Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Managing my land questions.

Default Managing my land questions.

I'm wondering how to get good information on how to manage my land with regards to the timber on it. Whether it should be thinned, selective harvested etc. It was clear cut of pines 17 years ago and has grown back in naturally with some areas so crowded that most of the trees would only qualify for pulp wood but others contain some very soon to be timber sized trees. I walked the land pretty carefully Sunday and came to the conclusion that the areas that need thinning are not going to be of use for much of anything, or if so, only after more years than I may have left.

Should I contact a forestry agent, logging company, or someone else?

Thanks
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

There are some good independent timber management guys here. Sounds like it is about time to do a selective cut of some kind...but trees are not my forte.
    Yippee Ki Yay

You can probably contact a logging company, that way if they deem it's time they can go through the rest of the process. I also think a forestry agent could also help you out.

Go with a forester and then he can handle the rest. AMF out of Sumter is one I am familiar with. They have offices all over the SE.

Hair thick pines will never ever amount to nothing and should be killed with herbicide.. Optimum would be to clear cut half/spray and replant(creates a bedding area). Do the same think to the other half when the new pines are about 8 years old.......A pine has to be 16" or greater at the stump to be a lumber log. Anything less is chip & saw. Which brings less money......Leave any and all hardwoods alone.

Quote Originally Posted by driftmaster View Post
    Go with a forester and then he can handle the rest. AMF out of Sumter is one I am familiar with. They have offices all over the SE.
    Thanks, I am making contact with their Charlotte office this morning.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Call the SC Forestry Commission. One of their foresters will come walk your land with you free of charge. They're a great resource that has zero bias about what you choose to do with your timber, and most of them also have a good knowledge of wildlife. I had one come walk my little ten acres with me several years ago. We had a good time just talking about the woods and animals, and he sent me a written summary of his suggested course of action - based on my goals for my land. It was a great experience
    -Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by CUwader View Post
    Call the SC Forestry Commission. One of their foresters will come walk your land with you free of charge. They're a great resource that has zero bias about what you choose to do with your timber, and most of them also have a good knowledge of wildlife. I had one come walk my little ten acres with me several years ago. We had a good time just talking about the woods and animals, and he sent me a written summary of his suggested course of action - based on my goals for my land. It was a great experience
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net