Whitetails Unlimited TaxidermyWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Flyfishing Edisto Beach State Park

Default Flyfishing Edisto Beach State Park

Hello all!

I'm a relative newcomer to salt flyfishing. I've done a little mountain stream fishing for trout, but that's about it. I recently picked up a salt outfit 9' 9wt that I haven't had a chance to use yet. We're going to Edisto Beach State park camping next weekend, and would like to wet the line. I'll be wading or using a kayak. I've researched as best I can, but the most information I find for there is "“You never know what you’re gonna get when fishing here.” An array of fish including trout, flounder, blues, and even sharks can be caught here. Spotted sea trout, flounder and blues can be caught while surf fishing in late spring through early summer". I'd hoped to work on some redfish, but would be happy with whatever.

So my question is, not knowing what I'm after, how would one best rig the line? Or is this a pretty stupid approach - generalizing rather than deciding what I'm targeting? I have a variety of size appropriate flies that came with the outfit.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

I like to fly fish also. I am still In the Learning curve. I would suggest Lefty deceiver or closer minnow. Just adjust colors for what you are fishing for. Good casting is very helpful. If you go wading make sure the surface you are standing on. The soft mud will get you. You can PM me if you want to talk.

I don't fly fish but have surf fished at Edisto SP. Mainly caught whiting and blues on cut bait. Have friends heading there later in the Spring, I will be there in Oct. Try a search for some fly fishing shops in Charleston area, and make some phone calls. Surely someone can give you some pointers. As far as the shops on the island, I don't remember seeing any fly fishing tackle, so take what you may need with you. Let us know how it goes, should be a good time for camping and fishing!

How did you make out fishing? Did you do any fly fishing?