Camera Land, IncSouthern Junkey

Thread: Trying to Call Them

Default Trying to Call Them

I am surrounded by FMNF land. I have baited a few coyotes to my back yard. I bought an Eco Tech caller
    and have gone out several times to try and call some. So far I have tried small food plots, open woods and
    gated forest roads. I have seen plenty of scat, tracks, and howling after dark. My caller has a female howl,
    kiyi, male howl, pup in distress, cotton tail, jack rabbit, fawn, wood pecker, coon, grey fox , bob cat, and crows.

I always pay attention to wind direction and nearly always call in hawks and owls. The crow call absolutely works!
    So far, after about 15 sets I have not seen a coyote or bobcat.

Given my calls what would you guys try as far as sequence or do you stick to one call?
    Also just got a weasel toy so will soon have a lure.

Keep in mind all Nat. Forest must hunt daytime.

Just my suggestions and what has worked for me- Female lone howl first, here's why IMO- females are really territorial, so females will come to female lone howls, male coyotes want some action so males come to female calls, pups or young coyotes want to be around their mother so they too will come to the call.

Next move is based on any responses. If a female responds, you may want to throw out a female challenge (aggressive move) or pup distress, pup fight, something pup. If you don't want to be as aggressive go food source, rotate between any rabbit distress,bird distress, prey distress. As soon as I see a coyote I am down to a low volume coaxing call (vole squeaks or mouse squeaks) make them look for that small prey.

If no response to the first lone female howl, I duet call, male coyote and female coyote. First was lone howl, now a male joins in...... pisses males in the area off. Now slide into your rabbit/bird distress, now they're eating in my territory.

Now, any barking at you at any time you challenge back but you don't want to be over aggressive. Learn the challenges on your ecall, there are levels of challenge barks with female being less aggressive and deep male barks the most aggressive.

Remember what got responses in your area and remember prey you used so you don't over use in an area.
    These are good sequences April to November.

December to March use female,female,female- breeding season. Female whimpers,female whines, female lone howls - aggressive would be coyote fights, coyotes are fighting over the ladies. If you hear coyotes fighting, use a fighting call

Pup calls come into play once pups leave the den in late summer

Calling is really all about the 3 Fs- food,fighting and sex
    Hope this helps
    I never lose, either I win or I learn.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl4...KYrd6gYeMvlnbw

Thanks Mailman. I am thinking about going out before daylight and trying to locate before I hunt.
    Should I use the female howl for that also? I thought I would drive the forest roads and stop at gated roads,
    stick the caller out and howl. If I get a response I can make a set up the road at daylight.

Are you hunting daylight for them? Early morning howls and right at dark howls tell you their bedding areas. Note those for daylight hunting. I generally hunt feeding grounds during darkness

- - - Updated - - -

Locating I just use different howls. A lone howl then a duet then back to a lone howl. Fox pro coyote locator was always good, MFK Blackout howl, talk to me howl and hello howl gets mine stirred up here
    I never lose, either I win or I learn.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl4...KYrd6gYeMvlnbw

Mailman alluded to this point earlier, and that is, "match the hatch". Don't use your "baby cottontail" or "fawn in distress" during your cold weather months. All of your babies are juveniles at this point.
    Hunting open woods in the daytime can get tricky. They can and will circle your set up without you knowing they are even in the world. Or its the, now you see them, now you don't game. Which is where call volume plays a huge roll into coaxing them in. I personally don't set up on open fields or bigger food plots in the daytime. Our coyotes respond differently than those in KS, Oklahoma that you see on TV shows. They just don't seem comfortable in an open field in daylight. Nighttime is a different story. We kill the majority of ours on logging roads, cutovers, third row thinned pines or pinch points where they are trying to circle down wind. I hope some of this helps. We will be back after them this weekend hopefully!!