Advertise on SCONWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: April 10th opener statewide

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    Oh! reading what davisd9 posted.. it looked like you did...guess I am having comprehension problems again
    No but I know some that do.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    Oh! reading what davisd9 posted.. it looked like you did...guess I am having comprehension problems again
    Some keep hunting hogs over bait during turkey season. Things become complicated when one neighbor is turkey hunting and the other neighbor is turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Does it give you the right to go next door and check things out before you hunt? Seems that needs to be challenged in court.
    Yippee Ki Yay

If corn is out in March and April around the places I hunt it’s for turkeys. Not all areas of SC have hogs. I’ve been hunting over 30 years in this state and never seen a hog but yeah plenty people bait for turkeys I’m sure cause the local feed guy sells a lot if shelled corn that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    If corn is out in March and April around the places I hunt itís for turkeys. Not all areas of SC have hogs. Iíve been hunting over 30 years in this state and never seen a hog but yeah plenty people bait for turkeys Iím sure cause the local feed guy sells a lot if shelled corn that time of year.
    Baiting is easy to get a conviction but requires a lot of foot work to make happen. Much easier to get evidence with baiting ducks. I have seen both in SC. Even witnessed feed being scattered also feeders running. Called the GW in for both turkey and duck in the past, probably wouldnít again.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Guess I should have been more clear. Two properties I hunt have a lot of hogs and some like to hunt those hogs. If corn is put on the ground for the hogs the whole place is considered baited for up to 10 days after all the bait has been gone, even if I hunt 500 yards from it. I would like a defined parameters from the bait such as Mississippi's rule of 200 yards. I would be perfectly ok with just banning baiting year around again also.

It is easy to get a baiting ticket in SC during turkey season because the law allows the meaning to be up to the officer. You can be on 1000 acres and corn be on the opposite side of the property than you and you can get a ticket if they can prove there is bait on the ground while you are hunting or has not been absent for 10 days. I know guys that got a ticket that never knew it was there. Most wardens will usually try to figure out your knowledge of the situation and will usually give a warning if they believe you truly were ignorant of the situation, but the wide open law can put a person trying to follow the law in a tough situation.

SECTION 50-11-510. Prohibition against baiting wild turkeys; definitions.

It is unlawful for a person to hunt or take or attempt to hunt or take a wild turkey by means of, or aid or use of, bait or baiting or on or over any baited area.

As used in this section, "bait" or "baiting' means the placing, "depositing, exposing, distributing, or scattering of salt, shelled, shucked, or unshucked corn, wheat, or other grain, or other foodstuffs to constitute for wild turkeys a lure, attraction, or enticement to, on, or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them, and "baited area" means an area where salt, shelled, shucked, or unshucked corn, wheat, or other grain, or other foodstuffs capable of luring, attracting, or enticing wild turkeys is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and the area remains a baited area for ten days following complete removal of all bait.

HISTORY: 1988 Act No. 584, Section 1; 1993 Act No. 181, Section 1262.
    Last edited by davisd9; 05-13-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.í Isaiah 41:10

I don’t like baiting for turkeys during season either. Hard for wardens to catch then when you have 3-4 wardens per county and only a couple working at a time. I’ve never been checked by a game warden but 3 times in my life. I don’t break the laws so I know they don’t get complaints on me but once was coon hunting and twice was on Murray crappie fishing. The last time was a couple weeks ago.

so... it is like your original statement...left open for far too much interpretation

i think that is what I would fight to change. It is probably the same way here...I just don't think about it. We used to have a 200 yard rule when it wasn't legal to bait deer.

I just don't think I would pay that ticket and let it slide....someone should set a precedent.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Guess I should have been more clear. Two properties I hunt have a lot of hogs and some like to hunt those hogs. If corn is put on the ground for the hogs the whole place is considered baited for up to 10 days after all the bait has been gone, even if I hunt 500 yards from it. I would like a defined parameters from the bait such as Mississippi's rule of 200 yards. I would be perfectly ok with just banning baiting year around again also.

It is easy to get a baiting ticket in SC during turkey season because the law allows the meaning to be up to the officer. You can be on 1000 acres and corn be on the opposite side of the property than you and you can get a ticket if they can prove there is bait on the ground while you are hunting or has not been absent for 10 days. I know guys that got a ticket that never knew it was there. Most wardens will usually try to figure out your knowledge of the situation and will usually give a warning if they believe you truly were ignorant of the situation, but the wide open law can put a person trying to follow the law in a tough situation.

SECTION 50-11-510. Prohibition against baiting wild turkeys; definitions.

It is unlawful for a person to hunt or take or attempt to hunt or take a wild turkey by means of, or aid or use of, bait or baiting or on or over any baited area.

As used in this section, "bait" or "baiting' means the placing, "depositing, exposing, distributing, or scattering of salt, shelled, shucked, or unshucked corn, wheat, or other grain, or other foodstuffs to constitute for wild turkeys a lure, attraction, or enticement to, on, or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them, and "baited area" means an area where salt, shelled, shucked, or unshucked corn, wheat, or other grain, or other foodstuffs capable of luring, attracting, or enticing wild turkeys is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and the area remains a baited area for ten days following complete removal of all bait.

HISTORY: 1988 Act No. 584, Section 1; 1993 Act No. 181, Section 1262.
    I think the turkey baiting rules are left vague as to deter baiting. As I understand it from the GW if your land is baited anywhere, all your land is considered baited. If your neighbors land is baited you may still be in jeopardy if it is reasonable to assume the neighboring land is baited. They are saying plain and simple don't try any BS about baiting turkeys. Our property is 2 miles long so it is entirely feasible for someone to bait on one section and you be a mile away so you would never know but in a sense all the land is now baited.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    I don’t like baiting for turkeys during season either. Hard for wardens to catch then when you have 3-4 wardens per county and only a couple working at a time. I’ve never been checked by a game warden but 3 times in my life. I don’t break the laws so I know they don’t get complaints on me but once was coon hunting and twice was on Murray crappie fishing. The last time was a couple weeks ago.
    I get checked fishing a couple time a years but haven't been checked hunting is over 20 years.
    Henry Ford

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112