Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermySwamp Boogers

Thread: Best Deer bullet ?

Default Best Deer bullet ?

Be forgive me if I missed this topic in a past post.
    Season is over now, I'm reevaluated my equipment choices for next season. It keeps me in the zone for the off season.
    I have been a big Hornady fan of SST until this season, I shoot a deer in the lungs and it keep walking, when I recovered the deer a 1000+ yards away . I found my bullet under the skin in pieces ? That's why I'm reevaluating my bullet choice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Way too broad of a question without considering caliber, chambering, handload or factory ammo, range of shot distance etc etc.

Sorry I didn't include that caliber was 25-06, factory load (117gram bullet) and the distance was about 100yrds. Broadside shot

Quote Originally Posted by Mvrocky View Post
    Sorry I didn't include that caliber was 25-06, factory load (117gram bullet) and the distance was about 100yrds. Broadside shot

You mean to tell me that you shot a deer through both lungs and bullet was in multiple pieces just under the skin on the opposite side and the deer just "walked" away and made it 1000 yds!! That is 3000 feet!! Well over a half mile.. Give me a break!!! If you had an SST go through both lungs there's no way that deer made it 1000 yds...
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

It did just walk away ! If I wasn't here I wouldn't believe myself, but it did happen !
    Maybe defective bullet or ???

20181019_124534.jpg20181019_124613.jpg

Entrance and exit of SST shot @ 25 yds...

Defective bullets..What would be defective??. It doesn't happen near as often as some would like you to think...
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

I can't tell you the""BEST DEER BULLET"" -- but I killed three this year with the exact round you speak of ( Hornady Superformance 117gr, 25-06 ) the biggest was 170lbs. and all dropped in tracks -- killed two more with Hornady Superformance 139gr. in 280 caliper -- same results DIT* --my difference is I shoot all my deer in the neck __ a deer's neck is 5 inches wide and I can take any rifle I have and shoot within a 5 inch circle -- all 5 deer were within 100yds and dropped where they stood* -- over the years I have had the same results with .270,.308, & 30-06 as well as the 25-06 using the Federal Premium Nosler Partition, before swithching to Hornady** __ but there again, I only shoot for the neck___ good luck,Monk

I don't think there's anything wrong or "defective" with the bullet. There's also no reason to be surprised a deer didn't go DRT from a double lung shot. Again, that has no bearing on bullet. If you don't want a deer to walk, run or skip away, shoot it in a spot that will drop it DRT. Shot placement kills, not caliber or bullet type.

A Hornady SST is not a projectile that is designed for maximum weight retention. The bullet (soft lead core) is design for rapid expansion (large and multiple internal wound channels) so while an SST can absolutely give an entrance AND an exit wound, one shouldn't be surprised is the don't get an "in" and an "out." Understanding how bullet composition relates to on-target bullet performance will help these "re-evaluations" from being necessary.

Bottom line, the bullet didn't let you down, do anything wrong or is somehow defective. You simply have to match the bullet composition to your desired results. There's no such thing as the "best deer bullet." There are only bullets that best suit the shooter's desired results.

Plus, never underestimate a wild animal's will to live.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

Barnes TTSX of Sierra GameKings in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10

your bullet was 117 grains not grams
    I have never had an Interlock bullet perform that way in mine...I have never recovered a bullet from my .25-06
    Yippee Ki Yay

As most of us know "shot placement" is way more important than what bullet type, or size you use.

Accuracy is another important factor that's at the top of my list, size is second, speed is third.... But bullet performance is at the bottom of my list.

You could use a 30-30 with a round nose regular hunk of lead bullet and if it hits the deer in the right place, its dead right there! Wrong place,,,,off it runs.

Its not what you shoot,,,,its where you hit your target that counts!
    Last edited by Capt Rick Hiott; 01-12-2019 at 05:09 AM.
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Lung shot Deer are going to run just about every time, no matter what you shoot them with. If you're a Hornady fan then try their American Whitetail Interlock BTSP ammo.

Ran low on my Daughter's 243 Win ammo and could only find some Hornady American Whitetail ammo to use in a hurry. Last three Deer she killed were shot with it. All three bullets preformed great, one passing through one shoulder and spine of one Deer, and another other bullet passed through the spine and both shoulders of another Deer, both of which dropped in their tracks. The third Deer was hit through both lungs AND ran about 30 yards and dropped. Bullet exited and left a good exit wound.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    If you're a Hornady fan then try their American Whitetail Interlock BTSP ammo.
    my .25-06 really like the old Custom load with this bullet. Hornady told me these were the same with a slight ojive change. I still use that bullet in my hand loads.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Big Monk View Post
    I can't tell you the""BEST DEER BULLET"" -- but I killed three this year with the exact round you speak of ( Hornady Superformance 117gr, 25-06 ) the biggest was 170lbs. and all dropped in tracks -- killed two more with Hornady Superformance 139gr. in 280 caliper -- same results DIT* --my difference is I shoot all my deer in the neck __ a deer's neck is 5 inches wide and I can take any rifle I have and shoot within a 5 inch circle -- all 5 deer were within 100yds and dropped where they stood* -- over the years I have had the same results with .270,.308, & 30-06 as well as the 25-06 using the Federal Premium Nosler Partition, before swithching to Hornady** __ but there again, I only shoot for the neck___ good luck,Monk
    Where in the neck? Towards the base, middle, or head?

I belong to the "shoot 'em in the neck" school of thought, regardless of the caliber, chambering, or bullet choice. Just because I personally choose Winchester SuperX ammo chambered in .308, is irrelevant since I'll take a neck shot over a double lung or high shoulder any time.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

Quote Originally Posted by tsfallbrook View Post
    Does it matter? Pretty much anywhere in the neck will sever the CNS and lead to a DRT kill. If I had to say "where in the neck," I'd say "middle" to upper-middle. I'm not a fan of head shots. I don't know that I have any particular reason. I just don't take them.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas4 View Post
    I belong to the "shoot 'em in the neck" school of thought, regardless of the caliber, chambering, or bullet choice. Just because I personally choose Winchester SuperX ammo chambered in .308, is irrelevant since I'll take a neck shot over a double lung or high shoulder any time.
    I'm with you, RT. Neck shots are most definitely my preferred shot placement.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

Don't take this the wrong way, but since you seem like you aren't that experienced I'd suggest a high shoulder shot over a neck shot. You will get the same results as a neck shot except you may have to cut a throat every now and then and you have a much larger target.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangstick View Post
    Does it matter? Pretty much anywhere in the neck will sever the CNS and lead to a DRT kill. If I had to say "where in the neck," I'd say "middle" to upper-middle. I'm not a fan of head shots. I don't know that I have any particular reason. I just don't take them..
    Lowest percentage shot, the part of the deer that moves the most and quickest which eventually leads to blowing off of a jaw and a deer starving too death.
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

I never shoot for the head/ear area for the reason above -- low %%% shot -- but I do shoot the neck for the quick kill factor and not having to track**

I just fine me a big chunk, middle of the neck in my cross-hairs ,and squeeze one off ( like the two below ) -- that allows for a little "up/down" or "side to side" movement by me**

IMG_3027 (2).jpgOctober 21, 2014 125lb. Doe (2).jpg
    Last edited by Big Monk; 01-12-2019 at 04:44 PM.

As stated in all the post above......There is no best deer bullet....Its where you put it that counts.........Heck I even kill "em" with homemade cast bullets in 44 mag amd .444 Marlin. Smallest thing I ever killed one with was a .22 long rifle out of a 2" revolver. I had temporarily stunned it with my bumper and a forehead shot DRT.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    As stated in all the post above......There is no best deer bullet....Its where you put it that counts.........Heck I even kill "em" with homemade cast bullets in 44 mag amd .444 Marlin. Smallest thing I ever killed one with was a .22 long rifle out of a 2" revolver. I had temporarily stunned it with my bumper and a forehead shot DRT.
    Fans of the .30-30 claim that cartridge is probably responsible for more deer killed than any other in the world; I argue that point and believe that the .22LR is probably the cartridge that can make that claim. For years and until the popularity of the .22 magnum and the various .17s, the .22LR was the first choice of farmers, ranchers, and of course poachers.........and not always for the same reasons.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

First thing first...
    Picture of said shot placement....

Quote Originally Posted by SCbowhunter1000 View Post
    Lowest percentage shot, the part of the deer that moves the most and quickest which eventually leads to blowing off of a jaw and a deer starving too death.
    Truth
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

The thing is... they call it the vitals for a reason. I have shot Hornady bullets exclusively for many years. They have always got the job done in fine fashion,,, mostly bang flops. SST's, Innerocks, and this year GMX's. I believe in and trust my hunts to Ruger firearms Hornady ammo... they just plain work!
    Ruger 77 .243
    Ruger 77 .308
    Ruger No. 1S 30-06
    Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter .41 mag
    Leupold Optics
    Hornady Ammunition

I switched over to Federal Premiums with Sierra Game King bullets last year for my 30.06...have only had to track one deer since, a large buck I gut shot it when it took a step right as I shot from 200 yards. It went less than 150 yards and died. The rest dropped on the spot.

Wow best bullet is a wide open question. I switched from rem core lokt last year after 2 bad results in a row. Now shooting Hornady Whitetail in 30-06, Winchester hog hammer in 223, and Federal fusion in 243. Went from core lokt accross the board to three different set ups but all have proven deadly even when i dont hold up my end of the deal. Plus all available at academy, walmart, dicks, bass pro, etc

Quote Originally Posted by dailordasailor View Post
    Wow best bullet is a wide open question. I switched from rem core lokt last year after 2 bad results in a row. Now shooting Hornady Whitetail in 30-06, Winchester hog hammer in 223, and Federal fusion in 243. Went from core lokt accross the board to three different set ups but all have proven deadly even when i dont hold up my end of the deal. Plus all available at academy, walmart, dicks, bass pro, etc
    I quit the Core Lokts 2 years ago for the same reason...3 misfires in 2 years, 2 on back-to-back hunts in the late season that cost me 2 does. Did some research, primer issues for Remington. No problems since with the Federals.