Advertise on SCONWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Stolen SD Card

Default Stolen SD Card

I had it finally happen to me... I had a camera setup at the Manchester WMA that I left out for a few months. I wanted to see when the deer were dropping antlers, and when they started growing them again.

I was very excited to go out with my daughter to swap out the card, but it was stolen by some S.O.B.

After that, I bought a cable lock for the camera, and moved it to another area.

This ever happen to you? If so, what did you do about it?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happened to me on my own land a couple of years ago. I was just thankful they just took my card. A trespasser doesn't want to be identified so if you cable lock your camera they might even attempt to destroy it to not be found out.

I moved mine further away from a property line and haven't had any more problems. On public land you are at risk to lose your camera for sure.

BTW, welcome to the forums!
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Thanks for the advice!

I had two stolen on a separate piece of land that was the hunting clubs and caused me to buy two lock boxes. Two cams that is. Ever since then no one on the club has had any missing. I think they are safe as long as they are behind locked gates.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutdoo View Post
    I had two stolen on a separate piece of land that was the hunting clubs and caused me to buy two lock boxes. Two cams that is. Ever since then no one on the club has had any missing. I think they are safe as long as they are behind locked gates.
    Even better suggestion! I have the cable, but should go out and buy the box too.

Thanks!

I had a camera stolen on private land.It was in a lock box made of welded quarter inch steel and fastened to the tree with 6 inch lag bolts.Appears they used some sort of crow bar,pried the box away from the tree enough to saw the lag bolts.

I had the whole camera stole on our hunt land

Make sure the box will fit your camera without obstruction.

No way to stop a determined thief given the time and opportunity to steal it. In the woods usually no one is around so time is not a problem. Where do you think all these stolen cameras end up anyway. BTW Just because it is on a club with locked gates means nothing, it could be another member stealing it. Seen it happen.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Thanks again everyone for all the input!

I bought a cable lock, and moved the camera to a different area. I found a great bedding area, and tons of great picture came from all this.

Happy hunting!

I put mine up on a large fat tree with no limbs down low,,,,,and use a ladder. Don't take much to get it 10' off the ground...……..
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Yep, elevated cameras are out of sight for most potential thieves as well. Good advice.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

If it was just your card then it could have been a Game Warden.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    If it was just your card then it could have been a Game Warden.
    Please elaborate....

yeah,,,,,,,,why would a Game Warden take the card out?
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston,SC

Right! He would be stealing someone's personal property, no?
    Last edited by parallax; 08-05-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

IMHO, if only my card was stolen the trespasser had enough conscience or morals to not steal the whole camera. He wasn't "out to steal" my camera. Instead he may just have been compelled to remove the evidence that he got caught being where he might not have had permission to be.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

The camera was left on public land, not private. I have talked to several GW's that say that they take camera cards and look through the pictures, erase their pictures then put the card back in the camera. I've even seen this done on that GW show on TV. A warden may have taken it to check it out and forgot to put it back. It seems to me that if it was someone stealing that they would have just taken the whole camera...esp. since it was on public land so there was no reason the person would need to "hide" his face.

One a side note. Are you sure you didn't just forget to put the card in it? I've done that a few times.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought one got taken at my club only to find it at the end of the season under the camera. I must have dropped it.

I seem to remember the topic of GWs taking camera cards was discussed in a previous thread. Apparently they have the legal right to do so, especially if their photo was taken while they were in the woods checking for suspected illegal activities.

My question is how do camera owners know what illegal actions the GWs were committing when they took those SD cards??????
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

A few years ago one of my cameras caught an "illegal act". The deputies beat me to the camera and took my card. They informed me that they took it, DLed the pics they needed then erased them then gave me the card back. Just in general conversation I asked if what they done was legal, they said it was.

Sounds harmless enough but I'm still skeptical. If you had a camera(i.e. cell phone) on your person that they believed caught footage of an illegal act are they then entitled to steal your personal property without your permission? Pretty sure that would require a warrant if consent is not given.

S
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleLungRage View Post
    A few years ago one of my cameras caught an "illegal act". The deputies beat me to the camera and took my card. They informed me that they took it, DLed the pics they needed then erased them then gave me the card back. Just in general conversation I asked if what they done was legal, they said it was.
    DLR was this on private land or GMA.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I seriously doubt the removal of anything off of private land by any LEO without a warrant is "legal". Anyone here know a judge that can be asked? I would not take the word of a GW with regards to the legality of stealing a card from a camera on private property. That just isn't right.

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    S

DLR was this on private land or GMA.
    It was private land. Non hunting related "crime". I just happened to have a camera in the right place at the right time. I didn't push the issue because them being able to build a case and charge the person would just help me out in the end.

illegally obtained evidence is tainted evidence I would think...would hate for that to be the reason they got off...that doesn't help anyone.

in your camera isn't in plain sight either
    Yippee Ki Yay

Unless the landowner gave the LEO permission to search his property.

"Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

if you give a LEO permission to enter your premises he can only search for something in the area he was allowed and in plain sight. If he sees your gun safe in the corner he will need a warrant to look inside if it isn't open. I am not sure the landowner ...if that was a different person...can give permission to search other's property on his...only his.
    Yippee Ki Yay