Camera Land, IncWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: Raccoons getting smarter everyday**

Default Raccoons getting smarter everyday**

Set my live traps out 4 days ago,for raccoons -- have not caught another,but they are eating my marshmallows scattered in front of my traps for lead in & getting what they can reach through the trap wire** They have even tripped a trap twice,without going inside** ____ had no problems catching the first (7) within two weeks time,but these (2) new guys are ""college graduates"" I'm thinkin' ??

changed my bait to "frosted honey-buns" this morning, to see if this might help ??? I will get em' __ just taking a little longer

my little "Jake" comes by regularly to get a snack, as well as the young deer**

IMG_0028 (2).jpgIMG_0062.jpgIMG_0067.jpg

They mite be too big for the trap. If the door falls on their back, they will back out of it without getting caught. Try some grape kool aid, just the dry powder.

thanks hillbilly -- I tried a larger trap with the honey bun,cut into 3 pieces -- rascals reached through the wire & drug the bun over so they could eat the whole thing,without going in !!! will get some grape kool-aid also -- if I can find me some smaller cage wire,I'm thinking about wrapping the bottom half of my larger trap,so they can't reach inside from the outside__ that may make em' go on in the trap ?? anyways ,I'm having a little fun trying to catch em' __________ always appreciate any & all advice, thanks, Monk

You can wrap the area around the bait pan with hardware cloth , we used to call it rabbit wire. That should put a stop on the reaching. Make sure you wire your trap to a tree or sapling, ol coon will roll it over and make the lid fall open.

I always thought trapping season ended March 1st unless you had a depredation permit. That’s liable to have changed tho as often as DNR changes up laws

Quote Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
    I always thought trapping season ended March 1st unless you had a depredation permit. That’s liable to have changed tho as often as DNR changes up laws
    Well___________________ you can use ""LIVE TRAPS"" anytime,without a license or permit ___ check out the rules before you go ( scroll down to "legal traps"

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/furharvest.html

By the way, wrapping a 4 inch smaller gauge wire around the bottom of my traps,solved the bait stealing problem & I caught a couple more,this week**