Advertise on SCONWhitetails Unlimited Taxidermy

Thread: SHTF Food. Basic starting point.

Default SHTF Food. Basic starting point.

It doesn't take much money to cover many days rations.
    50# bag of dried pinto beans $30, Two 25# boxes of parboiled rice $10 each.
    That's 50 pounds of each for $50 plus tax at Sam's club. This with what you already have in your pantry fridge and freezer, should take you "far down the road". I know there's a lot more to prepping than this but it's the cheapest way to get your basic sustenance.

got a lot from www.lds.org. long term storage food, up to 30 years.

Good info thanks.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

I thought up the sealing in plastic buckets in a CO2 blanket on my own. Now they re-enforced my thinking. Good information from LDS on the moisture and oil content making a product suitable for this type of storage. My plan was to use the plastic buckets and CO2 purge for all food even the MRE, freeze dried, and canned goods, just to make it easier to handle, keep dry, prevent deterioration of the can or packaging. I was going to used liquid or vapor co2 to purge, never thought about the dry ice. Also don't forget the salt. I would put a half pound or so in each bucket as it could be more valuable than gold.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Rice, beans, freeze dried, all good, BUT, you've got to have water storage, for drinking, cooking , cleaning, flushing etc, don't forget the TP.

I see several manufactures out there offering freeze dried food survival packs in a bucket. Wise was rated high and moderately priced also old home. Anyone tried any of that stuff? I would hate to but a load of it and tastes so bad you can’t eat it. I would recommend trying it out first to see if it is edible. To bad they don’t offer samplers so you can choose what you like. Same with MRE’s and the canned food. The survival canned goods are rated for 30 years while most store bought canned goods are much less. Spam is good for 25 years. I bought some spam to try as I had never eaten spam I my life. Pretty good but I don’t know about 25 year old spam.

I meet a vender at a gun show offering freeze dried food and got to sample some of their offerings. Pretty good but very expensive. Nature foods I thinks was their name.

I have family who were Mormans that did food storage for most of their life. They rotated their food out on a regular basis. I am sure they knew all the secrets but they are long gone. Thankfully they never had to deplete their pantry. Storage space is a big element.
    Last edited by Iceman; 05-28-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I tried Mountain House which was very tasty and satisfying. However, it seemed to want out a little earlier than normal. Not a mass exodus but noticeable. Never tried the LDS stuff. Was wondering how it faired myself.

Reading comments it seems the canned survival food is a little more salty than normal canned goods. Probably why it last 30 years. Each of the Freeze Dried kits contain about 10 varieties regardless of the manufacturer. Some don't sound so good and I think I would rather choose my own menu. The LDS program has been around 60 years or more before is was call survivalist and prepers.
    Henry Ford

Taste may be important during an ice storm power outage or the like, but in a real SHTF situation, taste is not as important as having food for survival. Protein and calories. Don't brag to your neighbors you're storing food, your family's lives may depend on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
    Taste may be important during an ice storm power outage or the like, but in a real SHTF situation, taste is not as important as having food for survival. Protein and calories. Don't brag to your neighbors you're storing food, your family's lives may depend on it.
    You are right of course about survival is formost when shtf however why not ensure today what you store is good tasting rather than foul. It cost nothing NOW to ensure what is in your pantry is palatable. That said beans every night even if good quality is not palatable. A special meal or two every now and then is a blessing. That times of trouble you will need all the blessing you can get. Sugar, coffee, or tea, cocco, and seasoning are a bonus too. I can eat rice every meal but other are that fond.
    Henry Ford

Look up thrivelife. They have freeze dried fruits and vegetables in a resealable #10 can. I have tried their food and it is pdg. The strawberries are killer.
    Henry Ford