Camera Land, IncUTS Web Solutions

Thread: Meteorologists- Phooey

Default Meteorologists- Phooey

Well! I listened to the weather forecasters from several channels, checked forecast on phone, and cancelled my fishing plans for this morning due to t-storms, heavy rains predicted. Not a Drop. Decided not to go at 2:30am, by 8am I felt as is I had laid out of work for no good reason (even tho I'm retired). Hope no one else scrapped their plans, & went on and had a great morning outside.

It’s frustrating. But I think it’s extremely hard to forecast correctly. Best is to go outside, look at the sky, lick your finger, and make or cancel plans.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

I was going to the hunt club to do some work on stands. Decided to make wife happy and stay home with her. At least I may her happy.

Same here. I was planning to go and changed plans. We had heavy rain Friday evening and only a few short showers Saturday morning with the heave stuff getting her late this evening. I could have fished and got home before getting wet.

I know weather predictions are not a sure thing for more than a day or so off. The TV weather, I think are more into creating news than really predicting. They are about 50/50 or less with all the modern technology. It seems they really play changes in weather and spook some and needlessly cause change in plans at both work and for sportsmen.

In fairness to the tv forecasters we have had about 3.5” of rain since yesterday morning. Just not sat morning.
    Last edited by Iceman; 06-08-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

i go by what my "weather rock" tells me. if it's wet it's raining, white is snowy, moving, is windy etc. it's as reliable as the tv forecasters.

How many other professions require that you literally predict the future, and not only that, but answer to the public at large? I'd say they're doing the best they can....

It's weather.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

Quote Originally Posted by 9c1cap84 View Post
    How many other professions require that you literally predict the future, and not only that, but answer to the public at large? I'd say they're doing the best they can....
    Very true but my gripe is when they sensationalize a non even. That is not all of them. I think the problem is filling in an hour and half of news. When they stat show a north western snow storm in our area I just laugh. It don’t work that way and they know it. Maybe a dusting. If I want the snow forecast I look at Spartanburg. If they got snow on the ground it will be here in about 3 to 4 hours. If bad in sparkle city get out the chains.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

I remember the weather guy leaning into the so called “strong wind” last year while people behind him were just walking along normally. You’re right, they sensationalize.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Bud View Post
    I remember the weather guy leaning into the so called “strong wind” last year while people behind him were just walking along normally. You’re right, they sensationalize.
    Did you see the guy standing in the ditch with a pair of waders on. Same program I think.
    Henry Ford

I see what you're saying. I dont have television. I would suggest getting your weather reports elsewhere.

We used to have a NWS station and broadcast on Spencer Mountain. I had one of the RadioShack weather cubes and they were spot on. Turned it on every morning.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Very true but my gripe is when they sensationalize a non even. That is not all of them. I think the problem is filling in an hour and half of news. When they stat show a north western snow storm in our area I just laugh. It don’t work that way and they know it. Maybe a dusting. If I want the snow forecast I look at Spartanburg. If they got snow on the ground it will be here in about 3 to 4 hours. If bad in sparkle city get out the chains.
    My main gripe about the sensationalized weather is the tornado threats. New fangled radar technology has meteorologists seeing rotation at levels that almost never turn into ground engaging tornadoes. People are hiding in their basements or closets waiting on said upper level tornado rotation to hit when the likelihood is slim. The problem with the elevated tornado warnings is that folks will see that 99.9% of the time nothing happens, so they will eventually ignore them all.

It is nearly impossible to predict the behavior of tornadoes in our region of the country and most of us will not see the one that actually hits us. Trees, hilly terrain, heavy rain etc. make seeing them rare at all. The news, weather, 24/7 media is all about viewership, ratings and advertising. Accurate, usable information is not a priority to them.
    Formerly Bill SC Hunter from the SCDNR Forums

Got military surplus weapons you want to get rid of? Lemme know!

Owner/webmaster
    Milsurpshooter.Net

As of last night, I've gotten almost 7" in the last five days. I know some people here who have had as much as 12" and some that have only received 3".

The weather man called for us to have afternoon showers beginning @ 3:00 yesterday afternoon, but the rain hit around 1:30 while I was on the tractor finishing up my food plots...........needless to say I got drenched.
    NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Palmetto Gun Rights, NAGR, GOA, Second Amendment Foundation, and proud SC redneck still flying The Stars and Bars.

We ended up with about 6". You guys got a lot of water heading your way too. Flood gate open yesterday at lake James, Norman, Wylie, and I expect Fishing Creek and Wateree. Water dropped about 2 feet in the upper South Fork River last night so not as bad as it has been in the past. Still out of banks this morning though
    Henry Ford

From the serious note. The weather can change quickly as we all know. I always check three sources when I am serious about what is going on with the weather. I have a couple app's on my phone like most of us. Keeping an awareness of the radar helps me also. Most of the time this helps but there has been times I totally made a big mistake. I just the bottom line is do our reach and list to our gut. Then enjoy what mother nature has for us. ������������

From what I've seen, Wylie is a mess. Facebook video showed a hot tub floating in among a sea of debris. I've seen it dirty before but not like the video showed.

Two kids got in the South Fork river above Spencer Mountain last night. They reportedly were swept away and went over the dam at the mountain. They fished one out this morning alive and still looking for the second. That river is treacherous when this high a lot get in trouble when the water gets high. Looks like a wild ride and it is but not like white water rafting. The biggest danger is the dams on the river.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    We ended up with about 6". You guys got a lot of water heading your way too. Flood gate open yesterday at lake James, Norman, Wylie, and I expect Fishing Creek and Wateree. Water dropped about 2 feet in the upper South Fork River last night so not as bad as it has been in the past. Still out of banks this morning though
    Fishing had 2 gates pulled. Rare to see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is true opinion." ~ Plato

"We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive. "-Aldo Leopold

I heard someone say today the ramps on Wylie were closed. I have a private ramp to use Saturday. Hope is still red as tomato soup and high.
    Henry Ford

June looking to be cooler than May. It Was the 2nd warmest May on record for my area. Calling for low of 48 in the morning