Camera Land, IncSwamp Boogers

Thread: Another Fox Squirrel For Her...

Default Another Fox Squirrel For Her...

We went to scout some new ground for this coming Deer season. She carried her 20 Gauge single shot to shoot any Grey Squirrels we happened across. Shot two right off, then spotted a Fox Squirrel a long way off, and we stalked it. Turned out to be one like she already killed, and the same size so we passed it up.

I was marking it's location on my GPS, when she spotted 3 Does walking through the woods, then spotted a Buck ( could tell he had dropped antlers already ) a little while later.

Decided to work our way back towards the truck, through some tall pines and see if we might find her a different color Fox Squirrel. Didn't take long to spot another, and we spent 30 minutes stalking it. Got in 20 gauge range ( I thought ) and she took a shot at it. It didn't even flinch, and proceeded to go back to feeding on a pine cone. Guess I seriously misjudged the range.

We stalked up closer while the Squirrel was moving around in the tree top, looking for more pine cones, and got much closer for another shot. The Squirrel spotted us and ran to another pine and hid. It took me about 30 minutes to point it out to her, and find a spot she could shoot from. Squirrel was at the top of the tree looking at us, but in a bad position for a shot.

Couldn't find a tree she could brace against to shoot from, and she finally said she could take the shot freehanded...so I let her try. He was facing directly at us, looking down us, about 100 feet up. I usually shoot #4s at Fox Squirrels, but we were close enough ( this time ) so she used a #6 - 1oz load ( circa 1960s manufacture, they are burgundy in color ) and knocked him out of the tree...

Wasn't planning to have her shoot any more salt & pepper ones, BUT, my taxidermist had already started mounting her first one, in the WRONG pose. This one was 2.5 pounds and 27 inches long.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stlhunr; 02-16-2019 at 03:20 PM.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Have mercy Red...that thing is bigger that you...did you need help dragging it to the truck?

Good Job!
    Yippee Ki Yay

Who ever marries that young lady has hit the lottery. Can she cook yet. Most young ladies her age are playing on smart phones or computers. You and Mommy done raised her right.

Quote Originally Posted by DEERSLAYERJOHN View Post
    Who ever marries that young lady has hit the lottery. Can she cook yet. Most young ladies her age are playing on smart phones or computers. You and Mommy done raised her right.
    Oh, she has her smart phone and computer time as well, but knows those don't replace - doing stuff in real life.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif