Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Protein pellets

Default Protein pellets

Any of y’all feed protein pellets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried them, and the deer wouldn't touch them. Mixed with corn, they ate the corn and left the pellets. 1st rain came and they melted away.

I have used them in the past. Purina waterproof varieties. I understand it wasn't the best product to use but maybe better than nothing...there are better products out there. If the stuff you use isn't waterproof build covered feeders...after all it is likely going to be long term project...don't just throw it on the ground and expect miracles.
    Yippee Ki Yay

Pellets.....No eat......Not worth the effort.

I put out some Big & J protein blocks year one of my club. Along with sweet potatoes and corn. Then I found out it was wild hogs eating all that stuff....

The deer weren't a fan of protein pellets but they absolutely devour Advanced Wildlife Solutions' PRO20 protein blocks and their Antler Addict mineral (powder). Those tow product are my post-season/pre-season feeding supplements and like I said, the deer on our property absolutely devour both.

Don't let the "Antler Addict" name fool you. It is packed with trace minerals that are extremely beneficial to does (especially during gestation and nursing periods) as well.

https://4swildlife.com/product/pro20-protein-block/

https://4swildlife.com/product/antle...-deer-mineral/
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

I recently switched from a spin feeder to a protein feeder. I filled it with a blend of protein pellets and roasted soybeans. Not a single deer passed by it for two weeks. I emptied the feeder out and mixed in corn and refilled it. Within two hours deer were using the feeder. Once the deer emptied the feeder i filled it without corn and the deer have been using the feeder ever since. I'm just trying to stay away from corn until the fall

couple years ago we had a small buck with a huge wound on his shoulder, he dropped his antlers before Jan 1 by Jan 15 he was skin and bones. We got his pic on a game cam and put up a feeder with corn and protein pellets mixed. He stayed on that feeder, we shifted it to pure protein pellets, no corn, he stayed on it. We pulled pictures every 3 weeks or so and you could see him gaining weight. He survived and became a small 8 point, was still on the club last year but the scar healed up so well we couldnt pick him out anymore. No way that buck would have survived if it wasnt for the pellets.

If you are going to feed protein pellets you need a protein feeder. You can’t put it on the ground. Some claim range cubes work but all I ever put out rotted on the ground.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Thinking hard about trying it out on my own land. And possibly even on my dog huntin club. I know there isn’t much food on either place

Texas hunter has protein feeders.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

A friend of mine along with the guys on his lease started using them three years ago. He said that they can already tell a difference in the size of bucks both body and antler. He bought some used BossBuck feeders off CL and started off mixing corn with the pellets. He's showed me pictures of some really nice bucks eating from the feeders just like they were eating off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by beaglepower View Post
    Thinking hard about trying it out on my own land. And possibly even on my dog huntin club. I know there isn’t much food on either place
    For supplemental feeding to have an noticeable impact you will need to make it available 24/7/365. Protein pellets are not cheap either. Do you not have any areas for food plots on your land?
    1 John 5..He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

We tried them for 2 years, we would put them in covered trough feeders. The deer wouldn’t eat them even if we mixed them with corn. If you got a thunderstorm and wind blew a little rain in in them then it would rot. Was a big waste of money for us

I know some swear by supplements but it is hard to cause an effect on free ranging deer. I suspect their success has as much to do with selective harvest as anything else. The best way to have big deer is to let them grow up before killing them. That to is tough with free range deer in the south east, especially on small properties.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I know some swear by supplements but it is hard to cause an effect on free ranging deer. I suspect their success has as much to do with selective harvest as anything else. The best way to have big deer is to let them grow up before killing them. That to is tough with free range deer in the south east, especially on small properties.
    Even on larger properties it's hard. Over the years I've gotten pictures of bucks on my land that were later killed during the rut 2-3 miles down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    Even on larger properties it's hard. Over the years I've gotten pictures of bucks on my land that were later killed during the rut 2-3 miles down the road.

The "hard" factor is why so many don't participate in some kind of year round supplemental feeding program. That's why so many only bait during the season. For me, it's about more than simply having deer around to shoot. Sure, at its core, it's about filling the freezer but I get tremendous enjoyment out of watching deer grow and get closer to reaching their potential. Is there a chance deer venture on to neighboring property? Absolutely but the potential gains out-weigh the potential losses, for me personally so for me it's worth it.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

often heard, but have not used