Camera Land, IncSouthern Junkey

Thread: Trouble with .45 Colt loads

Default Trouble with .45 Colt loads

I’m loading Hornady 185 gr XTP, which are a JHP. My Lyman book says the OAL should be 1.520”. There are two problems with this. One is that if I were to seat to that OAL, bthe shoulder AND the taper of the bullet would be gone into the case. There would be about .100 of the taper into the case. The other problem is once I try to seat deeper that about 1.720”, there’s too much resistance and the case crinkles. So, can I just seat to an OAL of about 1.730”? This will only put about .100” of the bullet into the case.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

Seat to what the Hornady manual says, not your Lyman manual. Are you belling the case mouth to allow seating of the bullet?

- - - Updated - - -

Just seat and crimp at the cannelure. If you are crushing the case something is wrong.

Don’t have a hornady manual. Yes I’m belling. The bullets have no chamfer on the bottom. There is no cannilure.
    Last edited by Banjo Bud; 06-08-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait until you see how expensive it is when it's free.

What diameter are the bullets?

Maybe you arnt belling the case mouth enough. I would find load data specifically for 185gr xtp in 45 colt and use that suggested coal. I would not use the Lyman suggested length. The length of the bulllet they are using is probably different

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I had a Hornady manual. Somebody on here must
    Last edited by ScLowCountry; 06-08-2019 at 07:32 PM.

I have the 7th ed Hornady. It does not list information for then185 xtp in 45 colt. It is listed under 45 acp and autorim. I do not believe that bullet is intended for use in the "long" colt.

That’s what I figured. I’m gonna pull the ones I’ve done and use them in my ACP. Thank you for the info.

it is not listed in the 9th either. I would think if cases are being crushed the crimp is too strong. I wouldn't seat and crimp in the same step and make sure all the cases were the same length when I did crimp
    Yippee Ki Yay

Jester, these crinkled even when I backed the crimp all the way off. Anyway, I’ve pulled them and labeled them 45 ACP only.

I have a new Hornady manual I just received an couple months ago . Off hand don’t know what edition. Will look in the morning to see if listed.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Bud View Post
    Jester, these crinkled even when I backed the crimp all the way off. Anyway, I’ve pulled them and labeled them 45 ACP only.
    That is probably the best thing to do...didn't we trade or talk about this another time?

the only thing I can think of that would crush is...crimp..or just not enough bell. Someone once explained it to me like this...yes..it looks like it is belled...but if it has too much bell the seating die will tell you to back it off ...others say if the bullet sits on top let it roll
    Yippee Ki Yay

Hornady 10 edition lists 185 XTP with C.O.L. of 1.245". I will copy the page if you want.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and Prosperous by letting the US Government Officials take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Hornady 10 edition lists 185 XTP with C.O.L. of 1.245". I will copy the page if you want.
    You must be looking at the ACP. A colt case alone is 1.285”. At 1.245”, the entire bullet would be gone into the case.

My bad I assumed 45acp. The manual doesn't list the 185 gr XTP for the colt 45. They do list 240, 250, and 300 gr. Sorry Bud.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Jester896 View Post
    it is not listed in the 9th either. I would think if cases are being crushed the crimp is too strong. I wouldn't seat and crimp in the same step and make sure all the cases were the same length when I did crimp
    Plus as a hand loader why don't you fit the loads to YOUR gun. The OAL is just guide line to "fit-all" guns. A little +/- won't hurt a thing.

Bought some Hornady 250 gr XTPs today and loaded them up with ease. I marked the 185’s ACP ONLY.