Advertise on SCONWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Blind Hog Found An Acorn...

Default Blind Hog Found An Acorn...

Did some scouting this morning and afternoon for next Deer season. Carried my new 22 Mag just incase I came across a Hog or Coyote. Was also on the look out for Fox Squirrels so I could take a friend after one to mount.

Spotted a BIG salt & pepper Fox Squirrel about 100 yards away, and snuck up on it hoping to see where it's nest was. Saw it on the ground about 50 yards away, and then had two Deer jump up between it and me which ended up spooking the Squirrel.

I found it's nest though way up in a Pine, so took a little while finding a spot within shotgun range, to clear the ground clutter, to have a place to sneak in before daylight one morning, and see if my buddy could get it.

Had just about finished clearing a spot out, when I spotted another Fox Squirrel coming toward me from behind me. Didn't think much of it at first, just another salt & pepper one probably, which I had no intention of shooting since I have 5 or 6 already. THEN I noticed that it looked very dark in color, BUT, since the sun was behind it ( 1 pm ) I figured I was just mistaken about it being BLACK.

Have always wanted a solid black Fox Squirrel, but never had the chance at one. WELL, when this one got to about 40 Yards away I used the binos and saw that it was for sure solid BLACK!!!

Almost forgot where my rifle was leaning against the tree...grabbed it up, Squirrel noticed me moving, Squirrel turned 90 degrees and was trying to go across the tree tops to escape. He made the mistake of stopping for second to check me out. Hit him right behind the shoulder and he tumbled to the ground. He wasn't solid BLACK, but I'm not upset that his ears and nose are white.

Now, if only I can find a solid SILVER one.

Going to have Red's and mine mounted together.

Also my first animal taken with this rifle...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Pretty one. Make a nice mount
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Just use hair die,,,,,it can be any color you want!

Hahahahaha,,,just kidding.
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
    Just use hair die,,,,,it can be any color you want!

Hahahahaha,,,just kidding.
    We had a purple Squirrel around my neighborhood for a while. I have NO clue why he was purple either...

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    We had a purple Squirrel around my neighborhood for a while. I have NO clue why he was purple either...
    Had a rabbit hunter come to the club to hunt one Saturday. He said don’t make fun of my dogs. We hadn’t turned out yet and I said why would I make fun of your dogs. He said they are blue. Well they were blue and when they craped it was blue too. It appears he got some plastic barrels for dog houses that were dye barrels and didn’t clean them out very well, if you ever could. They sure ran rabbits blue and all. I am sure the dye was not good for his dogs however.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Too bad I had that pharmacology exam today. I wish I could have gone with you. Good killin

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    Too bad I had that pharmacology exam today. I wish I could have gone with you. Good killin
    I have that one tied up for you...

The Ruger American rim fires are top of the line. My father in law has one in 22 LR and it is a tack driver.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    The Ruger American rim fires are top of the line. My father in law has one in 22 LR and it is a tack driver.
    My Daughter has the compact in 22 LR, and mine is the full size version in 22 mag. Both prefer CCI ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    My Daughter has the compact in 22 LR, and mine is the full size version in 22 mag. Both prefer CCI ammo...
    His is the standard version and he is shooting 40 grain American Eagles. You can cover 5 shots with a nickel.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    His is the standard version and he is shooting 40 grain American Eagles. You can cover 5 shots with a nickel.
    I get nickel size groups at 100 yards with either the CCI Maxi Mag in 40 grain TMJ or HP. Hers will do 1 inch groups at 50 Yards with the Mini Mag. She mostly runs bulk ammo ( Remington ) for range practice which only groups about 1.25 inches at 50 yards.