Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyUTS Web Solutions
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213

Thread: April 10th opener statewide

I think it's already been determined ,wildlife belongs to the government.

Wildlife belongs to state residents, government manages but we own.

The conflict here, some are focused on their hunt and locality while others have a much boarder view. I can and have went out found some of the best hunting in SC if you seek there are fine places all over. Then and now I have keep a macro view for wildlife management in SC. All hunters are not stewards as we see some mentality’s. Limits in SC are limited enough to enough the outdoors. Blasting DNR with the 1st preface it is too hot hunt May can never be taken serious. DNR mission is not make hunters comfortable. If you cannot deal with the weather stay home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

Ok ,Wildlife belongs to state residents, government manages but we own. I'm 66, born in Spartanburg County. Started hunting and fishing at a early age. There where no deer or turkey. How did we get hunting populations ? They just show up?

As Friday would say “just the facts ma’am”

The population is on a decline in most of the east and southeast. What to do, what to do, Decrease harvest. DNR objective is to decrease harvest. The stealth method is manipulate seasons for a lower harvest. The proactive response is to lower limits. The stealth methods confuses most hunters as biological. The lower limits angers hunters that think they are not getting their share of the harvest.

To lower the harvest all they have to do is lower the limit, no smoke and mirrors. AND if you don’t have a tag in your pocket you don’t hunt or participate in the hunt. An unlicensed hunter can accompany but cannot participate in the hunt while hunting other game so why with turkey. You burn your tags you are now fishing for the rest of the spring. I know this will pi$$ off some but if DNR wants to decrease harvest, decrease harvest.
    Last edited by Iceman; 06-09-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    As Friday would say “just the facts ma’am”

The population is on a decline in most of the east and southeast. What to do, what to do, Decrease harvest. DNR objective is to decrease harvest. The stealth method is manipulate seasons for a lower harvest. The proactive response is to lower limits. The stealth methods confuses most hunters as biological. The lower limits angers hunters that think they are not getting their share of the harvest.

To lower the harvest all they have to do is lower the limit, no smoke and mirrors. AND if you don’t have a tag in your pocket you don’t hunt or participate in the hunt. An unlicensed hunter can accompany but cannot participate in the hunt while hunting other game so why with turkey. You burn your tags you are now fishing for the rest of the spring. I know this will pi$$ off some but if DNR wants to decrease harvest, decrease harvest.
    Good point. They lower limits but extend the season by several days. People tag out and are usually pretty good hunters and passionate about the sport so they go and call for other people and are responsible for a lot more turkey kills than their 3. I’m guilty of it in the past but if someone supports the new laws and regs they should kill their limit and go do something else imo

I have a couple properties that I’m the only one that hunts and I kill a couple on it and leave it alone. If I was to take a couple of my buddies and let them kill a couple a piece every year then before long I’m sure I would see a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Wildlife belongs to state residents, government manages but we own.

The conflict here, some are focused on their hunt and locality while others have a much boarder view. I can and have went out found some of the best hunting in SC if you seek there are fine places all over. Then and now I have keep a macro view for wildlife management in SC. All hunters are not stewards as we see some mentality’s. Limits in SC are limited enough to enough the outdoors. Blasting DNR with the 1st preface it is too hot hunt May can never be taken serious. DNR mission is not make hunters comfortable. If you cannot deal with the weather stay home.

What language is this? That May heat got to you?

Don’t say some, say me. I’m against hunting in May, the hunting sucks and the birds have lost interest in the areas I hunt by then and yes it’s miserable. I’m more hot natured than a lot of people I’ll admit that. Plus I give a lot more to the turkeys and other game than I take as far as that goes. And at the end of the day if the DNR and lawmakers do such a good job with the natural resources in this state then why are people complaining About the turkey and deer population?
    Last edited by Tater50; 06-09-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Huck View Post
    Ok ,Wildlife belongs to state residents, government manages but we own. I'm 66, born in Spartanburg County. Started hunting and fishing at a early age. There where no deer or turkey. How did we get hunting populations ? They just show up?
    I agree totally with what you're saying. If DNR hadn't physically relocated deer and turkeys to the upstate, there wouldn't be any to hunt today at all. they're not out to ruin things for hunters at all, but achieve a delicate balance that helps maintain the sport for hunters while sustaining or even growing the population.

The folks who hate the DNR and government in general seem to forget that "we the people" hunted upstate deer and turkey into extinction.

I support the early season limit of one. It beats a later start date to the season in general. That's a nice balance between hunter satisfaction and maintaining the resource.
    learn the sacred words pr@ise h@il $@t@n

There are coyotes all over the state and the spotted bass is plentiful and ruining some of the largemouth bass fisheries in this state and DNR says they did not introduce these species. There is a lot more interest in deer and turkey hunting than coyotes. Hunters would have introduce these animals in this state whether DNR stocked them in some places or not. I know of Ohio deer that was introduced years ago by hunters.

Funny how some people think deer and turkeys would not be in this state if not for DNR but coyotes and other species have found their way in this state in healthy numbers even when DNR says they are not wanted

You are naive. Without wildlife laws there maybe wildlife but it would privatized.

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

I never said we don't need wildlife laws, I merely disagree with where they set the seasons or how they did the study all on WMAs in the lowcountry to get their info.

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    You are naive. Without wildlife laws there maybe wildlife but it would privatized.

Correction: Without the North American conservation model, wildlife would be privatized and considerably less distributed. Laws are only to ensure fair chase, protect populations from depletion due to over harvest, and to keep numbers within the carrying capacity of the land. I forgot to collect money also.
    Last edited by Iceman; 06-10-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Well yeah but the wildlife laws and regulations coupled with the States Constitutions is what makes up the NACM.

But really you cannot have a debate with anyone that believe in the coyote released conspiracy.

Most of our game depts have created an excess of game in many areas. There are more deer and turkey now than in US history. They have done a good job which none can argue against. Waterfowl is another problem and unique to itself subject to many influences other than hunters, but I think they are doing the best they can.

I just want to know who dumped all these white perch in every lake on the Catawba river system and why. I think I know but wouldn’t want to start another conspiracy theory.
    Henry Ford

And striped b******************** brown and rainbow trout, blue cats ect. Guess we have to take the good with the bad.

And striped b******************** brown and rainbow trout, blue cats ect. Guess we have to take the good with the bad.
    True but I will go out on a limb and declare no wildlife dept is craxzy enough to release hogs.
    Henry Ford

It seems like DNR introduced all species that are wanted and none of the species that have turned out to be detrimental to more sought after game. Does anybody not think that DNR could have introduced some of the species that are hurting our native species and it backfired on what they thought would happen?

I think our DNR tries and wants the best for our animals but I also think they make mistakes like the rest of us. I’m not naive enough to think they are perfect and always make the right decisions.

When ever you introduce an organism into an ecosystem where it does not exist there may be a benefit but also usually an unintended consequence which generally impact native species. As Red Huck said the good with the bad. I know NCWRC claims white perch are native to our rivers but I NEVER saw one until the late 80’s. So I know where some of them came from. They are negatively impacting our fresh water fisheries in a big way but like coyotes and hogs, here to stay.
    Henry Ford

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213