeks is plenty of time to get it done as well.
    Worship the LORD, not His creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Nonsense. We increased the deer harvest when needed and it one time had a fall turkey season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fall seasons went out back around 91-92. That was 8-9 years prior to the record harvest that Charles Ruth always refers to when telling us how bad things are in each report. Fall hunting was killed off by public opinion, nothing else. I am no fan of fall turkey hunting and have no reason to be biased one way or the other.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by spur hunter View Post
    Maybe but I see the main goal as resetting the season start date to allow breeding. Additional regs may just be bargaining chips to get buy in from the public.

I know low state guys probably look at season dates differently with the March dates they've had for years. That's apples to oranges because I think on average we probably have a pile more pressure in the upstate, hunter to tom ratio, smaller tracts of land. Either way, April openers work just fine at either end and in the middle. 4 weeks is plenty of time to get it done as well.
    This is all true. DNR need to do what is they feel is right to deal with the resource in the open. And I know you have a unique situation in SC with the GA making game rule rather than DNR. They will be lobbied hard by both camps if this is ever proposed so they have to appease their constituents. It seems DNR is trying to be proactive here.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Even if they lower the limit to 1 tag I will assure you I will post a picture somewhere on social media of a dead turkey with it on it's leg. Not only for my ego but with the satisfaction it peeves some folks off.

Somebody touched on what I mentioned a while back. If they are really concerned with how many turkeys are killed then why add days to the season and once a guy is “tagged out” why let him continue to hunt. If he tags out chances are he knows what he is doing and gets birds in front of other people for them to kill so he is actually responsible for more than his 3. Simple way to get around that is to hold on to your last tag but if they didn’t want turkeys killed at the rate they had been then I don’t understand why they don’t address them two issues.

I killed single birds on second or third day of season last year but couple days later killed one where a pair came in together. Your single birds with hens tend to be your more dominant birds and the groups of gobblers in early season are usually 2 year olds from my experience. A day after season closed I saw over 20 plus gobblers in one field. They had simply bunched back up and a man could shoot into the flock and kill 2-3 with one shot.
    Last edited by Tater50; 01-30-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Even if they lower the limit to 1 tag I will assure you I will post a picture somewhere on social media of a dead turkey with it on it's leg. Not only for my ego but with the satisfaction it peeves some folks off.
    Yes. Wont be long!
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I understand there are turkeys behind every tree on the well managed planet you live on tater. We are talking about the other 99% of folks who live in the real world of hunting.

I understand there are turkeys behind every tree on the well managed planet you live on tater. We are talking about the other 99% of folks who live in the real world of hunting.
    Actually the 20 something bunched up was on notorious tract known for poaching that doesn’t hold many birds at all during the season. And we all know the turkeys that you are responsible for being killed over the years which is impressive. Most of us want to live on your planet Spur. ��

I donít even know why I subject myself to posting here and anywhere anymore. You guys have a good one! Peace out!

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I donít even know why I subject myself to posting here and anywhere anymore. You guys have a good one! Peace out!
    Well, ok then. Who are you replying to, and what are you upset about? This is a discussion board, right? I didnít think anyone even came after you or anything...odd for a discussion of potential changes to legislation governing a sport we all are passionate about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    Actually the 20 something bunched up was on notorious tract known for poaching that doesn’t hold many birds at all during the season. And we all know the turkeys that you are responsible for being killed over the years which is impressive. Most of us want to live on your planet Spur. ��
    It ain't all that. Have a great spring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    I don’t even know why I subject myself to posting here and anywhere anymore. You guys have a good one! Peace out!
    Because you post thought provoking subjects and material. I still say I would benefit from a "poking holes in the air" emoji.

It ain't all that. Have a great spring.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you post thought provoking subjects and material. I still say I would benefit from a "poking holes in the air" emoji.
    What is that emoji look like?
    Henry Ford

If some of you that love those dates would hunt in NY when their season opens May 1 and those hunters are raising cain and want it to open in April. After hunting their 1st week up their you can almost call their season over. I'm a believer that the game dept. would love to change it to give the birds a break and like to say, "Build the flock",.I don't think their was a problem with the March opening????? I think its more political than results of a Study??

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdoo View Post
    If some of you that love those dates would hunt in NY when their season opens May 1 and those hunters are raising cain and want it to open in April. After hunting their 1st week up their you can almost call their season over. I'm a believer that the game dept. would love to change it to give the birds a break and like to say, "Build the flock",.I don't think their was a problem with the March opening????? I think its more political than results of a Study??
    Yep, just be honest.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdoo View Post
    X2.....

I think most hunters have one of two view points on March opener dates. One is from those who hunt the low state and have had March dates for years. The other is from upstate hunters who want the same. Having hunted both ends of this state for a number of years I hold the opinion and belief that hunting turkeys in the upstate in mid March ain't helping turkeys, even with adjusted limits. I ain't fighting to maintain a 3 limit level making this comment either. If you jack it down to 1 and keep the early opener and season long I think it's gonna be the same slide, just maybe a little slower.

Consider these new commercially available TSS loads, new fangled dekes, 360 blinds, trail cameras and other stuff thrown in. I ain't a methods snob but this ain't your methods being used when we had plenty of turkeys around.

Consider these new commercially available TSS loads, new fangled dekes, 360 blinds, trail cameras and other stuff thrown in. I ain't a methods snob but this ain't your methods being used when we had plenty of turkeys around.
    I agree these things make it easier for a while but eventually they loose their edge. The motion duck decoys were deadly for a few year then not so much of an advantage but people still use them. However we been using motion decoys for 100 years they just were not motorized.
    Henry Ford

I disagree the m range of a shotgun with optics and TSS is twice as far was what used in the 80ís. Then a blind over a chuffa patch is more deadly than corn. We have more turkey hunters and less habitat. Then we had trappers that made money trapping. Land access for trappers was limited back then because everyone had some trapping their place. Less fire ants also.

So the limit and season had to change or limit the methods. That is only variable DNR can control.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

You need to realize or develop what is an acceptable harvest rate then set up regulations to make that happen, whether is season opening date, length or limit. It is just math at that point.
    Henry Ford

Ok, but what I am reading here is some like me are arguing to fix breeding/recruitment being impacted adversely by season start dates while some here want to argue it's the harvest rate issue that needs to be fixed first, the "math". While it could be some of both my opinion is still that you need to let breeding happen THEN adjust harvest. I read the DNR report. Seems that's the approach they are suggesting.

Three years ago we adjusted harvest and monkeyed with season opener dates. Adjusting harvest didn't amount to squat as a result based on last year's "math". It's like buying more checks for your check book when you ain't putting squat into the account.

Ok, but what I am reading here is some like me are arguing to fix breeding/recruitment being impacted adversely by season start dates while some here want to argue it's the harvest rate issue that needs to be fixed first, the "math". While it could be some of both my opinion is still that you need to let breeding happen THEN adjust harvest. I read the DNR report. Seems that's the approach they are suggesting.

Three years ago we adjusted harvest and monkeyed with season opener dates. Adjusting harvest didn't amount to squat as a result based on last year's "math". It's like buying more checks for your check book when you ain't putting squat into the account.
    I not arguing as we sort of agree there may be a problem. To fixing a problem first you have to have a goal and then an action plan to get to that goal. I was fine with the April 1 opening we had for years and the amount of tags don't matter to me. Those that are arguing are denying there IS a problem. I don't see it as a major problem that a little tinkering with the dates and limits can't over come. On the other hand it may never turn around to the glory days. Probably not. My thoughts are there are more people hunting, hunters are better equipped, and have more knowledge (for some anyway) than ever before as well as plenty of days to hunt. I have one lease where the turkey are hard to hunt and another where they act like the TV turkeys, just come a running. The location on that lease is what I associate the difference. Never seen or heard anyone turkey hunting anywhere near those birds, not even at the local fuel and food station, no hunters there.+

And Yes both starting dates and harvest rate affect recruitment.
    Henry Ford

I meant to say "it's like arguing about buying more checks for your check book when you ain't putting squat into the account."

Difficult turkeys are mostly turkeys that have been hunted and buggered. Even the greatest hunter buggers turkeys while coming up empty and even a novice can stumble into the same turkey in the right circumstances and whack him. That's the appeal for me. Happy with the luck either way and even happier when I can fool myself into thinking I figured it all out ahead of time.

Just an observation from yesterday while out working in the rain. Obviously it had the turkeys out in the fields and I saw over 200. Several longbeards strutting with hens and one ol boy was breeding a hen or Atleast trying to. Was nowhere near where I hunt tho. Saw lots of jakes as well so was encouraging

https://www.fieldandstream.com/speci...tern-us#page-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Thanks SC that answers to the points brought up in this thread and my point made. If the population is declining and you wish to respond change the season dates and bag limit. It seems SCDNR is following right along with this research recommendation so there is some science behind it. These are proactive steps before there is a major problem.
    Henry Ford

I reckon if and when they become pest as the deer are. We'll get depredation permits on them too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    I reckon if and when they become pest as the deer are. We'll get depredation permits on them too.
    They are pest when youhave corn piles for the deer and those corn vulchers move in.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    They are pest when youhave corn piles for the deer and those corn vulchers move in.
    You are sooooo! Correct! That's why we went strictly to cob and timed feeders. At one of my spots the same drove would come in each morning and camp out till it was gone........And ironically they were like welfare recipients.....Once the free food was gone. They were gone too. Not a sign or peep during turkey season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    You are sooooo! Correct! That's why we went strictly to cob and timed feeders. At one of my spots the same drove would come in each morning and camp out till it was gone........And ironically they were like welfare recipients.....Once the free food was gone. They were gone too. Not a sign or peep during turkey season.
    Cobb helps out but I have seen turkey toss it up in the air to know off the kernels. Funny thing, wearing an orange vest and waving hands they just stand ther and look at you. Now in the spring they will run like crazy if you move while camouflaged. Seems they know they are safe in deer season.
    Henry Ford

Worked a different area today and it Rained all day so I glanced in the fields and seen probably 400-500 turkeys. Still big flocks but some longbeards are strutting with hens. I bet I seen 150-200 jakes and 50 or so longbeards. They were everywhere and turkeys in places I never seen turkeys before.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast