Advertise on SCONAdvertise on SCON

Thread: Just curious

Default Just curious

What do you guys do with all the carp and gar yall shoot. Looking back at old post..... looked like a damn truck full..?

I don't think anyone is gonna admit to wanton waste but, for the most part, that's your answer.

my neighbor will get the "back-strap"" out of a gar and eat it -- meat is white as white and he said,it was good ( I would not try in myself,when he offered**) -- another fish with the ""white-white meat"" is what we always referred to as "eisenhowers" / yellow perch if you catch some of the larger ones* -- had a friend that would filet fish and grind them in a sausage grinder__ mix with eggs & stuff, then fry the fish patties, like you do with salmon from a can* __ I guess if you like fish,it's all good

yellowperchlg.jpg

On an episode of Swamp People, they went bowfishing for gar, they took a barrel load home and cooked them up, not sure how they prepared it though.

I've said it on here before, but gar is the tastiest freshwater fish in the Carolinas.

Pro tip: tin snips zip right through the scales and get the meat out as fast as possible for best flavor.

People do eat carp. I don’t but have eaten buffalo many years ago. Taste good but lots of bones. Those guys on tv (bottom feeders) sure sell a lot. I think Asian market.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I caught some common carp out of the Broad and brought em home to feed to my dogs. They wouldn't touch em. True story..

Quote Originally Posted by 9c1cap84 View Post
    I caught some common carp out of the Broad and brought em home to feed to my dogs. They wouldn't touch em. True story..
    The ones I ate came out of Smith Maintain Lake and were white meat. Not to bad except the bones.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Waste is kinda what I thought. I have ate gar on many occasions. I will agree they are amazing. A little hard to get in. The tin snips do work well. Machete also as crazy as it sounds. Just a shame to shoot and waste all those carp for sport. But to each his own.......

I haven't bowfished in a while, but never had a problem giving all the Carp away at the landings the next morning. I still gig Carp for Catfish bait for rod & reel and trotline fishing.
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport037.gif

Quote Originally Posted by stlhunr View Post
    I haven't bowfished in a while, but never had a problem giving all the Carp away at the landings the next morning. I still gig Carp for Catfish bait for rod & reel and trotline fishing.
    I bet it would make good bait